PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Seat Option for 65 GMC

OKGMC
April 16th, 2014, 03:54 AM
I have a 65 4x4 that sits pretty high so the original seat springs (the leaf ones from the back to the front) are broken on the driver's side of the seat. I was thinking of updating to a newer bench if I can't find the replacement springs to fix the seat. Any ideas on what other GM bench seats will fit in the truck? A local upholstery shop recommended trying to find an 88-98 seat. Of course, those seem to be in high demand in Oklahoma.

Texas63GMC
April 16th, 2014, 03:30 PM
visit the chevy talk forum, go to the 60-66 trucks...there is a pinned site by a Van Pershing and others that discuss seats...

kieth
April 17th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I have a 65 4x4 that sits pretty high so the original seat springs (the leaf ones from the back to the front) are broken on the driver's side of the seat. I was thinking of updating to a newer bench if I can't find the replacement springs to fix the seat. Any ideas on what other GM bench seats will fit in the truck? A local upholstery shop recommended trying to find an 88-98 seat. Of course, those seem to be in high demand in Oklahoma.

Strip your seat to bare metal, take the springs from the passenger side and move them to the drivers side , any springs you need call American trim and upholstery in Tulsa, Ok 918-834-6691, They had most of the replacement springs we needed.

Here are the links to my seat rebuild:

original seat back:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-KbDBhWz

rear view of seat back:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-bsmWpL7

Just keep clicking through the thumbnails , when you runout of pictures on the page, click the big right hand pointing arrow and you will be able to see the steps of rebuilding and recovering the seat.........Kieth :thumbsup:

We also built some additional springs out of dense foam cut in the shape of a wedge, covered that with black trunk material, stuffed it around the outside edge of the seat all along the front edge of the seat and on both outer sides. (basicly like adding additional springs, so the seat would not break down on the outer edges...again)

OKGMC
April 19th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I do like the way the original seat sits and only want to change it if there is no other way to go.

I have a 54 Pontiac Starchief with the original bench and believe it or not, I think bench is the way to go.