PDA

View Full Version : 196? GMC 4000 B-model

sc1337
July 17th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Hi, I'm a bit new to this forum and to owning a vintage GMC.
I found my beauty at a private impound lot just a few miles away. It was love at first sight in all its rusty beauty lol. I don't know much about american vehicles I've only worked on european cars so I don't know of any good places to buy parts or places to find information. So if anyone could help me with that I'd appreciate it!

Funky61
July 17th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Welcome SC from SoCalif. What's the history of the truck and how about some photos of the V6 and the interior dash as well. Keep it stock or this maybe...
Here is a photo from another forum of a B-model Hot Rodded up. Either way, cool truck.

sc1337
July 17th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Welcome SC from SoCalif. What's the history of the truck and how about some photos of the V6 and the interior dash as well. Keep it stock or this maybe...
Here is a photo from another forum of a B-model Hot Rodded up. Either way, cool truck.

South Carolina actually, I don't know the history sadly other than it has a Fontaine flatbed. I plan on keep it pretty much stock I think it looks bad-a now. It does have some rust issues in the floor pan and doors but thats expected. The guy I bought it from owns a towing service and he towed it to me on his semi for free, thought that was pretty cool, and he just dropped it off today so I get some more pics tomorrow and try to get her started!

P.S. thats a awesome truck

FetchMeAPepsi
July 17th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Cool truck! More pix! :champagne:
Have you rescued one of these trucks before? Theres a few guys here with big trucks that really dig the factory look. i bet they will offer some good tips as you go along.

If you dont have a maintenance manual you can find one on evilbay. The one manual covers 1000-5000 models.

:goodluck:

Clyde
July 17th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I am located in Abbeville,SC, my son lives in Greer and we are usually up there several times a month. Good luck, if I can be of any help just ask.
Clyde

sc1337
July 17th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Cool truck! More pix! :champagne:
Have you rescued one of these trucks before? Theres a few guys here with big trucks that really dig the factory look. i bet they will offer some good tips as you go along.

If you dont have a maintenance manual you can find one on evilbay. The one manual covers 1000-5000 models.

:goodluck:

That's a good idea thanks! Nope this is my first Truck actually, I wanted something big and unique.

I am located in Abbeville,SC, my son lives in Greer and we are usually up there several times a month. Good luck, if I can be of any help just ask.
Clyde

Will do thanks!

Ok here are some pics...

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307407429/)
IMG_0368 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307407429/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307406353/)
IMG_0370 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307406353/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

I'm Guessing it's a 305?
<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9310190466/)
IMG_0371 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9310190466/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307404317/)
IMG_0374 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307404317/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307403979/)
IMG_0375 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307403979/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9310187886/)
IMG_0376 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9310187886/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307402837/)
IMG_0377 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307402837/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9310171206/)
IMG_0378 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9310171206/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307402379/)
IMG_0379 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9307402379/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

118,783 miles, I want to change out the cluster, because I want a tach and voltmeter.

6066gmcguy
July 18th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Its a 1964-66 truck, cab style narrowed that down. Still downloading your pics...

Too many of these truck have been cut down to one ton chassis, or lowered, not many kept stock, which is too bad as at some point in the future thats he way people will think they come from the factory, I say keep it stock so that some history is saved as it should be.

They can be fun trucks, but you need to run with the bigger truck owners a little more, so also beside this fine group, check out the American Truck Historical Society, you can find a link to they forum on my site, the 6066 GMC Guy.

Also see my site for the double cluster setup GMC had in a lot of the bigger trucks, you can find them in other large trucks and mix & match the parts to bould what you want, I have one I built onthe site.

Whats the vin number?

6066gmcguy
July 18th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Looking at the photos, I see your door are rusted, but the good news is, a door from a pickup will work, you just need to cut the lower front corner off, there is even a line on the door to show you were to cut.

sc1337
July 18th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Looking at the photos, I see your door are rusted, but the good news is, a door from a pickup will work, you just need to cut the lower front corner off, there is even a line on the door to show you were to cut.

Oh cool thanks I was wondering about that. The Vin is BVH4012 F1010G
I plan on just cleaning her up with parts that could have came on it, and after
I get the 305c cleaned up I wanna get some plaid covers lol

6066gmcguy
July 18th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Your Vin tells us this:

B = B-Model
V = Vacuum-Hydraulic Brakes
H = Heavy Duty
40 = series 4000
12 = wheelbase, 187 inches
F = series 1964-66
1010 = serial number, 10 unit built that year
G = DOT GVW Rating.

