PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic balancer

Donny
May 9th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Does anybody know if a 351 4 groove cast pulley will fit on the 478 Magnum ?

bigblockv6
May 10th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Sure it will fit but it won't work with the 478 because the 351 is internal balanced while the 478 is externally balanced. Early 478's do have this same pulley arrangement with eccentric weight on it and it looks like I have one that's no use to me.

Donny
May 10th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Thanks bigblockv6
The guy that I have building the engine is going to Balance and blueprint so it will be internally balanced and then is going to zero out the flywheel and harmonic balancer
he does a lot of NASCAR r and d stuff you used to build my racecar motors
so what are you think ? don't know that much about it
Thanks Donny

bigblockv6
May 10th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Just be aware it may not be possible to fully internal balance the 478 crank. I went through with this situation on my 478. The balance shop put as much weight as possible in the crank and it still wasn't enough. they ended up welding weight to the flywheel and front stamped steel pulley(from the original 305E). I heard the only way to fully balance one of these 478 cranks is start with making a stroker out of it.

Donny
May 10th, 2014, 05:19 AM
That is probably something my engine builder would like to know before we start
My other 478 has the four grove pulley on it that looks identical to the picture of that pulley that I posted do you think they can balance that pulley for the 478
If you would like to give you that pulley let me know I will buy it from you
Thanks Donny ,
I tried to private message you but it said your messages were full can except anymore private messages

bigblockv6
May 10th, 2014, 05:23 AM
I deleted some messages so it should accept new ones now.