PDA

View Full Version : 4 speed manual transmission

acerna
March 2nd, 2014, 08:18 PM
I see almost no discussions on replaceing the gears from the tree to floor stick. My 61 gmc 305 v6 still works great but what about finding parts like the 1st to reverse levers. Any info wound be great. Thanks

Funky61
March 2nd, 2014, 11:06 PM
Welcome Acerna;

here is the link from Jolly's page on moving the column to the floor.

http://6066gmcguy.com/3-to-4-speed.html

FetchMeAPepsi
March 3rd, 2014, 03:03 PM
Do you mean converting from a 3 on the tree to a 4 in the floor? Or do you just mean the rods that run from the steering column to the transmission?

I cant really decode what you want. Got pics?

acerna
March 3rd, 2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Pepsi Man > I guess my question was not real clear. I don't see discussions on repairing the steering column once the first,second,third and reverse shifter levers break or wear down. I have never seen any of these parts available on truck parts magazines. What are the options besides going to floor shifter or power steering.TKS

FetchMeAPepsi
March 3rd, 2014, 07:16 PM
Ohh, so you mean the linkage off the column. Mine stuck occasionally until I sprayed the crap out of it with WD-40 (no kidding) now it's so smooth it falls out of gear sometimes when I'm in 3rd. :teehee:

I would probably pull linkage bar off, it's not hard, and weld missing metal to it if that's the problem. If the little house shaped (from what I remember) part is the problem you can weld on them too then grind them down smooth. A quick and easy fix might be to use JB Weld until youre able to get to welding on them.

I see youre in San Antone! I get down to the FT worth area every once in a while for family. I went to SA a few years ago for the riverwalk and Seaworld/Schlitterbahn (sp) and it was a big hit with the family.:thumbsup:

Edited to add: I wouldnt go to a floor shifter if it wasn't standard for that year. You might fix the problem, but you'll hurt resale value when you put it up for sale since they wont know if you did it right and a transmission is kinda important. I guess you could do a build post here and point the new owner to it though to let them see how you fixed it. Thats what I plan to do if I ever have to sell Cecilia (after selling all my kids and both arms).

acerna
March 5th, 2014, 04:25 AM
Thanks Mr Fetch me a Pepsi. Your right the linkage requires a lot of lubricant, as you well know, notorious for gears sticking. I did have that u-shape part where the levers engage machined once to make it work.Working on the brakes now.Thanks for the comments on San Antonio The weather is not to bad and don't have to shovel snow every morning.

Rockdriller
March 6th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Ohh, so you mean the linkage off the column. Mine stuck occasionally until I sprayed the crap out of it with WD-40 (no kidding) now it's so smooth it falls out of gear sometimes when I'm in 3rd. :teehee:

I would probably pull linkage bar off, it's not hard, and weld missing metal to it if that's the problem. If the little house shaped (from what I remember) part is the problem you can weld on them too then grind them down smooth. A quick and easy fix might be to use JB Weld until youre able to get to welding on them.

I see youre in San Antone! I get down to the FT worth area every once in a while for family. I went to SA a few years ago for the riverwalk and Seaworld/Schlitterbahn (sp) and it was a big hit with the family.:thumbsup:

Edited to add: I wouldnt go to a floor shifter if it wasn't standard for that year. You might fix the problem, but you'll hurt resale value when you put it up for sale since they wont know if you did it right and a transmission is kinda important. I guess you could do a build post here and point the new owner to it though to let them see how you fixed it. Thats what I plan to do if I ever have to sell Cecilia (after selling all my kids and both arms).
You could always just sell one arm and your nose.....keeping one arm so you can keep your typing finger......
Otherwise you might end up being another "nose typer".....which aint all that bad.....but nose grinding and nose welding can be a real pain.

Someone help me.

acerna
March 6th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks but i intend to keep on the tree and not go to a floor shift.Except for the alternator everything is still original from the oil breather (filter) to the transmission.Its a 61 v6 gmc and I've had it since 1967::my2cents:

GMCDAC
March 7th, 2014, 03:12 AM
Thanks but i intend to keep on the tree and not go to a floor shift.Except for the alternator everything is still original from the oil breather (filter) to the transmission.Its a 61 v6 gmc and I've had it since 1967::my2cents:

Wow and I thought I hung on to GMC's a long time! Lets see some pics of this truck! Welcome from the Black Hills!

DAC

Ed Snyder
March 7th, 2014, 04:48 AM
This one looks like it might be near you, Doug:

http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/cto/4356654097.html

FetchMeAPepsi
March 8th, 2014, 09:10 PM
You could always just sell one arm and your nose.....keeping one arm so you can keep your typing finger......
Otherwise you might end up being another "nose typer".....which aint all that bad.....but nose grinding and nose welding can be a real pain.

Someone help me.

Welding rod in the nostril, clamp on the toes, and just get after it!

Bwah ha ha ha! :lolsmack: Awesome stuff :D

kieth
March 10th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I have a complete steering column out of my 66 gmc, it worked just fine when pulled out except for turn siganals (had a signal stat big truck flasher/lever guess the wiring was bad internally) I installed a tilt wheel......let me know if you are interested,.......with a pm here.......Kieth ps do not know if it will work on your 61....

acerna
March 10th, 2014, 06:10 PM
thanks Kieth I will try to find out if the steering column are interchangeable on 61 and 66 gmc My turn signals dont work either and had to go to a universal one. Maybe our gmc buddies can enlightened us

FetchMeAPepsi
March 10th, 2014, 06:47 PM
for your turn signal keep your eyes on ebay for a nos one. They go for anywhere from 50.00 all the way up to 200.

Chevy switches wont work. Here's one that says chevy and gmc, but again they're different and IDK what the differences are. Something to do with the ears maybe not long enough? Someone else might know the specifics.

If you get one dont torque it down too much. they break easy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-1961-1962-Chevrolet-GMC-C-10-20-Pick-Up-Truck-NOS-GM-Turn-Signal-Switch-/181334554316?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item2a3861b6cc&vxp=mtr

also turn signals werent required on trucks until 1962 so you might never have had one!

Rockdriller
March 10th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Holy cow, Ed...Good eye.
I know it isn't a '60.....but it sure looks like a solid start on a great burb.

Doug,
Let us know if you go look at it.
And bring us some pictures...

Back on track for acerna's linkage.

FMP,
I think cabin fever is one of my favorite fevers of all of them.
At least you're penned up with the FMP Junior Varsity crew.

Most of the time, its just me and Trevor jockeying for position nearest the fire.

Ed Snyder
March 10th, 2014, 10:18 PM
In case anybody's having a hard time figuring out what Rockdriller's talking about, it's this Craigslist post from Rapid City, Doug's home town:

62 GMC Suburban Classic - $3000 (north of mall ridge)

1962 GMC Suburban, odometer: 63000, manual transmission

Classic 62 GMC half ton 4x4. With a 4 speed manual, divorce transfer case, limited slip rear diff., and a 351cu inch V6... this truck is the epitome of what a truck should be. Hop in the cab of this truck and take a step back in time. It hasn't been driven in six years, but it ran well at that time. Everything works, but it will need to be delivered (not driven) to its new home. Delivery can be negotiated. 3000 obo. Call or text 605-939-3970 or email