PDA

View Full Version : New to forum. 1965 GMC

Tat2ace
September 21st, 2013, 11:16 AM
I just got my new truck! She's all original, one-owner, 145,000 miles, 305 V-6, 3 on the tree, runs, drives, just needs waken-up. I even have pics from when it was new!

tommyduncan
September 21st, 2013, 02:25 PM
Very cool! By "waken up" do you mean it won't start or it just needs a tune up from sitting?

It isn't often you get to see original pics with a rig that old. What are your plans for it?

EDIT

I just noticed it has A/C. Can you take lots of pics of it and post them or send them to me? They make aftermarket kits for the Chevys but none with compressor mounts for the V6 GMC. Thank you!

6066gmcguy
September 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM
Nice truck you have there. Great old photos too.

GMC5500
September 21st, 2013, 03:34 PM
Welcome from another new member!

Nice find there and that's very cool to have those original pictures!

Foley
September 21st, 2013, 05:37 PM
Glad you joined the forum Mr. Ace. Did you find that truck in the same area where you live? From the original pictures it looks to be further down in the valley maybe? Nice find and I think you should get extra points when you buy one from the original family and get some of the history of the truck. I'm also curious as to a wake up". What kinds of things does it need to make it road worthy?

Funky61
September 21st, 2013, 07:11 PM
A Great Find, Welcome!

FetchMeAPepsi
September 22nd, 2013, 03:19 AM
great looking truck! I didn't know the original paint had such deep shine. You're a lucky guy :goodluck:

tommyduncan
September 22nd, 2013, 04:00 AM
I just reread that it runs and drives... so I guess it just needs a tune up? I guess a 305 and a 3 on the tree isn't exactly exhilarating!

Tat2ace
September 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks all. This truck will need: tires, fuel pump (came with it, NOS), battery, fuel lines, tank cleaned, fuel sender, air cleaner service, seat cover, probably: brake lines, belt, hoses. Good eye, Foley, she was bought new in Bakersfield. She's been all over the central valley, the PO was a real deal cowboy.
She runs good, a tune-up for sure though is in order. I think I'll CLR & wax the paint, Mexican saddle blanket seat cover, wide radials, and drive it everyday. I might even fix the factory A/C.
The shift linkage broke about 15 years ago and he couldn't work on it himself anymore, and never considered taking it to someone else. That's why it wasn't still a daily driver. That is fixed now. This 50 year old truck has 2 dents, one from a tree falling on the hood, the fender from the PO not setting the brake and letting it roll into a gate while loading firewood in the bed.
I am excited that this truck went from GMC, to an American combat vet, to another American combat vet.
Suggestions on common storage related problems with these trucks are appreciated.

tommyduncan
September 22nd, 2013, 02:58 PM
I like a good original owner find! And it looks fairly well optioned. I just got one running that had been sitting. As soon as I fix one thing something else starts leaking.:lolsmack:
I'm very happy with mine although yours is more what I was looking for.
I never could get the fuel tank in mine clean and I was afraid it was rusted a little thin so I replaced it. They are pretty cheap...
Keep us updated. This looks like a great truck!

Foley
September 22nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
First of all and most important, Thank You for your service to our Country Mr. Ace. Start ups from stored machinery can cause all kinds of little problems to awaken. It's those darn Gremlins who hide in the truck all those years. Sounds like you have a good list of things to work on. My first suggestion would be to get the lubricating system cleaned up and good oil going thru the engine. Drain all the old stuff out of there, drop the oil filter, oil pan, and take out the oil pump. Inspect and clean all of them. 145,000 miles is a lot of wear on that engine. Having a good look at the bottom end might tell a story. My only other suggestion at the beginning would be to do a compression test on the cylinders. Those readings could tell yet another story. Thanks again for the pictures.