PDA

View Full Version : dip stick tube

tdeming
May 19th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I re-assembled my engine (305A) and pounded the dip stick tube back in as far as it would go. I added 6 quarts of oil but the dip stick shows the level down to the add mark. I did let the oil drain down before checking. Can someone tell me a measurement for the dip stick tube? Either from the block or the exhaust manifold clamp to the top of the tube.
Thanks,
Terry

Jeannie
May 19th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Terry,

The dipstick tube on a GMC 305A measures 14 inches to the engine block with the 6 quart oil pan. To verify your oil pan size observe your oil drain plug. Your plug will be on the back of the pan angling downward with the 6 quart pan. Oil drain plugs on 8 quart pans exit the bottom center of the pan.

Have a great day!

:superhug:

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club

tdeming
May 19th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.
So mine is a 6 quart oil pan, but the dip stick tube is about 15.5" long. Should the top be near the clamp on the exhaust manifold?
Is there a trick to getting the tube farther into the block? It tends to bend when I pound on it.

Terry

bigblockv6
May 20th, 2014, 01:52 AM
I measured 15 inches from the bottom of the hole where the tube goes in the block to the top of the tube on a unmolested 351E that I have. I also measured 2 7/16 from the bottom of the hole to the convoluted spot on the tube. If I can get a chance of got two more engines I can get measurements off.