PDA

View Full Version : How to find paint code?

Larry
April 9th, 2014, 04:14 AM
I'd love to know if my truck has the right paint on it. Where would I find the paint code?

fyrboy
April 9th, 2014, 12:15 PM
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=GM&model=GMC

GMCDAC
April 10th, 2014, 02:32 AM
Great link Fyrboy! I think you answered a question for me on my '55 GMC.

Thanks---DAC

Larry
April 10th, 2014, 03:59 AM
But where do I find out the paint code for my specific truck? Where is the tag located?

fyrboy
April 10th, 2014, 11:35 AM
But where do I find out the paint code for my specific truck? Where is the tag located?

Homepage - http://paintref.com/paintref/index.shtml

Larry
April 10th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Is the tag the one above the drivers door? I dont see anything in the glove box or on the actual door. I have the vin plate in the drivers door jamb up top but I dont see anything that matches codes on that site.

bdshumaker
April 11th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Short of finding a spot of original color, if I remember correctly, a build tag was attached to the back of the seat? GMC, unlike the sensible Ford boys who put all that good info on the metal tag in the glove box, didn't give much info on the VIN plate.

Brian

Larry
April 11th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Hmmm. We'll my door jambs are painted the color of the dash. Does that mean the truck is supposed to be the color of the door jamb?

bdshumaker
April 11th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Well, lets have some specifics. What year is your truck? From the factory the interior color, either silver or fawn extended onto the jambs and top of rockers. If you are having trouble figuring if the exterior is original or not start looking at areas not typically included in "quick repaints" such as the firewall, under hood, under weatherstripping etc. or simply sand some paint off of an unseen spot. For reference, see Arthur's gallery of 1961 fenderside all original.

Larry
April 11th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Truck is a 65 and the firewall is yellow as is the body. Just wasn't sure if that was original or now but now I have to assume it is. Thanks for the help all.