PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol (corn squeezins) gas in engines writeup in Modern Tire Dealer Magazine

FetchMeAPepsi
March 9th, 2014, 06:53 PM
For you guys that don't read, here's the gist.

Gunky engines showing up more often on a national scale.

Click for bigger pics. Its a big picture so it takes a second to download.

Might have to click one more time to get a really big pic. Dont mind my ugly hands and jeans. :guzzle:

GMCDAC
March 10th, 2014, 03:52 AM
South Dakota does require pump labeling and 15% is called E85. These laws sure kill quality. I still remember the days when gas smelled and looked good! Now it stinks and looks yellowish clear. Thanks for the article, Fetch.

DAC

melmashman
April 16th, 2014, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure if I am on the right thread, but I wondered:
1) Which fuel to use (87 Octane or Premium) on my '65 305e?
2) Is there an additive recommended for normal gas (less ethanol)?
3) Is there an additive recommended when gas contains 10% or more ethanol?
Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.
Feel free to put this in a more relevant thread.
Mel

turbobill
April 17th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I just repaired a pair of motorcycle carburetors that had some fuel preservative used with the ethanol gas. They had some green gunk in the bottom that plugged every jet in the lower part of the carb and stuck the float needles in their seats.

I use the 91 octane ethanol free fuel in everything, old and new.

FetchMeAPepsi
April 23rd, 2014, 02:14 PM
Eastwood makes an additive that's supposed to stabilize the ethanol and keep it moving through the system http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-fuel-guard-additive-system.html
But its always better to use 100% real gas if you can find it.

turbobill
April 24th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I've had nothing but bad experiences with so called preservation "additives". I never had a problem with the older gasoline sitting, especially over a short period of 6 months or less. One vehicle sat for 6 years without a problem. Started and ran fine and to this day, I've never cleaned the fuel system. This same vehicle sat for 9 years (years ago) in the south without a problem.

If I have to use ethanol based gas, I drain it if it's going to sit. I've also used 100LL aviation fuel for storage as it doesn't deteriorate over long periods. Now that ethanol free fuel is widely available, that's all I use.

Schroer1962v3000Dump
April 30th, 2014, 06:10 AM
I switched to 91 and or 93 ethanol free on everything i own for a couple years now well worth the cost.

Schroer1962v3000Dump
May 2nd, 2014, 05:39 PM
Yesterday I got a call on a 2004 dodge caravan that the transmission was going out. STAY WITH ME.... I drove about 30 miles to pick it up and bring back to my garage. With the Crappy Ethanol still fresh in my mind I asked for what fuel they last put in...........They in just the last month switched to E-85 because it was so much cheaper and their dodge is e-85 capable. The mini van didn't have enough power to load onto dolly sputtering couldn't pull itself. After loading with a winch and towing 25 miles towards home I stopped off at a gas station and started the van prior to putting gas in it, but still had no power and sputtered for a couple min.... I shut off van and then put in $15 of 93 Ethanol Free gas at $3.99 pg Towed home another 5 miles. Started the van again but this time it sputtered for maybe 20 sec then ran Flawless , Drove it off dolly and they ran around for 20 min until we where sure the problem was solved. She drove it back to work today.

Thanks for starting this thread

FetchMeAPepsi
June 8th, 2014, 02:58 AM
Yesterday I got a call on a 2004 dodge caravan that the transmission was going out. STAY WITH ME.... I drove about 30 miles to pick it up and bring back to my garage. With the Crappy Ethanol still fresh in my mind I asked for what fuel they last put in...........They in just the last month switched to E-85 because it was so much cheaper and their dodge is e-85 capable. The mini van didn't have enough power to load onto dolly sputtering couldn't pull itself. After loading with a winch and towing 25 miles towards home I stopped off at a gas station and started the van prior to putting gas in it, but still had no power and sputtered for a couple min.... I shut off van and then put in $15 of 93 Ethanol Free gas at $3.99 pg Towed home another 5 miles. Started the van again but this time it sputtered for maybe 20 sec then ran Flawless , Drove it off dolly and they ran around for 20 min until we where sure the problem was solved. She drove it back to work today.

Thanks for starting this thread

Haha! That's a good one.

I just heard that Daytona Parts (http://daytonaparts.com/carburetor-kits-and-parts.html) from florida sells ethanol resistant carb rebuild kits with special inverted needles and seats that don't get gummed up. I can tell you the needles that come with rebuild kits at Autozone don't even seal well. I kept my old one in my rebuild.
Anyway they're American made so you can't beat that. I have an email in to them about my Stromberg ww now.