PDA

View Full Version : Id this rearend please.

bozzhogg
December 28th, 2013, 02:25 PM

1064Can anyone tell me if this is the Timken rear-end or not?? It's in my '66 GMC with a '12 foot flatbed. And can anyone tell me what other rear-end's will fit because I'm having the time of my life keeping it from leaking. And yes I have put several new seals in but they don't seem to last???:headscratch: Ross.Hodges of Durham,NC

BarryGMC
December 29th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Ross. That's an HO 72. Eaton rear. Where is it leaking? Don't toss it it's easy to fix. Barry Charon

bozzhogg
December 29th, 2013, 06:58 PM
It leak's from the left drum brake and the pinion seal. I have replaced the left drum seal 4-times and the pinion seal once. The pinion seal does not leak as bad as the old one it had. But the left drum is driving me nut's. I've done that 4-times and it's like it does not take two or three day's before it's leaking again the same or worse than before???

BarryGMC
December 30th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Sounds like you have a rough area or severely worn area Where the seal rides. I will give you some part numbers for a few solutions tomorrow. BLC

sclor
December 30th, 2013, 01:51 PM
bozzhog:
I have had good success in similar situations using Speedi Sleeves to repair worn shafts that are tearing up seals. You can buy them where seals and bearings are sold. You can read all about them here:

http://www.skf.com/group/products/seals/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans

pigslayer
March 29th, 2014, 02:36 AM
usually speaking what makes a seal go bad in a rear axle is a bad bearing. if it is worn the axle shaft will fall out of alignment with the seal bore. once it is far enough out of center the seal will no longer do its job. are the seals coming out torn or heavily worn when removed? give the axle a little tug up and down next time you have it tore down.

bozzhogg
March 29th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Thank's for all the info. It will defiantly come in hand. Ross.Hodges Durham , NC