PDA

View Full Version : DANA60 gears... which ones?

tommyduncan
February 9th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I cleaned the years of yuck off of my rear diff to read the tags. It is a DANA 60 with 4:10 gears and a limited slip according to the tags.
I went to the local drive line shop to get a quote and none of their catalogs show this as having a DANA 60. They openly admitted that they are afraid to take it apart and get stuck with it at their shop while they try to get possibly rare parts for it.
SO... what application would I need to order gears/bearings/seals for? It is a 62 and even LMCs catalog(which at least says it is a DANA 60) starts at 1964.

I also have read that the tallest gears they make for this are 3:54? I would like to go even taller if I could.

BarryGMC
February 11th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Everything is not rare or hard to find. It's just a d60. They still make the same basic rear today. Go to a bearing supply house and get the bearings. They have all the info for that. Any standard rotation ring and pinion will work on your power lock carrier. You will need a new 1350 spicer yoke in 29 spline. These are easy to find and any d line shop should have these in stock. This is required because the old pinion is a 10 spline. Finally 3.54 is the highest you can go.

tommyduncan
February 11th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Everything is not rare or hard to find. It's just a d60. They still make the same basic rear today. Go to a bearing supply house and get the bearings. They have all the info for that. Any standard rotation ring and pinion will work on your power lock carrier. You will need a new 1350 spicer yoke in 29 spline. These are easy to find and any d line shop should have these in stock. This is required because the old pinion is a 10 spline. Finally 3.54 is the highest you can go.
I knew you would have an answer! Thanks again!

...and disregard that pm I sent you. I can't sell this truck.
I do have a deal in the works to trade my 63 Chevy long step for a 66 GMC ½ton long bed with a little rust and a wrecked bed. It will be much better to hack up for a project. It is also a V6 truck, possibly a 351. It is near Phoenix so I'm trying to plan a road trip to see it.