PDA

View Full Version : Power locks and nospins

BarryGMC
September 1st, 2013, 10:37 PM
Our gmc trucks only came with 2 types of traction aids the d44 and d 60 used a power lock and the eaton in the one ton used a no spin. The 30 spline power locks also came in international and dodge trucks until 72. Look at all of these and you may find one. I find these all of the time. The little sputnik thing is a no spin. This is a true locker and was installed from chevy in 3/4 ton and one ton trucks until 72. The 60-66 trucks have a sticker on the glove box, and the 67-72 have it listed on the build sheet in the glove box. The no spin replaces the spiders in the carrier.

dthela
September 2nd, 2013, 12:04 AM
mine is 28 spline, i need planetaries for it!!!!!! or a whole new powerlok!

BarryGMC
September 2nd, 2013, 12:15 AM
Count it again. the d44 came in 10-19-30 spline count.

BarryGMC
September 2nd, 2013, 12:35 AM
post a picture of the rear. I think you have a little eaton.

BarryGMC
September 2nd, 2013, 12:41 AM
I am looking at the carrier pictured on the 67-72 forum. it looks like a drop out carrier. Eaton, or 8.8 or 9 inch.

BarryGMC
September 2nd, 2013, 02:00 AM
OK I have been looking through my notes on odd powerlocks. volvos and jags, and wierd euro ford trucks. nothing fits. however mid 60's buicks. with the 425 and a 9.3 rear fits the bill. Post a pic of the rear. include a shot of the brake drums please. Barry

pasadenajim
September 5th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Barry, mine is a 1965 K1500 (GVW 8100 lbs) with the std D 60 and was a 4.56:1 now a 3.70:1 but still an open diff. Any chance you might have a posi unit (or even locker) in the area of 3.70 or lesser number / higher ratio? If you want you can contact me via direce email: jim@james-associates.com when you have a moment. Thanks, JIm Hyde Phx AZ.

dthela
September 16th, 2013, 11:00 PM
my rear is the same as the one on the left in the above picture, counted 5 times, 28 spline.

BarryGMC
September 17th, 2013, 02:35 AM
The rear that you posted in the 67-72 forum is not a dana 44. The picture with the ring and pinion is some sort of drop out third member rear. Dana 44 should look like this. yours is the other pic. Spicer made powelocks for a lot of other rears. We just need to know what.

BarryGMC
September 17th, 2013, 03:26 AM
here are some pictures of a 1962 gmc d44 coil spring rear with 3.07 gears and a powerlock

pasadenajim
September 17th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Has anyone had an experience wherein a "too high" ration was installed into a rear end? I'm just wondering what would be an ideal ratio (Power Lock) for a K1500 4 spd (compound low) that would allow highway crusing without "buzzing" the 305 yet still be low enough for medium to light towing. Any suggestions?? Jim Hyde, Phx AZ

BarryGMC
September 17th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Here is the internals of the D60

BarryGMC
September 17th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Hey jim You went from 4.56 to 3.73. Personally I would have gone with 3.54. But 3.73 will be fine. You wont really notice to much of a difference. The pics are your powerlock.

dthela
October 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
yep thats mine!!!!! cast d44 on the housing

dthela
October 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
same internals in mine with the interlocking planetary shafts! any planetaries laying around???

BarryGMC
October 3rd, 2013, 01:11 AM
The powerlock carrier looks the same but the picture you posted is not a d44 rear end. Post a picture of the whole rear end . Dana sold power locks to other manufacturers. I have seen 17-19-21-27-28-29-31 spline counts with different diameters of axle shafts. Some are cone clutches and some are disk. None of these parts are available new. But they can be found if we know what rear it is. The picture earlier in the thread shows your ring and pinion next to a d 44.

BarryGMC
October 3rd, 2013, 01:15 AM
Post # 9 and 10 show your carrier next to a d44 and post 10 shows a d44 with the cover off. Not the same as yours.

dthela
October 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
i'll try and get some more pictures to you of the carrier and housing and axles, thanks for the continued help. picture number 10 looks the same as my carrier unless i'm missing some slight difference. the exploded drawing is identical to the parts in mine.

pasadenajim
October 4th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Barry, the pkg arrived here just this afternoon. Will try to get to the front end and do a spline count and advise. Jim

bozzhogg
October 4th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Hay does anybody know what kind of posi-traction unit will fit the Timken rear-end in my '66 GMC with #10,000 weight capacity and a '12 flat bed??? Ross.Hodges Durham,NC.

