PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Head Freeze Plugs?

Larry
May 14th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Is there a freeze plug on the back of the cylinder heads by the firewall? Are there any in the block there too? I have a massive water leak coming from back of engine area (above oil filter adapter). If its a freeze plug in the head I assume the head comes off to remedy this?

sclor
May 14th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Larry:
Yes, there is a freeze plug in the back of the head. The left and right heads are interchangeable. If you look at the front of the opposite head, you will know what the back of the head looks like.

Hope this helps.
regards,
Steve

Larry
May 14th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks steve. So I just got it hot and used a mirror and my hand to feel around. Its not the freeze plug. There is this canister shaped device near the driver side head (located well above oil filter area) and is pouring out water. Literally just a steady stream of water. It looks like a breather of sorts? Any idea what this is and how I take it off to seal it?

Larry
May 14th, 2014, 08:12 PM
This is NOT my picture but it shows where my leak is coming from. What is this canister on the back of the engine and why would there by water coming from somewhere around it? I can't quite tell where is coming from:

aphaynes
May 14th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Crankcase Ventilation filter. Shouldn't have water coming out of their though.
To the pros on here, would their be freeze plugs somewhere the let water into the crankcase? That happened on my tractor one time and water ccame shooting out the oil level dipstick tube when I went to check the oil.

Larry
May 14th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I was wrong: I was able to snake my hand back there and it is 100% streaming out of the head freeze plug. I mean STREAMING. So now for replacement. I don't mind pulling apart the top end of the motor but if I could just snake out freeze plug that would be best...any chance of tapping it out (or into the head) and then putting a rubber plug in place?

BarryGMC
May 15th, 2014, 02:32 AM
Not much room but the hard part is getting the old plug out. I have done some that are harder. Patience and persistance . Tightening up the nut on the rubber plug is easy. Barry