PDA

View Full Version : 1965 1 ton front disc

MJG1956
February 8th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I want to put front disc on my 65 1 ton dually. I have a 1987 chevy 1ton dually parts truck. Will the spindals bolt up to my exiting upper and lower control arms? Do you know if I will use 65 ball joints or 1987 upper and lower ball joints ? What about inner and outer tie rod ends? I really don't want to change out entire front crossmember from the 87. I was reading in the how to section how to add front disc on a dually but can't find second part or entire article. Thank's for your help.

6066gmcguy
February 8th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I was looking to do this to my 1965 one ton, but I collected parts from a 1972 donor truck and it will just work by swapping out the spindle at the 65 ball joints.

You may need to do the research on this one yourself as not too many do builds with anything bigger than a half ton. I have heard of it being done by swapping out the entire front crossmember and supension, but its more work.

one a side note, the dual master cylinder from a 72 with bolt on in place of the signel one on the 65 if you have power brakes.

quest
February 9th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I want to put front disc on my 65 1 ton dually. I have a 1987 chevy 1ton dually parts truck. Will the spindals bolt up to my exiting upper and lower control arms? Do you know if I will use 65 ball joints or 1987 upper and lower ball joints ? What about inner and outer tie rod ends? I really don't want to change out entire front crossmember from the 87. I was reading in the how to section how to add front disc on a dually but can't find second part or entire article. Thank's for your help.

Well if the older ball joints don't work with the newer spindles or if the newer ball joints don't fit the old control arms then you could just adapt the whole apparatus from the 87, cross member, control arms and everything to the 65 frame. If I recall correctly the frame rails might be the same width, check it out and see if I remember right!

Someone told me once that they could not fit a 6.2 diesel between the frame rails and that seemed odd to me so I went and measured my 86 3/4 T against my 65 and I seem to remember they were almost identical! So if they are you could easily swap everything over.

WDShaffer
February 10th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Early Classic Enterprises did confirm the 1/2 ton front cross member from the 70-80s truck would "bolt in" literally after removing the 60-66 1/2 ton cross member.

Something to consider if you have the whole setup at hand...a little measurement work is free.

MJG1956
February 10th, 2014, 11:46 PM
The truck that I have is a 1965 1 Ton Dually.I want to do away with the lock ring rims on it now and install later model 1987 dually wheels.The 8 lug lock ring wheels on it now use 1/2" studs. Later model dually's used 9/16" wheel studs

quest
February 11th, 2014, 08:23 PM
The truck that I have is a 1965 1 Ton Dually.I want to do away with the lock ring rims on it now and install later model 1987 dually wheels.The 8 lug lock ring wheels on it now use 1/2" studs. Later model dually's used 9/16" wheel studs

Hope my 1T pics show up here, do you have some pics of you dually you can post? What size are the split rims you have now? Mine are 16" but I want to find larger ones!

MJG1956
February 16th, 2014, 01:51 AM
Will try to post pictures later. The lock rims are 18". 7.00-18 tires, Mike

kieth
March 28th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Easiest way would be to use a 73 to 87 one ton front crossmember with disc brakes, this way you get discs, sway bar and later wheel studs, usually only costs 250.00 for complete front end.....as a point of reference most 8 lug wheels from even a Toyota truck are the same lug pattern, if the size of the studs are larger just drill out and install new larger diameter studs.....try to get one from the latest model possible.......you might even be able to use one from up to a 91 crewcab one ton (I do not think they changed this body style when they changed the pickups just like they did not change the body on the suburbans) Kieth