PDA

View Full Version : 2.54 gears of similar for Dana 44?

phelan
June 10th, 2013, 04:41 AM
After looking at gear ratios and quite possibly falling into a deal on a 478M, I'm thinking my plan of 3.07s probably won't be as low as I'd like. I know some Jags had 2.xx gears in D44 carriers, could those possibly work? I suppose the other logical option is does anyone know a late model full size GM truck that had similar gears? I wouldn't be opposed to changing the whole rear axle if I can find one with the same 6 lug pattern and I'd rather the 3" center hubs down the road anyway.

raycow
June 10th, 2013, 03:59 PM
The GM 8.5" rear was available with 2.56 and 2.41 gears. It was used in 1/2 ton trucks starting in 1980. To get 6 lug shafts you will need to get one from a 4WD truck or else swap the shafts from a 4WD truck into a 2WD housing. If you get only the gears and want to put them into a different rear which originally had 2.73 or shorter gears, you must also get the differential case (the part the ring gear bolts to). The case you need was used with 2.41 and 2.56 only. Parts availabilty and aftermarket support for this rear are extremely good.
http://www.globaldrivetrainsupply.com/gm-differential.html

I haven't got a clue about the Jaguar rear.

Ray

phelan
June 13th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info!