The vin number should made this a 1964 or 1965.

sc1337
July 19th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Your Vin tells us this:

B = B-Model
V = Vacuum-Hydraulic Brakes
H = Heavy Duty
40 = series 4000
12 = wheelbase, 187 inches
F = series 1964-66
1010 = serial number, 10 unit built that year
G = DOT GVW Rating.

The vin number should made this a 1964 or 1965.

Wow thanks! so it could be the 10th B model with the new window style?

6066gmcguy
July 21st, 2013, 02:30 AM
Yes it could. Nice find eh.

sc1337
July 24th, 2013, 07:18 PM
she's alive... almost

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9360827282/)

FetchMeAPepsi
July 26th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Let there be light! I see an extension cord in the corner. Is she hooked up to 110? :D

sc1337
July 26th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Let there be light! I see an extension cord in the corner. Is she hooked up to 110? :D

Haha nope just battery power. Amazingly the lights, starter, gauges all work except for a few marker lights.

FetchMeAPepsi
July 26th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Awesome! That's more money saved. I'm really diggin that beefy look. {AIRHORNNNNN!} Outta my way, econo-boxes!!:yeeuh::yeeuh:

6066gmcguy
July 26th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Nice goin eh.

6066gmcguy
July 26th, 2013, 03:42 AM
B-Model & LCF art work.

sc1337
July 26th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Awesome! That's more money saved. I'm really diggin that beefy look. {AIRHORNNNNN!} Outta my way, econo-boxes!!:yeeuh::yeeuh:

thx man. It looks like a bulldog when I pull up lol and yea I need an airhorn haha

sc1337
July 26th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Nice goin eh.

thanks! do you know if the master cylinder is exchangeable with lower models? I put fluid in the reservoir and it just leaks through the firewall when the brake or clutch is depressed.

6066gmcguy
July 27th, 2013, 07:14 AM
No, you need one for the bigger truck as there is a 3rd line the runs down to the brake boster.

sc1337
July 27th, 2013, 07:59 AM
No, you need one for the bigger truck as there is a 3rd line the runs down to the brake boster.

oh alright, thanks. This rebuild lot says it fits, any thoughts?

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

6066gmcguy
July 28th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I can't say I have not had one apart for either size of truck.

sc1337
August 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Well I removed the master cylinder and its severely rusted/pitted so I've been looking for a replacement and the only one i could find with the aux port to the brake booster was a Bendix 11201 Master Cylinder. Still have to double check the bore sizes but it looks like the best choice for the bigger trucks.

sc1337
August 14th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Just bought a ''big truck'' cluster. Does anyone know how to hook up the vacuum reserve gauge? I'm assuming it goes to the vacuum tank? Also where to find a tach assembly I haven't been able to find one.

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9509222221/)
IMG_0520 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9509222221/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

FetchMeAPepsi
August 14th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Just bought a ''big truck'' cluster. Does anyone know how to hook up the vacuum reserve gauge? I'm assuming it goes to the vacuum tank? Also where to find a tach assembly I haven't been able to find one.

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9509222221/)
IMG_0520 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/9509222221/) by sc1337 (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>@N08/), on Flickr

The tachs come up on Ebay every now and then. Sometimes they're stupid high but just as often someone will price them about 50-75.00 shipped

sc1337
August 14th, 2013, 10:05 PM
The tachs come up on Ebay every now and then. Sometimes they're stupid high but just as often someone will price them about 50-75.00 shipped

I think I worded that poorly. I have the Tach gauge, but I don't have the tach cable or the camshaft take-off that's what i'm looking for. Or was that what you meant?

bigblockv6
August 15th, 2013, 05:16 AM
The vacuum gauge on the big truck cluster is for the Hydrovac brake booster so in your case if it's going to be used in a light duty truck in won't work for that purpose. You can just hook it up to manifold vacuum as a mileage minder type gauge. The tach drive parts are definitely something you're going to have to search for, I've had a few of these in the past but have sold them off to other members but hopefully someone on this site has the stuff. There is a fitting that screws to the back of the cam then attaches to the tach drive so make sure that's included. As for whoever mentioned a tach for $50-$70 you're way off unless it's just a standard Sun RC-50 which resembles the GMC/Sun RC-5A. The RC-5A has the GMC style block numerals you won't find one of these for less than $300 and most won't include the transmitter box. I've seen some real outrageous prices on these tachs recently on ebay ranging from $450-$600.

