PDA

View Full Version : Brake Drums

Mr. Happy 1965
May 29th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Hi,
I am new to your forum, and just purchased a 1965 1/2 ton. I went to put brakes on it and when I got to do the back brakes I noticed the drums where different but they had a Napa number on it. I call Napa and they told me they where for a 85 blazer. well now I am trying to find the right drum but every where I look it says for coil springs. my question is. is there a difference between the coil spring drum and my leaf spring drums. Any help would sure be appreciated THANKS

Jeannie
May 30th, 2014, 01:29 AM
Welcome to the club, Mr Happy!

If memory serves the blazer drums would fit if one drilled the holes to 9/16 inch from 1/2 inch. The Blazer springs were coil, the springs on yours would be leaves and irrelevant. You should be able to use the coil spring drum with the same modification without incident. The NAPA part number is ND 4401071.

You may verify you have the original rear end as well, as the entire assembly may have been swapped out by a well intentioned previous owner.

Looking forward to pictures,

:superhug:

-Jeannie

Mr. Happy 1965
May 30th, 2014, 01:38 AM
thank you Jeannie and you are right they did make the holes on the drum bigger to fit. will the drum from a 65 Chevy work, and it is the ordinal rear end it is a danna

Jeannie
May 30th, 2014, 01:55 AM
Chevrolet drums are not deep enough for your beefy GMC application. They will sit 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch away from the backing plate.

-Jeannie

Mr. Happy 1965
May 30th, 2014, 02:08 AM
hum that's not good do you know where I could find the original drums to buy

Jeannie
May 30th, 2014, 03:31 AM
To my knowledge there is not a direct OEM replacement. Autozone carries a part for 4x4 trucks that might work with the drillout method, Duralast part number 8821. Raybestos part number 2067 is also reported to work.

Ebay occasionally offers originals and seconds.

-Jeannie

BarryGMC
May 30th, 2014, 03:40 AM
I have 6 or 7 pairs. The real question is why are you guys that need the heavy parts always so far away? Shoot me a pm . Also if you need any thing else let me know. You may as well get that little thing in on the ride if you need it. Barry

Mr. Happy 1965
May 30th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Thank you Jeannie you have been a big help I really appreciate it, And Barry I will let you know about them drums. sorry I live so far away lol.

sclor
May 31st, 2014, 02:07 AM
Mr. Happy:
Gave you a reply over on Stovebolt. Hope it helps.
Regards,

Steve
New Orleans

Read all about it here:

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=465970&page=1 (http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=465970&page=1)

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans