PDA

View Full Version : 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Pages : 1 [2]

aphaynes
July 14th, 2014, 01:36 PM
You have a cool truck . Just chisel a way. Little by little. Barry.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
I do get my radiator sometime this week. Will be in NC for the weekend, but hopefully I'll get her back on the road by next week.

aphaynes
July 22nd, 2014, 01:39 AM
Well, I put the radiator in last week. Only got to test it at idle before leaving town. Got back last night and tested at idle again with no sign of leaks. Decided to drive it to work and back today and had no leaks or overheating...woohoo! No signs of oil leaks from previous engine work either. :) It was good to have her back on the road.

Several neighbors out walking late yesterday decided to stop and tell me how good she sounded while she was idling in the driveway. :D

GMCDAC
July 22nd, 2014, 03:55 AM
Congrats, Aphaynes, it's a great feeling when the the time and dollars pay off and a drive is a success! I remember the first time we took the '55 GMC for a real drive in 2011---the wife drove, LOL! Everyone we passed waved and was smiling, even though the truck is ugly as heck.

DAC

aphaynes
July 26th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Congrats, Aphaynes, it's a great feeling when the the time and dollars pay off and a drive is a success! I remember the first time we took the '55 GMC for a real drive in 2011---the wife drove, LOL! Everyone we passed waved and was smiling, even though the truck is ugly as heck.

DAC

LOL! Thanks DAC.
Took it for a night drive this week as well. Had to test out those headlights. :lolsmack2:

aphaynes
July 27th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Tailgate update. A short while back I was cutting up lumber leftover from a couple of projects in order to experiment making a tailgate for the truck with stuff I have on hand (see somewhere above). Dang budget...LOL.

Well, I got to get rolling with that today. I also just need a reason to use this...
<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>
This is a Shopsmith that my now departed grandfather had ever since I can remember...which is a long time ago. :) Once he passed it got tucked away in my dad's shop for years. My dad eventually gave it to me. He wasn't using it, so why not get it out of the shop. Well, I ended up tucking it away in my shed for 5 or 6 years. Then we moved here to 'Bama and I tucked it away in the corner of the garage where it got covered with boxes and stuff for several more years. Then in late 2013 or early 2014 I was wanting to rebuild a bench we had that had rotted away. So I am in the garage thinking I need to get a table saw, that way I can buy the lumber and rip it down to the sizes I need. Frustrated with my lack of tools, I look over at the stack of boxes and stuff and spy the Shopsmith that has not been used in a good 20 years. I already have a table saw....and a drill press, sanding disc, and lathe! :ahhhh:
So I promptly dug that puppy out and rebuilt the rolling base that had rotted away so that I could easily move it from garage to driveway. Then with a little internet research on the main body and an ebay search for guide rails, as mine were way to rusted; I got the thing running again fairly quickly and easily. Most of it, including the internal belt had held up much better than expected. Wait this is a truck thread not a shopsmith thread! :poke: Sorry guys, I just love having that little piece of family history on hand. :)

So put that baby up in drill press mode...
<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

Clamp the boards together to mark locations for the dowel pins...

Why dowel pins...well, I am not a real woodworker, so I did a little reading and dowel pins seemed like a good strong way to join these boards together. I arbitrarily decided on 6 inch spacing for the dowel pins starting 3 inches from the end of the boards for the first pin....why...I don't know. Sounded good in my head. :teehee:
The boards I am using are 2 2x4's and 2 1x8's, Why? Budget, that is what I had on hand that seemed to fit the back of bed nicely when I stacked them up. :ohgeesh: Again, the layout I was playing with is back a few posts.

Using these dowel pins...

Test fit of the dowel pin looked good.

So I decided to press fit the boards together before staining and gluing. Good thing I did. I had two boards that were just not pressing together on one end. Everything looked lined up, but when I removed the clamps for a better look...I somehow missed drilling one of the holes. :banghead:

Test fit is always a good idea! :thumbsup:

Here they are after first coat of Pecan Gloss.

Why that color? You guessed it, that is what I had on hand, leftover from that bench project I mentioned ;)

So now it is hot as Hades out there and I am taking a break. Is this a waist of time?...maybe, but I am enjoying it none the less :D

I hope to use the ShopSmith for making my bed wood when the time comes to tackle that part of the project. Of course I will have to price out the expense of doing that versus a ready made kit.

FetchMeAPepsi
July 27th, 2014, 01:42 AM
that is an AMAZING find! The things you can do with that sucker...
Loved the story too. I say it's your truck thread. Put what you want in it as long as it ends up going with the truck. I go off chasing rabbits in my thread all the time and nobody complained yet :thumbsup:

(the only complaint I got was on the wood splitter, but that was in the OTHER RIDES AND PROJECTS forum...what the heck? :lolsmack2: )

Cant wait to see the tailgate!

aphaynes
July 28th, 2014, 07:15 PM
This staining and gluing process is slower than expected. :poke:

With two coats of stain on, here's the center section...

Adding the end pieces took more clamping than expected. I had to rummage around in the garage for a while to find any clamp that I could make do with...

...just to get them nice and flat. I hope those dowels and glue hold up :lolsmack2:...

And this was as far as I got before the weekend ran out on me... :banghead:

aphaynes
July 28th, 2014, 07:18 PM
that is an AMAZING find! The things you can do with that sucker...
Loved the story too. I say it's your truck thread. Put what you want in it as long as it ends up going with the truck. I go off chasing rabbits in my thread all the time and nobody complained yet :thumbsup:

(the only complaint I got was on the wood splitter, but that was in the OTHER RIDES AND PROJECTS forum...what the heck? :lolsmack2: )

Cant wait to see the tailgate!

Thanks! Yeah, I have a lot to learn with that thing as well. I have only used the basic functions of table saw, vertical drilling, horizontal boring. Those last two are the same thing, but depends on if the drill is upright or laying down as to what you call it. :lolsmack2: I would love to try the lathe, but haven't created a project where I need that yet.

aphaynes
July 29th, 2014, 02:19 AM
Well, the last piece is pressed on and drying...:bigdance:

Don't look to close. It ain't perfect...but neither is my truck! :lol:

Now the part I have yet to fully wrap my head around. :scared: Those notches in the bottom piece sit over the trunions. I have bounced several ideas in my head as to how to house/wrap the trunions in those notches, butI have not made a final decision. If any ideas hit you while you are reading this :saywhat: then feel free to post 'em! Keep in mind I do not have a torch or welder to fabricate anything. If it can't be done with a hammer, or screw driver, or brute force, or....??? Well...I'll figure something out. :D I have picked up various pieces of hardware to repurpose/experiment with so maybe something will work nicely.

FetchMeAPepsi
July 29th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I had to look up the word Trunion :teehee:

Would the wood not hold it well enough if you just cut little round holes in it with a spade bit?

aphaynes
July 29th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I had to look up the word Trunion :teehee:

Would the wood not hold it well enough if you just cut little round holes in it with a spade bit?

That was my original thought until I measured when I first has this crazy idea. Unfortunately, the wheel on the trunion is 1.5 inches wide and a 2x4 is actually only 1.5 x 3.5, so no spare room with the trunion being as wide as the 2x4 is thick. :pullinghairout: :)

aphaynes
July 29th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I was considering just wrapping some metal straps around the notches, running up vertically on the front and back for the trunion to fit in.

aphaynes
July 29th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I was considering just wrapping some metal straps around the notches, running up vertically on the front and back for the trunion to fit in.

I had also considered running a steel pipe between the trunions and strapping the pipe to the tailgate. Might be hard to make that look good though.

FetchMeAPepsi
July 29th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Yeah, pipe was my second thought. Liquid nails? :lol:

You could maybe use a pipe end cap with a hole drilled in the top to run a lag bolt through. Kinda like this:

Little primer and paint and it might blend well too. Or chrome paint. Or red with fire stickers :D

aphaynes
July 29th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah, pipe was my second thought. Liquid nails? :lol:

You could maybe use a pipe end cap with a hole drilled in the top to run a lag bolt through. Kinda like this:

Little primer and paint and it might blend well too. Or chrome paint. Or red with fire stickers :D

That's something I had not thought of...(note to self :thumbsup:). Thanks!

I was also considering something similar using these concealed joist hangers.
The trunion wheel (removed from the truck) would fit inside the triangular opening as you attached the hanger to the wood. Then remount to the truck...after primer and paint, of course. ;)

aphaynes
July 30th, 2014, 04:33 AM
This one is shaped different but same principal. Ignore noticable errors in wood work. ;)

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> <br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

I need to find some pipe caps and see how they look/fit.

The tailgate sits in there pretty good, even though it is just propped for another fit check.

I know...that rear bumper is just plain awkward! :ahhhh:
Evidently the original bumper and probably the tailgate took a good lick at one time. I can only assume this due to the large amounts of bondo under the taillights. I guess the local dealer, whose name is stamped on the bumper, put this one on to replace it...and it's welded to the frame. I'm not sure how I am going to get it off and get a proper bumper back on there. To bad a date is not stamped on there for history sake. :) Hey GMCNUT, this dealer is ...or was...in your neck of the woods. Recognize it...if you can see it? :)
(Joe V. Clayton Chevy, Arab, AL)
With that bumper and the trucks Stockton, Huntsville, AL chrome badge on driver fender (a dealership that is no more), it appears it has never left this area in all it's years.

I think with the right bumper and some paint on the truck body, and a wood bed, this tailgate would look pretty good. :D

Andice
July 31st, 2014, 11:12 PM
Perhaps you could modify the trunion instead of trying to make it fit your "skinny" tailgate. A smaller diameter trunion?

Andice
July 31st, 2014, 11:14 PM
Be a lot easier to fiddle with if it was a Fenderside.

aphaynes
August 16th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Well, among sporadic traveling the last month, I've managed to get the following done.

So, the speedo was looking a bit rough...

I had installed the LEDs recommend by Fetch a while back. They are nice!:thumbsup:

The instrument cluster bezel was solid black, so I incorporated the steadier hand of my wife to dress it up a bit. Here it was in progress...

I was able to get the speedo decal thanks to Vernski providing me with the link. :tiphat:
So the final was looking pretty good.

As for the tailgate project, I decided to give the joist hangers a shot. I ordered some new trunnions jsut to have the smooth wheels for it to turn on since they were cheap.

Upon first mounting the tailgate, I realized there was a cut I was supposed to make waaaaaayyyyyy back at the begining of the assembly but completely forgot about once I got going. :ahhhh:

So off it came for some ripping and sanding...

Now before going back on the truck, I fulfilled a promise to my daughter. Back when I brought the truck home, she promptly named it Rusty. I told her then, at some point she could paint the name on the truck somewhere. So, I let her and my wife tackle the job of making it the logo for the tailgate. :lolsmack2: So with my daughter picking out the font, my wife outlining it on the tailgate and my daughter filling it all in, here is the final...

Now I know it is not a factory tailgate and all, :ahhhh:, but with all three of us having worked on it, I like it! :D

GMCNUT hooked me up by selling me a pretty good factory rear bumper this weekend. So now I will be moving into getting it cleaned up and repainted white, then figuring out the best way to cut this odd dealer installed bumper off since they welded it to the frame.

aphaynes
August 24th, 2014, 05:41 PM
So working on the bumper I was able to get my hands on. I forgot to take a before, but here it is in progress.

So now I have a couple of questions.

1) after getting the rust and paint off, I am now trying to determine the best way to remove two "bumps" in the bumper. Here is one of them...

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> <br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

I do not have auto body hammers and dollies, just a 3 lb hammer. With this heavy steel can I make that work without screwing it up?

2) with the paint and rust gone I am left with some pitting. Do I just keep sanding away at it or use a combo of priming and sanding to fill it in, or put a thin coat of filler across it and sand before priming?

I am going with the white bumpers, not the chrome; if it matters.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

GMCDAC
August 24th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Hi Aphaynes, haven't had time for replies lately got I've a GMC project going too that is taking longer than I wanted but that's for another forum. Anyway I have been wanting to say that I really dig how you are approaching this on a tight budget with the help of your family!

The dash cluster looks great and so does the tailgate. Regular body hammers and dollies won't do on a bumper anyway so the 3 pounder is probably what you want. Since bumpers are a spring type steel a press is normally required to work dents and dings out but the heavier hammer may do the trick. Painted bumpers don't have to be as perfect as chrome so it will be much easier. and you have the luxury of being able to use a little filler if needed. On that rust pitting, you can primer and sand until filled or prime then add a little filler and sand if it is too deep for a couple coats of primer to fill. Make sure you wire brush or wire wheel all the rust out of the pitting first though.

If you were closer I would sure try to deal you out of that dealer bumper. I love those things!

Thanks for the updates!---DAC

bigblockv6
August 24th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Myself being in the auto body industry for 30 plus years I would heat the surface start out with a heavy hammer and finish with a hammer and dolly.

GMCDAC
August 25th, 2014, 04:18 AM
Myself being in the auto body industry for 30 plus years I would heat the surface start out with a heavy hammer and finish with a hammer and dolly.

Thanks for chiming in BBV6, I wasn't sure if I should recommend heat as I didn't know if the bumper would lose strength. We had a "bumper and paint" shop here locally at one time and they would send bumpers to Denver to get "pressed" straight for repairs, so when I needed to do that once the press at work did to a reasonable job for a crude repair. It was a pain setting it up in the positions and finding a few odd shaped pieces of iron to use for "dies" though.

I have about 30 plus DAYS of "seat of the pants" auto body experience!--LOL!!

DAC

bigblockv6
August 25th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Many years ago I used just a typical propane torch to straighten out a dent on my 68's rear Barden Bumper and it came out great, a little heat won't hurt so I'm not saying get it glowing cherry red.

aphaynes
August 25th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks DAC and BBV6. So a little heat but not to glowing, 3lb hammer, and possible hammer and dolly to finish....or possibly press.

What is a good way to brace the back side when using the 3lb hammer so that the bump does not become a dent?

What type/style hammer and dolly should I get if I need it?

Is a Benzomatic torch enough heat or is something bigger/hotter needed?

aphaynes
August 25th, 2014, 03:47 PM
BBV6 - I'm trying to stay focused on the bumper, but if you look at the pictures in the beginning of this thread, you will see that the driver's side has several bondo areas. The problem is the larger sections of bondo are cracking and some is popping off. I have two large circles that have popped off now; one on the driver door and one on the rear fender. The metal underneath looks good, just creased on the door and dented on the fender. The spots that popped off were about 1/8 inch thick in bondo. So my question is what is the best way to remove all of the old bondo? Sanding or some other method? I would like to see what all has been covered. :)

WDShaffer
August 25th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I will be chroming my bumpers. I took the front to a chrome shop for straightening, time & $ well spent. I will take it back later for actual chrome application. But it is straight and ready for me when the time comes.

If you haven't done so, use a sand blaster to clean or the pitted areas. Since you are painting, use a coarse (36-grit) sander to evenly scuff out the pits-don't gouge with the edge. Then use body filler to restore the shape. Alternatively, you could build the area up with a TIG welder, metal finish, and powder coat. Either way, that will assure a long-lasting repair.

aphaynes
August 25th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I will be chroming my bumpers. I took the front to a chrome shop for straightening, time & $ well spent. I will take it back later for actual chrome application. But it is straight and ready for me when the time comes.

If you haven't done so, use a sand blaster to clean or the pitted areas. Since you are painting, use a coarse (36-grit) sander to evenly scuff out the pits-don't gouge with the edge. Then use body filler to restore the shape. Alternatively, you could build the area up with a TIG welder, metal finish, and powder coat. Either way, that will assure a long-lasting repair.

Due to tight budget, if you don't mind me asking, what did the straightening cost you?

GMCNUT
August 25th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Due to tight budget, if you don't mind me asking, what did the straightening cost you?

So, at $140.00 each, why wouldn't either of you simply buy new front bumpers? Even if you wanted White, you could paint a reproduction bumper and be miles ahead on the money....

Its true that the originals are heavier, but they had to be because people rammed them into other cars, stumps, etc - not the way we baby our rides today driving on the weekend or even driving daily - we are MUCH more careful....so I cannot see a value in paying 400 to 700 for replating an original unless you are going 100 point full show

aphaynes
August 25th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Oh no! I would not be able to pay that kind of money for replating. I was just curious what they would charge to take out these bumps I did not notice originally...mainly due to lack of having a torch or special hammers and dollies. If it ain't cheap then it won't happen. :lol: I'll do the best I can with the advice given. :D After all, this is a daily driver, not a show truck.

WDShaffer
August 26th, 2014, 01:42 PM

That was some time ago, and in California... chrome shops are under strict regulation, and generally expensive. I think I spend $50 and waited a week..A good chrome shop will know where to find the correct dies to basically re-drop forge the piece back to OEM spec. I used the same guy the older body shops call on for bumpers. If you decide to go that route, be careful before dropping off that great original steel. I still have to metal finish gouges and scrapes, but that is easy compared to getting it truly straight.

Andice
August 27th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Repro bumpers are crap. Use an original and be glad you did. The repro bumpers bend as you bolt them to the frame horns and, if plated, the chrome doesn't last. My truck has as few reproduction parts as possible and those that remain are being replaced piece by piece. The repro door checks lasted no time at all and nearly allowed for a "smiley" dent on the drivers door as they literally fell apart. There is not too much damage that you can do to an original front bumper that you can't undo - and with an original front bumper you will not need the two outer brackets. The bumper is so hefty you can simply use a dummy bolt to fill the two outboard holes. Try a couple different ways to remove dents, etc. and by the end you will be an expert. Good luck.

aphaynes
September 2nd, 2014, 06:23 PM
Rusty makes it to the drive-in after scrambling to get the Pertronix setup in in time!

Old truck at an old drive-in. Fitting, yes?

:tiphat: Thanks Barry, for your help which got me done in time for our daughters first drive-in experience. :) I'll have to say it was quite comfy with the three of us lounging in the back of the truck.

FetchMeAPepsi
September 7th, 2014, 02:39 PM
You guys have been bizzaahhhyyyyy!

Tailgate: Looks awesome! Bet you guys have some memories there now!
Gauge cluster: Are you sure you didn't have that done in a shop? :lol: I bet you grin every time you look at it now. nice work!

Bumper: A Bernzo will be fine. It's just a propane torch. In fact any time someone calls for heat you can usually use that. What you dont want to do is use an oxy/acetelene torch. You'll cut it in two!

:goodluck:

aphaynes
September 8th, 2014, 01:26 AM
You guys have been bizzaahhhyyyyy!

Tailgate: Looks awesome! Bet you guys have some memories there now!
Gauge cluster: Are you sure you didn't have that done in a shop? :lol: I bet you grin every time you look at it now. nice work!

Bumper: A Bernzo will be fine. It's just a propane torch. In fact any time someone calls for heat you can usually use that. What you dont want to do is use an oxy/acetelene torch. You'll cut it in two!

:goodluck:

Welcome back Fetch!
Yes we do...on the memories. My wife tells the story more than I do! :D. The best was last Monday though. She was so determined that we were going to the drive-in with Rusty and not the car that she was under the hood and dash helping me run the wire for the Pertronix that Barry gave guidance on. :lol:

GMCDAC
September 8th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Love your drive-in pic! Thanks for posting it.

DAC

aphaynes
September 11th, 2014, 02:23 AM

Thanks for chiming in BBV6, I wasn't sure if I should recommend heat as I didn't know if the bumper would lose strength. We had a "bumper and paint" shop here locally at one time and they would send bumpers to Denver to get "pressed" straight for repairs, so when I needed to do that once the press at work did to a reasonable job for a crude repair. It was a pain setting it up in the positions and finding a few odd shaped pieces of iron to use for "dies" though.

I have about 30 plus DAYS of "seat of the pants" auto body experience!--LOL!!

DAC

Thanks again guys for the suggestions. :signthankspin:
I did use a little heat and the 3lb hammer. To try to keep the bumps from becoming dents, I took a piece of flat steel (maybe 1/8" thick and 3 inches wide) I had that fit behind the bumper nicely length and width wise. Clamped it in for a makeshift brace and went after one bump with the heat and carefully aimed blows with the hammer. :lolsmack: It worked surprisingly well. Rinsed and repeated for the second bump on the other half of the bumper. :ahhhh: It's not perfect, but it is a whhhooolllleeee lot better. :thumbsup:

In the center section, where the bumper is narrower, the bottom edge was flared out pretty bad. Guess the truck it was on tried to pull something improperly that it should not have. :banghead: So, I clamped some square steel tubing to the bottom edge to show me how far back the flare needed to go; basically a straightedge. I added some additional bracing in the narrow section so I would not collapse the bottom edge to far. I started with heat and the three pound hammer, but it really did not want to budge. :poke: So, I took a risk and grabbed the sledge. A few careful blows later, it is a nice and flat bottom edge now.

I will be painting it white, so as I address the remaining pitting that appears to be fairly minor, hopefully I can try my luck at hiding the rest of the minor imperfections. :runforthehills:

aphaynes
October 7th, 2014, 02:48 AM
So since my last post, I knew I was not going to have much time for a while to devote to Rusty. Though I was continuing to work on the bumper as time permitted, I knew I had rust covered bumper brackets to contend with at a future date. Since I knew I had time before getting to them, I decided to try out a little science experiment I had heard about...treating rust with molasses. :goodluck:

The theory is that soaking the rusted parts in a concoction of molasses and water (9 parts water to 1 part molasses) for two weeks would take care of the rust.

So starting with these parts...

(the cover plates were very rusted on the back side)
...I scrounged around to find a container they would fit in. I then poured in 1 gallon of water at a time into the container with the parts in it to see how much water I needed to cover the brackets. Once I knew how much water I had, I managed to do some math to figure out how much molasses I would need. In it went and I let it sit. After a few days, it was getting a little bubbly...

...A few more days and I had to move it out of the garage. The smell was getting a little funky. :ahhhh:

So as it continued to sit, a guy at work asked why I did not use vinegar. Frankly I did not know you could. Once he said it was faster, I did a little research into molasses versus vinegar for rust. What I learned was, yes the vinegar is faster. However, vinegar will eat rust and good metal whereas the molasses only goes after the rusted metal. Good to know! :)

So two weeks later and the concoction was looking oh so yummy...

I stated pulling out parts and they did not look to impressive at first...

However, after cleaning them up with a little dawn and scotchbrite pad, I was impressed. Just rinsing them with water and 90% of the rust just sloughed off. In this image you can see flash rust did raise it's ugly head to a minor extent...

But a few short minutes with a wire wheel and all parts looked quite impressive to me...

The rusted bolts came out good to. Obviously, if you are in a hurry, this is not the method to use. However, if you have other things to work on, toss your rusted stuff in a batch of molasses and let it sit. It's slow as molasses, :D but you don't lose any good metal during the process.

Bumper is almost ready as well...

Andice
October 8th, 2014, 04:07 AM
Looking good! I used Simple Green to remove a bad paint job on a plastic model kit. It worked great. You never know unless you try.

aphaynes
October 8th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Looking good! I used Simple Green to remove a bad paint job on a plastic model kit. It worked great. You never know unless you try.

As long as what you try does not destroy what your working on :lol:

aphaynes
October 9th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Well, I am about ready to remove this funky bumper.

However, I have some questions about mounting the standard bumper. First, I assumed, for no apparent reason, that due to the shape of the brackets that the frame would fit between the two bracket pieces on each side. However, in this image from the 1960-1966 Chevy/GMC Truck Assembly manual, it appears that both bracket pieces sit on the outside of the frame rail. Is this correct?

Also, since my funky bumper was welded to the frame, I have to figure out how to get it off.

It is not apparent in these two pics, but they welded a cross piece between the frame rails as well which have more metal brackets welded between it and the bumper. I am hoping it is far enough back to be out of the way with the funky bumper off. Although in the second pick I am thinking the weld and splatter are interfering with what I assume to be one of the bolt holes.

Once I do get the bumper off, I am really not sure what holes to use to mount the brackets to. Does anyone have pics that show their bumper brackets mounted to the frame? ...Thanks.

aphaynes
October 21st, 2014, 02:47 PM
Before...

After...

GMCNUT
October 21st, 2014, 03:08 PM
the outside the framerail illustration you see in the assembly manual is for 60-62 X framed trucks which used flatbar type bumper brackets. In 1963 they went to the C channel type frame, and changed to stamped steel brackets which went on the inside of the C channel frame.

aphaynes
October 21st, 2014, 05:00 PM
the outside the framerail illustration you see in the assembly manual is for 60-62 X framed trucks which used flatbar type bumper brackets. In 1963 they went to the C channel type frame, and changed to stamped steel brackets which went on the inside of the C channel frame.

Yes, I realized it was not correct when I stumbled on a better drawing in the same manual. I should have posted the correct picture. I will try to remember to do so when I get home. It is amazing how hard it is to find what you are looking for in that manual...especially since it really is not a GMC manual. It all mounted nicely. Thanks again for hooking me up with the bumper! :thumbsup:

aphaynes
December 8th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I decided to go with a wheel change. However, I kept it in the family :teehee:...2009 GMC Wheels.

aphaynes
February 26th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Rusty's first real snow day!

OLDTRUCKHAULER
February 27th, 2015, 02:04 AM
Hey, AP, How about keeping that snow down your way. These people on the beach can't drive in it.
Read your build journal and had to giggle. I ran into most all these problems over the years building my trucks of all makers. Just brought in a 65 GMC 1-1/2 ton that will have the same issues you did. And my 65 chebby stepside, a mirror image of your issues.
Again, thanks for the giggles.

Mike OTH

aphaynes
February 28th, 2015, 12:23 AM
Hey, AP, How about keeping that snow down your way. These people on the beach can't drive in it.
Read your build journal and had to giggle. I ran into most all these problems over the years building my trucks of all makers. Just brought in a 65 GMC 1-1/2 ton that will have the same issues you did. And my 65 chebby stepside, a mirror image of your issues.
Again, thanks for the giggles.

Mike OTH

:lol: My wife and daughter would have loved to have kept the snow here!

Glad you enjoyed the read. :thumbsup: I'm just a rookie learning all I can from those like you who have already been through it. This forum has been a tremendous aid in helping me keep Rusty road worthy. It may not look great, but I am having a lot of fun with it as a daily driver truck. Will your 65's have a build thread here? Hope to learn something from ya if they do! :D

OLDTRUCKHAULER
March 8th, 2015, 04:02 AM
Well, soon as I find a device I can work without a wrench, I'll load up some pictures of the 1502, the stepside needs to go to a different forum.
Don't know how long the GMC has sat, but I changed the points and plugs and battery, dribbled some gas down the carb, and flipped the switch. It runs pretty smooth after changing the fuel pump.
Thought I'd bring it down to ?Barnesville? If a site/date is decided on for a Southeast mini-meet, let ya'll take a look, maybe figure a few things out.

Mike OTH

GMCDAC
March 9th, 2015, 03:07 AM
Well, soon as I find a device I can work without a wrench, I'll load up some pictures of the 1502, the stepside needs to go to a different forum.
Don't know how long the GMC has sat, but I changed the points and plugs and battery, dribbled some gas down the carb, and flipped the switch. It runs pretty smooth after changing the fuel pump.
Thought I'd bring it down to ?Barnesville? If a site/date is decided on for a Southeast mini-meet, let ya'll take a look, maybe figure a few things out.

Mike OTH

Hey Mike, I have been a follower of Aphaynes too and like his affordable fixes.
Hoping to see a thread about yours soon. If your stepside is the "other GM brand" or anything else for that matter, there is a section here for that.

DAC

TJ's GMC
March 15th, 2015, 03:54 PM
That's a sweet looking 64! Nice work!

OLDTRUCKHAULER
March 15th, 2015, 10:35 PM
GMCDAC,

Yeah, Man, one of these nights I'm sitting up late, reading threads,
I'll start thinking and writing here and other builds about what I have
and have done on the trucks to this point. Should be interesting reading.
I'll just have to post pictures at a later date.

Mike OTH

65 1502 ramptruck
88 INT. Rollback

aphaynes
June 18th, 2015, 04:10 AM
Well,figured I should update. Though I have not really done a lot to 'Ol Rusty in a while; frankly because that 305E is just running great. :amen:
Add power steering and overdrive and it would be perfect. :thumbsup:

I did have some brake work to do. Finally got the shoes taken care of but the one new rubber brake line was leaking at the wheel cylinder...I forgot to put the copper crush washer on. :ahhhh: After taking care of that, I bleed the lines again only to discover the rubber portion of the line on the other wheel had a pin hole leak that was squirting fluid quite well.:pullinghairout:

Oh well, I got all that buttoned up and put Rusty to work. This half ton 1000 series got the benefit of hauling five 1 ton loads of rock. Even got to put the girls to work...

After 4 loads, small pebbles getting lodged in my joist hanger tailgate hinges finally busted them up. So, took them off, grabbed some 2 inch wide flat aluminum, heated and bent it into a U shape and ran bolts all the way through the aluminum and the tailgate.

So far it feels much smoother and stronger. :thumbsup:

Poor Rusty looked like it had been lowered with this load of rock...and you cant even see the rock. :ahhhh:

Doc, the dog, decided his rest took precedence over us spreading the rock.

TJ's GMC
June 18th, 2015, 04:21 AM
Good looking rig. :thumbsup: Diggin the tail gate.

aphaynes
March 16th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Hey all, not much going on with my GMC. It still looks the same and is running like a champ. The only one of my projects listed below that stays on the road. :thumbsup: I have not been on here in quite a while. Last fall I was focusing on the other two projects which are not GMC's so...

We did move to a new to us house back in December. Now that I am out of the HOA life, I can work more freely on these projects. The move was only 6 miles down the road, so Rusty made a lot of hauling trips back and forth between the two. The only problem Rusty had was acquiring a nail in the rear tire on one of those trips. :banghead: It was an easy fix though.

Because of the hours I work, I get every other Friday off. On those days, I am required ;) to load me and my baby girl up in Rusty to go to breakfast somewhere and take her to school and pick her up. It is a must because as she says, all the kids think Rusty is the coolest truck ever! :upyes: :lol: Can't let that title slip away!

So all that is to say that even though the build is not progressing, we as a family are just enjoying good old reliable Rusty. Now it's warming up, so I know we will be piling up cushions in the back and hitting the drive-in on family nights.

FetchMeAPepsi
March 16th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Wow, I missed the gravel story! Great times with you and the kiddo. Thanks for the update. Those breakfasts are going to be memories she'll treasure forever. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
March 16th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Hey all, not much going on with my GMC. It still looks the same and is running like a champ. The only one of my projects listed below that stays on the road. :thumbsup: I have not been on here in quite a while. Last fall I was focusing on the other two projects which are not GMC's so...

We did move to a new to us house back in December. Now that I am out of the HOA life, I can work more freely on these projects. The move was only 6 miles down the road, so Rusty made a lot of hauling trips back and forth between the two. The only problem Rusty had was acquiring a nail in the rear tire on one of those trips. :banghead: It was an easy fix though.

Because of the hours I work, I get every other Friday off. On those days, I am required ;) to load me and my baby girl up in Rusty to go to breakfast somewhere and take her to school and pick her up. It is a must because as she says, all the kids think Rusty is the coolest truck ever! :upyes: :lol: Can't let that title slip away!

So all that is to say that even though the build is not progressing, we as a family are just enjoying good old reliable Rusty. Now it's warming up, so I know we will be piling up cushions in the back and hitting the drive-in on family nights.

Gotta love enjoying an old truck. :thumbsup:

azlamm65GMC
May 18th, 2016, 05:36 AM
Nice

aphaynes
November 7th, 2016, 01:05 AM
I still have not been forced to do anything to old Rusty. That 305 is running like a champ! Had a nice family photo session which Rusty got to be a part of. :D The friend taking our severely long over do family photo loved the truck and wanted it in the shots. Who was I to argue with that.:lolsmack2:

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> MLw13oo160agjsk24jjgdiQ0R_KShugtnkiGFhmloqbSJ1ue1y Rw-dFSIQZ-Q41GCioFsmKFlS7XiLx-B4eSIpMtdXdHocUMxi4zDTely-9k5RhF_G25g1x3bKECoulmg9JgUNzqAoS8D5tBifdhCC6hM0ie ejeLMB7W6l67EXM9tKJRy8xUCq1PDsoYg6H4WKGLF6YCLyXzj1 QtHprU15rh4YTLku5-0hcqATuikyFnM91bTj9tQkFCJNzW5HghCqduOFd6pxY6QvNgpE JCQDqUSDA7g2eHUZ5_PMF36eoGhrtECWEY2Y1ddc5SqXX01I-3v3SZwkHqeyOKwyTXs3jUXOrY9FZl-8s66s0JHlJLKMNXRJWMOV6_gznjMHdR6PoKtHf5t9CpVqX6aHR LOjihmUVyoGSNHFovE5DPlpeAbOQhNuBwBl8Y2Rv-YUeK33fslsOwOkvXHmq773gFoUae1uyuv3UlNm3TLEhACui831 YRXTHEW3ZVB1bUzGBdV9sIW5zWnf5MIJDdfviMy8VDzYRIRoBU fFVd3FBkRSLSrqBEWL33tHO0BvbbIn3A=w1272-h932-no

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> cBnpy0-5uXmvYPsMJ28guFvzF79gSVzGGGR6Bmu4hCC7fyOhOVKXdqjKa 34n7MVh4Vntat3eMqWcB6jxLJXm2-xeXHbKDL0-TIv7vIA-JZwTwDmmcbnIjEXmKS68n-Ud8RUMnIiYHAXq15p3HXZkFDJtbFnUXvDAXHoOExkn3RjYuN5S eu0ihuym98lhJmCtkffR7dO2gq3X3U-MPpE9jfFdX_YLgbk5q5CA6KRAeMdg5hlJ2vspIphhenhWIgwHb ISuyAKTKmKqxelkqoixF-9rwSgc9kc_xcnFyq7Uf15gcGPeTbh0AsVL41Kr4iRRMTaWDW5p-_T6x_nO9F6rpu4LZwoK-qpAEbv7OqIe8xwWvtFz2DwBqid9gn2PKUWWMVL4cEWi3S2zPPt iXInuJ_CW_MHFpC2KSgG36XvA6l7muZ2yBa42fmQdBKpYIfICh p6S1aqLFE_A7xU1hx_6eOeltpV2ZYQ1nJUsrNNC32-pk6GgWPwigSDIo4g=w960-h637-no

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> QyVaF7aDCjFpNwUMsmJqjFUfd_lILf2qcYcp5rExttdUcT0jUP 2F62Qn2ddzJj0GiMssBZ7JQ-B8hA7oisCzf5UNFhdPJSChmwZcb1viIexLck2hxhT6ZihfXlJN kU9jRKzAihM8VqKFrIcRbIOAjgVrap3V_8oDxUZlAeuVtySLCh MJbbfvmfZ9HAkcl3DoDB53hVHgyfSPQJjFxEjjzk4FeOmfU3u_ Q9Rrj_rqUue-j7uZ5IS5lGOr-xLfQk1GCFIiNbQHbpoPQSK4a9r0oB1dcrrS-nOmYT4V6GW4DM5ZPruOJuBOAUB_BPBrByn0ozNhTfcnuAScfr3 Gaon15nly3KeRXAmGXGBFLDTN1xGyXXR_eG-SbbC0qusuujyivoI5cAcxZu_lIGPoDit2HUgD2tYlg1y9ic9HH AWok4CZJKgbvB_c6na2UIy3p72xsIE-Z8wKGLl4wR9GZ-RidD6d7z_oLdItRqIwppGxrQYnTDdWTMpgbsg_6JcWGI43NwdB ZwgaRtJaNc9Vy-HeolzeT3Gl8sPkZWQ=w1280-h720-no

FetchMeAPepsi
November 7th, 2016, 01:29 AM
I still have not been forced to do anything to old Rusty. That 305 is running like a champ! Had a nice family photo session which Rusty got to be a part of. :D The friend taking our severely long over do family photo loved the truck and wanted it in the shots. Who was I to argue with that.:lolsmack2:

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> MLw13oo160agjsk24jjgdiQ0R_KShugtnkiGFhmloqbSJ1ue1y Rw-dFSIQZ-Q41GCioFsmKFlS7XiLx-B4eSIpMtdXdHocUMxi4zDTely-9k5RhF_G25g1x3bKECoulmg9JgUNzqAoS8D5tBifdhCC6hM0ie ejeLMB7W6l67EXM9tKJRy8xUCq1PDsoYg6H4WKGLF6YCLyXzj1 QtHprU15rh4YTLku5-0hcqATuikyFnM91bTj9tQkFCJNzW5HghCqduOFd6pxY6QvNgpE JCQDqUSDA7g2eHUZ5_PMF36eoGhrtECWEY2Y1ddc5SqXX01I-3v3SZwkHqeyOKwyTXs3jUXOrY9FZl-8s66s0JHlJLKMNXRJWMOV6_gznjMHdR6PoKtHf5t9CpVqX6aHR LOjihmUVyoGSNHFovE5DPlpeAbOQhNuBwBl8Y2Rv-YUeK33fslsOwOkvXHmq773gFoUae1uyuv3UlNm3TLEhACui831 YRXTHEW3ZVB1bUzGBdV9sIW5zWnf5MIJDdfviMy8VDzYRIRoBU fFVd3FBkRSLSrqBEWL33tHO0BvbbIn3A=w1272-h932-no

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> cBnpy0-5uXmvYPsMJ28guFvzF79gSVzGGGR6Bmu4hCC7fyOhOVKXdqjKa 34n7MVh4Vntat3eMqWcB6jxLJXm2-xeXHbKDL0-TIv7vIA-JZwTwDmmcbnIjEXmKS68n-Ud8RUMnIiYHAXq15p3HXZkFDJtbFnUXvDAXHoOExkn3RjYuN5S eu0ihuym98lhJmCtkffR7dO2gq3X3U-MPpE9jfFdX_YLgbk5q5CA6KRAeMdg5hlJ2vspIphhenhWIgwHb ISuyAKTKmKqxelkqoixF-9rwSgc9kc_xcnFyq7Uf15gcGPeTbh0AsVL41Kr4iRRMTaWDW5p-_T6x_nO9F6rpu4LZwoK-qpAEbv7OqIe8xwWvtFz2DwBqid9gn2PKUWWMVL4cEWi3S2zPPt iXInuJ_CW_MHFpC2KSgG36XvA6l7muZ2yBa42fmQdBKpYIfICh p6S1aqLFE_A7xU1hx_6eOeltpV2ZYQ1nJUsrNNC32-pk6GgWPwigSDIo4g=w960-h637-no

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> QyVaF7aDCjFpNwUMsmJqjFUfd_lILf2qcYcp5rExttdUcT0jUP 2F62Qn2ddzJj0GiMssBZ7JQ-B8hA7oisCzf5UNFhdPJSChmwZcb1viIexLck2hxhT6ZihfXlJN kU9jRKzAihM8VqKFrIcRbIOAjgVrap3V_8oDxUZlAeuVtySLCh MJbbfvmfZ9HAkcl3DoDB53hVHgyfSPQJjFxEjjzk4FeOmfU3u_ Q9Rrj_rqUue-j7uZ5IS5lGOr-xLfQk1GCFIiNbQHbpoPQSK4a9r0oB1dcrrS-nOmYT4V6GW4DM5ZPruOJuBOAUB_BPBrByn0ozNhTfcnuAScfr3 Gaon15nly3KeRXAmGXGBFLDTN1xGyXXR_eG-SbbC0qusuujyivoI5cAcxZu_lIGPoDit2HUgD2tYlg1y9ic9HH AWok4CZJKgbvB_c6na2UIy3p72xsIE-Z8wKGLl4wR9GZ-RidD6d7z_oLdItRqIwppGxrQYnTDdWTMpgbsg_6JcWGI43NwdB ZwgaRtJaNc9Vy-HeolzeT3Gl8sPkZWQ=w1280-h720-no

Aww man! I can't see the pics. They're just blank. I'm sure they turned out great though. You and Rusty & the pit crew keep on rockin!

:thumbsup:

aphaynes
November 7th, 2016, 03:23 AM
Let's try with attachments then...my pit crew is growing up way to fast. I am sure yours is to Fetch.

FetchMeAPepsi
November 7th, 2016, 03:00 PM
That worked! Great looking family you have there and wow, she sure is getting big! It's so sad, isn't it? My Powder Puff mechanic is turning 12 in a month. We should get together and formulate a potion that keeps them about 9 forever :oldman:

I really like that the photographer snapped one with all of you on the truck. Rusty's soaking up the attention with style!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

aphaynes
November 7th, 2016, 06:27 PM
That worked! Great looking family you have there and wow, she sure is getting big! It's so sad, isn't it? My Powder Puff mechanic is turning 12 in a month. We should get together and formulate a potion that keeps them about 9 forever :oldman:

I really like that the photographer snapped one with all of you on the truck. Rusty's soaking up the attention with style!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tell me about it. Mine is just ahead of yours, turning 13 this month. :runforthehills:

bobatwarsaw
December 5th, 2017, 01:38 AM
so if my vin number has a F init its called a fleetside yes
or no ??????

Ed Snyder
December 5th, 2017, 01:50 AM
so if my vin number has a F init its called a fleetside yes
or no ??????

No -- it does not mean fleetside which is actually a Chevy term. GMC's term is "wideside". What the F means depends on if it's the 6th or 7th digit in the VIN. See <br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

bobatwarsaw
December 5th, 2017, 01:58 AM
thanks got it

aphaynes
January 8th, 2018, 03:57 PM
So I have not done any real rework to good ole Rusty in a while. Just been driving it for fun and for hauling stuff as needed. Now I am doing maintenance. I decided to convert the canister oil filter to a spin on. Barry hooked me up with what I needed to make that happen. While I had the truck in the air, I noticed several leaks; brake fluid coming out of the front right brake drum (wheel cylinder), fuel dripping from somewhere around the fuel pump (great...luckily never caught on fire), and oil coming out of the air holes in the bottom of the PCV canister on the rear of the engine.

This thing...

So all that to ask, isn't that where air should be pulled into the engine, not oil coming out?

James
January 9th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Yes it should unless you have a lot of blow-by pass the piston rings. You might want to check the PCV valves to make sure it is working correctly. They are located on the top of both heads under the valve covers.

aphaynes
January 9th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Yes it should unless you have a lot of blow-by pass the piston rings. You might want to check the PCV valves to make sure it is working correctly. They are located on the top of both heads under the valve covers.

Thanks. I replaced those three or four years ago, but worth a look.

jbgroby
January 10th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Looks Sweet, PLEASE keep the V-6. You have an intact radio delete plate (always nice).

aphaynes
January 10th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Looks Sweet, PLEASE keep the V-6. You have an intact radio delete plate (always nice).

Don't worry, I love the V6. I have zero trouble from it in the four years I have owned it; other than some pesky leaks when I bought it and now to solve this unusual "leak".

aphaynes
January 22nd, 2018, 06:25 PM
Oh, while taking Rusty to several shows this past 2017, just for fun, I did manage to win one little trophy... :teehee:

aphaynes
January 22nd, 2018, 10:17 PM
...and 2nd in the production truck class at another show. :ahhhh:

James
January 23rd, 2018, 12:00 AM
Missing the trophy pictures.

aphaynes
January 23rd, 2018, 02:51 AM
That's weird...they show up on my pc and my phone. I'll try again later.

aphaynes
January 23rd, 2018, 04:48 PM
Missing the trophy pictures.

I changed the URL's to attachments above. Hopefully that worked.

aphaynes
January 23rd, 2018, 05:05 PM
After years of wanting a shop to work in I finally had one built this past fall.:bigdance: Then I stumbled on a heck of a deal on a used commercial lift. :ahhhh: I thought this would be a good thing, but after putting Rusty in the air for a simple oil change, I saw multiple issues I was not aware of so that quick oil changed turned into a lot of overdue maintenance work. It's funny how much you don't see when laying on the ground working under the truck versus up in the air. :teehee:

FetchMeAPepsi
January 23rd, 2018, 05:44 PM
Hey aphaynes! Man that is a sweet shop addition! Your post updates called me back. I haven't been on the 6066 in forever, then I saw an email that ol' Rusty was getting some awards.

AWESOME!!! :coolphotos:

You're livin' the life amigo. Keep the updates coming! What all did you find on that new lift? You know, that new lift that I'm not at all jealous about...at all....:teehee:

aphaynes
January 23rd, 2018, 06:35 PM
Hey aphaynes! Man that is a sweet shop addition! Your post updates called me back. I haven't been on the 6066 in forever, then I saw an email that ol' Rusty was getting some awards.

AWESOME!!! :coolphotos:

You're livin' the life amigo. Keep the updates coming! What all did you find on that new lift? You know, that new lift that I'm not at all jealous about...at all....:teehee:

Ha!...Yeah, never thought I would have the shop and especially the lift...at least not for many more years to come. :lol: It came with a price though. Had to make it big enough for my wife to have her own little area. In this attachment, my helper, that is growing up to fast, was staying off camera after helping me nail up some interior osb to section off the wife's area. Got her all trained up on the HF nail gun though. :)

Ok, so the simple oil change. Once it was in the air, I discovered brake fluid leaking from one of the front drums (wheel cylinder), rear brake shoes were worn out, and fuel leak...I thought..turned out to be coolant. Then I was having trouble with that canister oil filter housing, so Barry hooked me up with a spin on oil filter unit.

OdieTN
February 20th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Hey Aphaynes - awesome thread. I binge read 4 yrs worth of posts the other night on my phone until my eyes hurt!. I learned a lot from your thread. Awesome truck and congrats on the awards!

ToolinAndSpoolin
April 24th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Thumbnails look good. I'm New to the forum so with this post I will be able to view all the photos!

aphaynes
August 2nd, 2018, 01:08 PM
Hey Aphaynes - awesome thread. I binge read 4 yrs worth of posts the other night on my phone until my eyes hurt!. I learned a lot from your thread. Awesome truck and congrats on the awards!

:ahhhh: Glad it helped. Everything I've learned is from other's threads on here. Great place for GMC owners. :rowdybeer:

aphaynes
August 2nd, 2018, 01:12 PM
Well, I had planned on painting my GMC V6 badges for the last few years, but never have. However, my friends at Stateline Powder Coating just hooked me up with this tri-color powder coating finishing. Should be very durable. I think they look great!

aphaynes
August 2nd, 2018, 01:17 PM
It's not a GMC, but since my daughter isn't helping with my GMC, I at least have her in the shop learning how to work on her own little project. :teehee:

aphaynes
August 22nd, 2018, 12:34 AM
Well the Y pipe, for lack of knowing a better term, on my single exhaust rusted through on good old Rusty. Good a time as any to convert to dual exhaust I guess. :rowdybeer:

Hopefully video posts correctly...
TsgIjnbMhR8

ASGMC
September 15th, 2022, 07:56 PM
Great information. Thanks

aphaynes
November 25th, 2022, 10:03 PM
Well, haven't been on here in a bit. I haven't really done much since the exhaust except replace the front and rear glass seals. Been spending most of my car working time, when I actually have some, on my Torino. Can't post that here. :) As for Rusty, he's been dependable. Even if he sits for a while, I get in, fire him up, and hit the road. Looking to go from manual steering to power steering now. Shoulders have been gradually getting worse the last few years so I tend to hurt after driving him a day or two. So, it's time. Now gotta learn what I can put on this truck to achieve that.

So, pics since my last post...he still looks the same.

I actually got paid to park Rusty outside of TopGolf for a tailgating display for some event for their members.

Made a pitstop at a gas station museum here in town.

Getting some firewood cut and hauled last winter.

The 2x4 GMC had to rescue the 4x4 Ford :ahhhh:

and during the pandamic, we made a homemade drive in, threw cushions in the bed for us to chill on, with snacks spread across the tailgate. :)

Good times!

Kndrman
April 4th, 2023, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the help

aphaynes
June 30th, 2023, 11:54 PM
All right, something is not registering in my slow brain on this. I have removed the single groove crankshaft pulley with the flange it is attached to. How do I separate the flange from the single groove pulley in order to attach my double groove pulley?

aphaynes
June 30th, 2023, 11:55 PM
Ugh, guess you can't share photo from Google photos?

James
July 1st, 2023, 12:47 AM
Ugh, guess you can't share photo from Google photos?

The pulley is just stuck/rusted on the flange. I see no damage to the front of the flange that could prevent the pulley removal. I'm surprised the flange came off of the crankshaft (cause it is pressed on) without the pulley falling off. Try wedging something between the pulley and the flange.

aphaynes
July 1st, 2023, 12:49 AM
The pulley is just stuck/rusted on the flange. I see no damage to the front of the flange that could prevent the pulley removal. I'm surprised the flange came off of the crankshaft (cause it is pressed on) without the pulley falling off. Try wedging something between the pulley and the flange.

I was gonna do that but wanted to be sure I wouldn't destroy something. I'm good at accidentally doing that. :teehee:

aphaynes
July 1st, 2023, 01:03 AM
I'm surprised the flange came off of the crankshaft (cause it is pressed on) without the pulley falling off. Try wedging something between the pulley and the flange.

Yeah, I pulled the 6 screws, expecting it to fall off. When a few taps didn't do it, I assumed it was attached the flange and pulled the whole assembly. :oops:

aphaynes
July 2nd, 2023, 11:38 PM
Looking for a power steering pump bracket if anyone has one like this one shared in an old post elsewhere by Funky61...

aphaynes
July 28th, 2023, 01:41 PM
Well, finally got the power steering done. I went with a different bracket I saw on another site. Had to customize it a little bit, but got it done none the less. The test drive was so nice with the new shocks and power steering :)

FetchMeAPepsi
July 28th, 2023, 02:34 PM
Well, finally got the power steering done. I went with a different bracket I saw on another site. Had to customize it a little bit, but got it done none the less. The test drive was so nice with the new shocks and power steering :)

Which bracket did you go with and was it all hammer-based customization or just fittings?

aphaynes
July 28th, 2023, 03:07 PM
I went with the one showed in these pics...not my pics.
I had to fab an extension similar to what is shown.
Since my fab skills don't exist :ahhhh:there was some additional shimming and bending that took place after I made it.

More details of this bracket use can be seen here: <br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>