PDA

View Full Version : 64 GMC V6 dragged out of a field.

nathankershaw
May 24th, 2014, 06:34 PM
My friend called me the other day to tell me about this truck.
It had been behind a house since 1993.

When she got pulled out after some cleaning.
<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>)

On her way home.
<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>)

Wife & dog approve :)

I still need a passenger glass!

Started turning the motor over by hand after putting ATF & Seafoam down the cylinders and it got stuck on something. After taking a few things off I think carbon probably stuck the valves open.

nathankershaw
May 24th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I don't have any attachment to the V6 so if anyone needs any parts let me know.

I'll be swapping in a 350 V8 and probably a 700R4.

jbgroby
May 24th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Is the water inlet still available?

Jake Groby

nathankershaw
May 24th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Is the water inlet still available?

Jake Groby

Can you post up a pic of the part you mean?
I'm not to familiar with these engines.

nathankershaw
May 24th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Thank you for all the positive comments and the camper pic as well!

Cleaned up a couple of pistons to see if there was on overbore number stamped and I can't see anything.

So I assume it's a good candidate for a re-build.
I'm going to go the V8 route with a 350.
So this motor and tranny will be for sale.

I drained all the fluids. The engine oil was definitely thick!! but the tranny fluid was red and clear! That made me happy :)

I think I'll throw the motor and tranny on Craigslist for $400.
Does that sound like a decent price or am I way out?

Ed Snyder
May 24th, 2014, 11:33 PM
You might be a little optimistic on your price. I've paid $50 for a running 305 and $100 for running 351s before. You'll probably get more for the transmission than for the engine. Jeep folks like the SM420s.

Might as well keep the Chevy hood since you're going with a Chevy engine.

nathankershaw
May 25th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Ahh cool.
Thanks for the heads up on the prices :)

nathankershaw
May 26th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Found a passenger side glass at the pick a part today.

My truck is now water tight!

No more duct tape passenger window. I think the neighbors are happier :)

charlie8297
June 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
I am in the process of swapping out a 305E for a 350 as well. Make sure you find the right motor perches. The frame is pre-drilled for the correct ones. They are the same shape as perches you have on the 305E, but are longer and not as tall.

nathankershaw
June 3rd, 2014, 09:04 PM
I am in the process of swapping out a 305E for a 350 as well. Make sure you find the right motor perches. The frame is pre-drilled for the correct ones. They are the same shape as perches you have on the 305E, but are longer and not as tall.

Ahh excellent.
It'll be good to compare.

Where have you go to?
Build thread?

What tranny are you putting behind it?

charlie8297
June 3rd, 2014, 09:19 PM
I haven't started a build thread, the "honey do" list is getting in the way of getting the truck running! :cutwood:

I have a SM465 that I am going to be putting in it for now. I'll be using the truck as a work truck for now, so the low gears will be nice since it's a 2wd.

It to took a while to find the right perches unless I wanted to $150 plus for them. I got lucky and found a guy that had a set on Craigslist here is Sacramento. Paid $30 for the pair.

With the motor outta the way, I am also prepping to paint the engine bay.

nathankershaw
June 3rd, 2014, 09:45 PM
Looks good!

I can't wait to have the 302 in my garage right now replaced with a nice 350 :)

As far as I've figured out it's the 68-72 C10 350 towers that I need to find?

charlie8297
June 3rd, 2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the kudos!

I have a set of the 68-72 C10 towers, but they are pretty close to the same as the 305E towers. You need to find towers out of a 63-66 C10. If you look on your front cross member, there are two sets of holes. The front set is where the 305 towers were mounted and closer to the cab, you will find another set. The 63-66 towers are longer and shorter. It is my understanding that the 350 is a taller motor than the 305E so it needs to sit lower for hood clearance. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. The tower bolt holes on the frame share one hole and you can see the difference in length of the two towers in the bolt hole in the cross member.

nathankershaw
June 3rd, 2014, 10:15 PM
Ahh cool.

Good info.

The info I've read so far has been pretty confusing being a noob and not knowing to much terminology. I'm learning quick though :)

I just ordered a lock set for it to it'll at least be secure in a couple of days.

charlie8297
June 3rd, 2014, 10:38 PM
Same here. I've spent a lot of time looking at other trucks and reading forums.

The other towers that will work are from a mid 60's Chevy with a straight 6, not the 292 though. On truck I looked, the guy was swapping to an automatic tranny and instead of finding another driveline, moved the towers forward. you just have to watch your clearance between the fan and radiator.

If I have time tonight, I'll take a picture of the three sets of towers I have and post 'em.

charlie8297
June 4th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Here are the towers. The dirt ones are from the 305E when I pulled it, the ones next to it from a 68-72 C10, and the ones on the right are from a 64 C10. This what I felt like looking for them! :pullinghairout:

The last picture is the holes I was talking about.

Hope this helps.

nathankershaw
June 4th, 2014, 01:14 AM
Thank you for the tower info.
I may pop around the scrap yard in the next few days to have a look what's there.

I pulled the tranny today so any interested parties cross my palm with silver and take her away :)

As far as people have told me, it's a 2 speed Powerglide.

nathankershaw
June 10th, 2014, 03:06 AM
Had a little spare time today so ran up to the local yards.

I found a 60-66 C10 with offset towers so I assume that was a 292 so I got the drivers side tower.

I also found a 68-72 C10 with even mounted towers so I assumed that was a V8 truck.

Here they are:

BarryGMC
June 10th, 2014, 03:40 AM
You should of grabbed that 292 stand. Good trading stock there. Guys give me 40 for those. And 100 for the 4x4. Grab every pasenger 292 stand you can find.

nathankershaw
June 10th, 2014, 04:08 AM
You should of grabbed that 292 stand. Good trading stock there. Guys give me 40 for those. And 100 for the 4x4. Grab every pasenger 292 stand you can find.

Thanks for the info!

Do you sell in pairs or singles?

Do people want 292 mounts when upgrading from the smaller inline 6's?

BarryGMC
June 10th, 2014, 04:22 AM
The 230-250 are really the same as small block . The passenger side 292 is good stuff that is hard to get and in demand. Early bbc truck stands are gold. If you see a pre 72 bbc truck grab the stands.

BarryGMC
June 10th, 2014, 04:24 AM
To answer your Q yes. 292 up grades are popular.

BarryGMC
June 10th, 2014, 04:33 AM
Nathan I could write a book on good stuff. I trade to fund my projects. Google this. I have at least 10 ho52 no spins that cost me on average 50 bucks. I have 20 warn overdrives for pre 72 jeeps. averaged cost of 75 bucks. Chevy w motors. This stuff is out there. Get it and trade away.

nathankershaw
June 10th, 2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the info. Good stuff!
I'm a yard rat so I'll keep an eye out :)