PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down the rust demons

aphaynes
May 4th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Can't afford a paint job right now, so if I attack any of the rust on my truck right now to stop it, what should I do then to keep it intact/sealed until sometime in the future when a paint job can be addressed?

sc1337
May 5th, 2014, 04:20 PM
go to homedepot and get the gallon sized jug of phosphoric acid used to etch concrete($15), but its the same thing as rust converter. Then get some clear coat whatever finish you like. Or you could use clear lacquer like I did its tougher ,but I think I read it makes painting in the future more difficult. when you apply the acid to the rust areas make sure its saturated and it should turn a darker color. then when dry clear coat. that should at least buy some time.

FetchMeAPepsi
May 6th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Just a heads up make sure you wire wheel it before putting converter on it. If the rust is thick it'll convert the top of the rust and keep on rusting under. Wire wheeling keeps it thin so there's not much thickness to the rust. :)

aphaynes
June 8th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I did a lot of wire wheeling, degreasing, and metal prep on my floors. Then gave POR15 a go. I think it turned out good ...for now. When its time to fix things up right and I have learned a lot more, I can go back and cut out the bad spots and propetly patch. For now, on the largest hole, I simply coated a piece of metal with the POR and between coats on the floor, screwed it down, and added another coat to everything. Right of wrong, I think I've stopped my floor pan rust for now. :)

aphaynes
June 8th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Speaking of future learning, is this welder suitable for body work? Welder at HF (http://m.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2314b_fd&utm_source=1030&cid=mEmail_s1030_c2314b_fd&utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided)

FetchMeAPepsi
June 8th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen! :D

The welder link is to the mobile site so it doesnt show up for me. What is the welder called?

aphaynes
June 8th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Got a few pics...just not posted ;)
It was their 90 amp flux wire welder. Chicago I think is the brand.

bigblockv6
June 8th, 2014, 11:16 PM
I bought this exact welder 8 months ago when my MIG welder burned up a transformer. Being it is a flux core type only, it is an ok welder for light use but throws out a lot of spatter, I wouldn't recommend it for any outer sheetmetal repair. Realistically it hard to beat a real MIG welder, spend an extra $100 for the real thing.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 8th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Yeah I agree with BBV6. I hate buying gas (leaving the house, dealing with idiots) or having something where I can't stock it up (convenience, dependability), but if you want a wire welder you won't be happy unless you get a gas one. I've also heard you need 160 amps (140 minimum) so you can use it on more than just the very thin steel, but BBV6 can probably speak to that more than me. The MIG I used was a 240 and it was just borrowed.

On a personal note That flux stuff is the devil. You have to knock it off ever time you run a bead before you make the next pass or tie in to the last run. It triples (or quadruples) your time and probably costs 10x the effort.

For me I use a stick welder for convenience. Same splatter problems, but I can weld from steel girders all the way down to coffee cans and I can stock up enough rods to build a bridge to your house from here :D

aphaynes
June 9th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the input Fetch and BBV6! I passed on that sale...besides, I am still budgeting for that radiator to get this truck back to driving again. :)

BarryGMC
June 10th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Buy a small Hobart or Lincoln or miller. I run an old millermatic 185. Can't imagine not having it. Owning old equipment necessitates owning a welder IMO. I have a couple of gas rigs and an ancient old fourney 200 amp stick welder.

aphaynes
June 10th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Buy a small Hobart or Lincoln or miller. I run an old millermatic 185. Can't imagine not having it. Owning old equipment necessitates owning a welder IMO. I have a couple of gas rigs and an ancient old fourney 200 amp stick welder.

I'll put those on my watch list. Next month we're making the 10 hour drive to see my folks. Dad was a good welder pre-cataracts. I was just not smart enough to take advantage of the opportunity to learn back in my youth. Hope he still has some old equipment though that is usable.

BarryGMC
June 10th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Maybee your dad knows some one with some stuff. There are some good old rigs floating around. Old tools are good stuff. My fourney is at least 50 years old and my miller is 20.

WDShaffer
June 10th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I have a very nice Licoln 220v gas shield MIG welder...$600 at the time. Has different size rollers to feed big or small wire--depending on frame work repairs or body work repairs. You won't build a battle ship with it, but perfect for auto/light truck hobby.

aphaynes
June 10th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Good tips. Now another dumb question. My garage only has 110 plugs. Is a 110V welder not suitable?

WDShaffer
June 11th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I used to have a huge extension cord from the dryer plug over to my welder--okay until the 'lil lady stayed home from work.

If your panel can suppot it, add a 220v cuircuit. I run my air compressor on 220, too. A 110v will perform sheet metal welding just fine, but is puny after about 14 gauge metal...most frame and suspension stuff if thicker than 10 gauge.

My plasma cutter, a small Hobart brand, is 110v and demands it's own 30 amp circuit due to the power needed to strike the ark, and it has been working fine on sheet metal to 3/16".

aphaynes
June 11th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I used to have a huge extension cord from the dryer plug over to my welder--okay until the 'lil lady stayed home from work.

If your panel can suppot it, add a 220v cuircuit. I run my air compressor on 220, too. A 110v will perform sheet metal welding just fine, but is puny after about 14 gauge metal...most frame and suspension stuff if thicker than 10 gauge.

My plasma cutter, a small Hobart brand, is 110v and demands it's own 30 amp circuit due to the power needed to strike the ark, and it has been working fine on sheet metal to 3/16".

LOL. Mine is already a stay at home mom! Thanks for the advice.