PDA

View Full Version : New repop GMC park light lense rivets?

GMCNUT
October 23rd, 2013, 08:49 PM
Hey guys - bought a set of repop part lenses for the 64 and they came with new chrome looking rivets but I have no idea how I am supposed to set these rivets....anyone went through this already that can tell me? Thanks Steve

Texas63GMC
October 23rd, 2013, 11:19 PM
do you mean the parking lights in the hood? if so, I didn't use the rivets they supplied, but used aluminum rivet and a rivet gun. Get them small enough so that they fit the hole. Use the weatherstrip to cushion it and go easy. I think you can break the lens if mash too hard.

Vernski
October 25th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Good idea using a rivet gun Texas, some of the kits come with a small rivet setting tool witch by the way makes it easy to break or crack the lens. I believe
a rivet gun with the proper size rivet is a better way to do it. But remember to go easy with the pressure..Vernski:lolsmack::goodluck:

GMCNUT
October 26th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys - I want to retain the bradded on appearance and not have the stem show to match the way they came from the factory, so I am going to try using a drift punch or small phillips head screwdriver as a setting tool I guess

Pete's 64
November 3rd, 2013, 03:19 PM
I have the same project this winter and desire the same result.
Let me know how it goes.
Thanks.

kieth
January 3rd, 2014, 07:09 AM
I bought the LMC turnsignal lenses also and found the rivets to be too large a head. Found other drive rivets that have a smaller diameter head and they looked much better. The Foam cushions the lense from the impact and you just have to take your time and not try to kill the rivet, or you can damage the lense.........

just click on the arrows to advance to the next picture......Kieth

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-WTZF5KZ

:goodluck: