PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Replacement

MHoyt1964
January 2nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
Hi All, Has anyone found an off the shelf source for clutch kits.I did see rock auto has one but it is a 12 inch set up which replaces the 11 inch which is what i took out. I'm not too sure about this replacement kit as i like to put in what i took out.
Thanks For any and all in put.
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.

BarryGMC
January 2nd, 2014, 11:49 AM
You can do an 11 inch but you have to do some cobbling. The 12 inch is the way to go. By the early 70's most gm trucks came with the 12 anyway. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi
January 2nd, 2014, 12:23 PM
I just went through this myself. Here's the thread in TRansmissions and rear ends. Barry knows his stuff too. Without him I wouldnt have ever got this much done.

http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47796

:goodluck:

MHoyt1964
February 13th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, i was able to find one local. H&R clutch Bensalem Pa.
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.

FetchMeAPepsi
February 13th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Can you tell us what it cost?

MHoyt1964
February 24th, 2014, 03:15 PM
about 200.00

MHoyt1964
March 9th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Hi All,
I have the clutch in but have encountered another issue and I'm looking for advice. I noticed today that the input shaft bearing retainer is cracked. I have a spare but it is about 5/8 inch shorter does anyone think this will be an issue??
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.

Rockdriller
March 10th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Hi All,
I have the clutch in but have encountered another issue and I'm looking for advice. I noticed today that the input shaft bearing retainer is cracked. I have a spare but it is about 5/8 inch shorter does anyone think this will be an issue??
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
Good afternoon Mark,

Actually, it may be a problem for you.
The retainer with the shorter sleeve uses a release brg. assy. that is a little longer.
The short sleeve used with the short release brg. can bind at full release of the clutch and sometimes cause real problems.
I would look for the longer retainer or the longer release brg. assy. to go with the short retainer.
I have the right stuff around here and if I find it I will snap a pic for you.
Then I'll mail the whole ball of wax to you. (If I can find it)

There might be one closer to you, but I'll look for my parts just in case.

Les

MHoyt1964
March 11th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks Les,
That is the scenerio i was afraid of, but perhaps i could just buy a long T/O bearing and use that. I think finding another long nose bearing retainer could be difficult unless some one in the club has one they would sell me.
Thank You
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.

Rockdriller
March 13th, 2014, 03:59 AM
Agreed.
I've found the long retainer in Med. duty trucks.

MHoyt1964
March 13th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Hi Les, do you have a part number for the medium duty truck long nose bearing retainer and perhaps a vendor??
Thanks Mark

MHoyt1964
March 13th, 2014, 08:29 PM
ok for those viewing this thread, I ordered the long T.O. bearing and am going to install the short retainer, does anyone feel this won't Work?? the doner trans i got the short retainer from came off a 63 GMC and both input shafts measure the same from bearing face to end of shaft. Approx 6.25 inches.
Thanks Mark

MHoyt1964
March 14th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Hi all,
ok so i now have the short retainer and a new long bearing and i'm planning on putting it all together this weekend unless some thinks this won't work for some reason???
Thx Mark

Rockdriller
March 15th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Mark...
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
Try it out before you install it.
You can see the wear marks on your old set up.
Just put it through the moves while on the ground.....make sure that when the face of the release brg. is lined up with where your old one did....that the slot where the release fork is at lines up with where the old one was.
It will....(I just wanted to make sure that I sounded really smart.)

Anyway.....let us all know what you find out.

Les

MHoyt1964
March 17th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Hi Les, so far all seems to work ok,won't know til i try to put it into gear. Pedal travels to floor as it should, has clearance between clutch fingers and T.O. bearing when relaxed.
Thx Mark