BarryGMC
October 4th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Two questions first, is your truck a2500 series? Second does your truck have 8 bolt wheels and a round differential cover? If you answer yes to these then you can put a Detroit locker in. There are two ways to do this. First way is to find an original locker for your rear. Second way is to buy a new 14 bolt locker and use newer axles. I have done this both ways. It's really easy. Finally your truck should have an eaton rear if it's what I think it is. Pm me and I can walk you through it. Barry

BarryGMC
November 26th, 2013, 04:16 AM
I was looking through my stuff today and found an original no spin informational packet that came with our trucks that had the no spin option. Thought I would share it with you. Sorry the rest will come later. Gotta Go. Barry.

FetchMeAPepsi
January 12th, 2015, 08:05 PM
I got an email this weekend to update you guys on Barry's boy's trip so here it is. Not my words. Don't shoot the messenger!

. First . Well everyone there has been a discussion about my leaving. Its not really about one person but a group of people that have not been easy to deal with. I am not really sure why this was but I had to end it. Yes I insulted a few people. I won't apologize for that and in context of some of my behind the scenes conversations it was really tame. I offered all of these guys a phone# but no one called. So after months of being irritated I asked Jeannie to unsubscribe me.

Update on the boy: So after a spring and summer of fishing camping and soccer. He has had a lot of fun. Caught a lot of fish. Found a cute girl. He decided he needs a 4x4 truck. He got scared to death a week ago in a snowstorm driving a short wheel base rig with lockers front and rear. I did not really teach him to handle the quirks of a rig set up that way. So now we are building a 60 GMC 4x4. Its a bits he picked out the parts from the stash. However it will be powered by Chevrolet. 409 Chevrolet. Only a rear locker. He insisted on that. So that's it. Enjoy those V6 jimmies and drive em. Barry

I guess he still reads the boards from time to time and he saw Culver's question about the kids. I won't post any more of Barry's emails because I understand the problems it can cause, but I thought everyone might want to hear about his son's trip. The boy didn't do anything so I hope that's alright. It was a good story. Caught fish and a girl, how bout that? Lucky dog!

If this isn't OK Jeannie just delete it. No harm I'm not taking any sides.

jagarra
January 14th, 2015, 12:23 AM
Since this thread started with a power lock differential subject, I will ask a question about them. I removed the differential cover to see how much gunk had accumulated back there, I was surprised to see really clean 90 weight and no gunk to speak of. I saw a tag on one of the cover bolts, I was hoping it was the gear ratio, but no, it said to use power lock lubricate in this unit. Seems this truck has that rear end. Now in my maintenance manual it says to add some power lock lubricant. Well my Valvoline 90 wt. says it is for limited slip applications, is this good enough or should I go buy some of the additive stuff they sell??

FetchMeAPepsi
January 14th, 2015, 01:58 AM
Since this thread started with a power lock differential subject, I will ask a question about them. I removed the differential cover to see how much gunk had accumulated back there, I was surprised to see really clean 90 weight and no gunk to speak of. I saw a tag on one of the cover bolts, I was hoping it was the gear ratio, but no, it said to use power lock lubricate in this unit. Seems this truck has that rear end. Now in my maintenance manual it says to add some power lock lubricant. Well my Valvoline 90 wt. says it is for limited slip applications, is this good enough or should I go buy some of the additive stuff they sell??

I've always heard about just putting 90wt in and rarely do I hear about any problems. I'm putting Redline 57904 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil (http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-57904-Synthetic-Oil/dp/B000CPCBF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421200524&sr=8-1&keywords=57904+Red+Line+75W90+GL-5+Gear+Oil) in Cecilia this summer when I do her pumpkins because it came recommended for older trucks by Jay Leno and his lead mechanic. Something about less friction and easier on the seals.

FetchMeAPepsi
January 14th, 2015, 03:22 AM
I just got told that a power lock needs a friction modifier in the oil so you'll need to add one if you go with regular 90wt. If it says "ok for power locks" or "ok for limited slips" then it already has it inside so no sweat! :thumbsup:

jagarra
January 14th, 2015, 05:16 AM
I found a bit more information too. On a thread on another forum, related to 4 wheel drives with a Spicer 44 posi lock pumpkin. They recommended going with the 90 wt with the additive for a limited slip plus adding a product called Equa-Torque, which is a friction modifier, made by Sta-Lube. Seems that works really good.