Funky61
August 15th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Here's a photo of what you're going need. Maybe someone parting out a big truck will have it.

sc1337
August 15th, 2013, 06:06 AM
The vacuum gauge on the big truck cluster is for the Hydrovac brake booster so in your case if it's going to be used in a light duty truck in won't work for that purpose. You can just hook it up to manifold vacuum as a mileage minder type gauge. The tach drive parts are definitely something you're going to have to search for, I've had a few of these in the past but have sold them off to other members but hopefully someone on this site has the stuff. There is a fitting that screws to the back of the cam then attaches to the tach drive so make sure that's included. As for whoever mentioned a tach for $50-$70 you're way off unless it's just a standard Sun RC-50 which resembles the GMC/Sun RC-5A. The RC-5A has the GMC style block numerals you won't find one of these for less than $300 and most won't include the transmitter box. I've seen some real outrageous prices on these tachs recently on ebay ranging from $450-$600.

well I have a 4000 with the hydrovac so do you know where/how its setup? I got the whole cluster for $35 so not bad In my book.

bigblockv6
August 15th, 2013, 06:21 AM
A friend of mine has a 65 4000 series that he's scrapped, I'll find out what's left of it. I do remember the hydrovac underneath the driver's side of the cab somewhat sticking outside the back. Last I saw everything including the vacuum gauge was hooked up, I will try to find out more in the next several days, problem the truck is up about 200 miles away from me up in the gold country in California.

sc1337
August 15th, 2013, 06:34 AM
A friend of mine has a 65 4000 series that he's scrapped, I'll find out what's left of it. I do remember the hydrovac underneath the driver's side of the cab somewhat sticking outside the back. Last I saw everything including the vacuum gauge was hooked up, I will try to find out more in the next several days, problem the truck is up about 200 miles away from me up in the gold country in California.

awesome! that would be great if you have time check to with him, I'd really
appreciate it.

sc1337
August 22nd, 2013, 05:37 AM
Just went through the entire electrical harness and took apart every connector and filed them to new condition, perfect continuity. Also bought a chrome powermaster alternator so she's about to be operational!

sc1337
September 11th, 2013, 12:24 AM
<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

FetchMeAPepsi
September 11th, 2013, 02:48 AM
ho4l94UQ1as

Fixed it for ya. You only put the youtube video number in instead of the whole link

ho4l94UQ1as

sc1337
September 12th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Fixed it for ya. You only put the youtube video number in instead of the whole link

ho4l94UQ1as

Oh, thanks!

sc1337
September 25th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Well I got her to drive around back with no hydraulics...

sc1337
February 28th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Got some cleaning done.

FetchMeAPepsi
April 11th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Time for some more pics!
Do you notice it running different after the cleanup?

sc1337
May 5th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Time for some more pics!
Do you notice it running different after the cleanup?

I know I need to get on that. I haven't had it started since last year, but I'm sure it couldn't have hurt lol

sc1337
May 15th, 2014, 11:54 PM
I've had some of her decals reproduced and they look like great quality!

sc1337
November 12th, 2014, 02:30 AM
got a tach cable made.

Funky61
November 12th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Looks great! Where did you have it made and what are the particulars?

sc1337
November 12th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Looks great! Where did you have it made and what are the particulars?

thanks, I ordered it from Texas Industrial Electric. they were very helpful in getting all the measurements.

cable specifications:
72'' length (B-model)
gauge 5/8-18'' round nut x .104 cable square
.243 OD steel housing x .130 cable
tach adapter 7/8-18'' round nut x .152 male tang

Price: $87.42

this should be added to the info site lol

Jofus
December 11th, 2015, 02:39 AM
Hey guys I am new here also and I seen that it has been about a year ago that any one has posted anything on this one but I am just curious if anything else was done to this truck. I just acquired a b-model myself, it is a 61 (well that is what the title says). It is a 2 1/2 ton chassis grain truck with a dump bed on it. would really love to see a updated picture of this truck if anything else has been done to it. I also have a few questions for you about gear ratios and truck speeds. I see that you guys like pictures so I think I added a picture.

abus319
December 12th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Welcome aboard Jofus! Thats a nice looking truck!
Start a thread and fire away. I think you will find plenty of help here :welcome:

Jofus
December 12th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Ok thanks !

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

azlamm65GMC
May 18th, 2016, 05:37 AM
Awesome

sc1337
January 2nd, 2018, 03:00 AM
Hey guys I am new here also and I seen that it has been about a year ago that any one has posted anything on this one but I am just curious if anything else was done to this truck. I just acquired a b-model myself, it is a 61 (well that is what the title says). It is a 2 1/2 ton chassis grain truck with a dump bed on it. would really love to see a updated picture of this truck if anything else has been done to it. I also have a few questions for you about gear ratios and truck speeds. I see that you guys like pictures so I think I added a picture.

hey, a bit delayed but I ran into a wall getting the brakes sorted out. I have to send in the booster to get remand. other than that see runs whenever i have time to turn her over. just shoot me your questions and ill try to answer.