PDA

View Full Version : 305E starter part number

63burb
February 7th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I need to replace the starter on my 63 Burb but I am having trouble locating one here in the UK, does anyone have any part numbers I can cross over and hopefully source here in the UK?

tommyduncan
February 7th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I don't have a part but I think they are rebuildable. You might look into that. Brushes, bearings, etc are usually pretty common parts that aren't exclusive to a certain vehicle.

Rockdriller
February 8th, 2014, 05:56 AM
I need to replace the starter on my 63 Burb but I am having trouble locating one here in the UK, does anyone have any part numbers I can cross over and hopefully source here in the UK?

63burb...
I've been working on these for almost 40 years...(I was a factory trained "Mr Goodwrench" mechanic and worked in a GM Truck Shop from the mid-seventies till '81).
I know a couple tricks.
Were I you, I would get ahold of a starter from a big-block Chevy....Early seventies thru .....whenever...
If you are mechanically savvy you can do it. If not, find a local GM mechanic that has a clue.
You can dismantle the donor starter...clean it up, replace the brushes and bushings, get a new solenoid and abendix if needed...then bolt your end housing onto the BBC starter motor...and there ya go....(or ya can buy a rebuilt or new starter for a BBC, bolt your end housing onto it so you can cut to the chase)
Bolt her back together and you're golden.
You shouldn't even need to re-shim it.

The BBC starter has more windings in the field and the armature...resulting in more torque than the original.
It'll spin that 305 like Little Johnny trying to dodge Grannys wooden spoon.

63burb
February 9th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks

63burb
April 17th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Had no joy finding anyone here in the UK who has a clue, had my starter cleaned and checked and APPARENTLY theres nothing wrong with it, problem now getting worse as tonight it did it twice, spinning at least 15 times of trying before it actually engaged, previous owner said he had to spray ring gear with parrafin and this worked for a few months????

turbobill
April 18th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Sounds like it only needs a new starter drive, or bendix as we call them here.

jagarra
April 18th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I agree that the starter may need a new Bendix gear set up. It seems that the starter gear is not getting enough travel to engage the ring gear. Possible causes are bad Bendix, worn or bent yoke that drives the Bendix into the flywheel, also check it's pivot point for wear. The bushing at the nose of the housing could be missing or so worn that the Bendix is too low to hit ring gear. Check all the components that move the bendix assy forward, some part there may be the fault.

A possible source for parts is rockauto.com, they carry items for these trucks, not sure about overseas shipping.

jagarra
April 19th, 2014, 03:31 PM
63Burb,

Checked rockauto.com for your starter gear and they have 4 models in stock. Prices range from under $10.00 to about $30.00. Best part they ship overseas.

63burb
April 20th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I had already checked Rock and not convinced the ones they list are correct, they look like ST6 or Small Block starters.

63burb
April 20th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Just checked again and one they list looks correct