PDA

View Full Version : New Oil, Old look...new sound?

FetchMeAPepsi
June 11th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I just swapped out Cecilia's oil and the old stuff was dark as night, which I expected. But after running her for 100 yards the new oil is just as black as the old oil was. I assume that's just sludge and "yuck" in the motor coming free?

But now I have a sound kinda like a hammer on a board in the engine when she's running. It sounds like a quick bang, not crazy loud but a little faster than a heartbeat while she's running. Is it possible I broke something with an oil change?

It sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the motor, but that could just be because she doesn't have a muffler so most of her noise is from down there.

:bigyikes:

BarryGMC
June 12th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Crap. You sure dont want to hear anything like that. Its hard to diagnose with out hearing it.

George Bongert
June 12th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Hey Fetch!

As Barry said, it's not a sound you want to hear, and hard to diagnose without hearing it firsthand. How's your oil pressure? It is possible to have a loose rod bearing, but that makes a "clattering" sound which increases in intensity when the engine is revved up quickly, and decreases in intensity when the throttle is released. A main bearing noise is noticed as more of a "thud" type of noise that would be more consistent with a steadily beating heart--think of it as a steady thump, thump, thump which will remain constant, and go up, or down depending on engine speed. You didn't break anything when you changed the oil. Get a good mechanic friend of yours to have a listen. He will be able to give you an idea what may be wrong with your engine.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 12th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks Barry and George. All my good mechanic friends are here on this board :teehee:

I'll record it this weekend but the second one you describe is what I'm hearing. It's not like a "bad gas" ethanol clatter but more like a deep down war drum kind of noise from the old westerns.

Foley
June 13th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Yo Fetch. I was just thinkin' a couple of things. Since we can't be there to see it or hear it or relive what you did, I'd ask a few questions:

Was this the first time you had changed the oil in Cecilia since you've owned that truck? You said the oil was real black, which is fine, but when it drained out, was it oily and free moving or was it thick and gloppy?

You also said "running for 100 yards". Does it make the same exact noise when the truck was under power and moving during the 100 yards, as it makes when it just sitting still and idleing?

Can you tell if it is a thump that seems to happen at a regular paced interval and increases as the rpms of the engine increase or not?

We'll have to wait for the audio as that would tell alot I hope.

Foley.

Crosshairs6
June 13th, 2014, 03:44 AM
I am not sure how you plan to record the noise but if I can make a suggestion, film the truck and put it on Youtube. Then attach the link here so we can click on it the see the video. I think that would be the best way for us to see/hear the problem. Take care Friend and good luck.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 17th, 2014, 04:11 AM
Yo Fetch. I was just thinkin' a couple of things. Since we can't be there to see it or hear it or relive what you did, I'd ask a few questions:

Was this the first time you had changed the oil in Cecilia since you've owned that truck? You said the oil was real black, which is fine, but when it drained out, was it oily and free moving or was it thick and gloppy?

You also said "running for 100 yards". Does it make the same exact noise when the truck was under power and moving during the 100 yards, as it makes when it just sitting still and idleing?

Can you tell if it is a thump that seems to happen at a regular paced interval and increases as the rpms of the engine increase or not?

We'll have to wait for the audio as that would tell alot I hope.

Foley.

Hey Foley!
The oil was thick and black as sin, but oily and moving around.
The I can't tell if it makes it when it's moving. It's hard to hear inside the cab.
The thump is at a regular interval. I can't tell if it increases with RPM due to the loud sound Cecilia makes without a muffler. :/

I am not sure how you plan to record the noise but if I can make a suggestion, film the truck and put it on Youtube. Then attach the link here so we can click on it the see the video. I think that would be the best way for us to see/hear the problem. Take care Friend and good luck.

Roger that! :thumbsup:
It is less loud now that I put the zinc additive in there. I went ahead and ordered the Archoil stuff too just to see if it changes things.

8ngsaPMIU6I

FetchMeAPepsi
June 20th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Can you guys hear it? I just got my archoil in and I'll be putting it in there tomorrow.

BarryGMC
June 20th, 2014, 04:25 AM
Pep I can hear it but its hard to say. I can't tell because its the same rpm. Things change under load and float and deceleration. Crap I wish I was close.

Quigley
July 18th, 2014, 03:16 AM
My 66 305E had a knock before we overhauled it. There were two pistons that had the skirts scored. I have a 70yr old friend that was a GMC mechanic back in the day of V6s. He said they were notorious for that, and had his own cure by lightly knurling the skirts for better oil retention.We knurled my new pistons and so far so good. I have a spare parts truck that did not knock until I changed the oil and it did the same thing as yours as soon as I did. Don't know why, but it sounds the same as the one with the scored pistons. Maybe a coincidence?? :goodluck:

SailorJ
July 22nd, 2014, 02:42 AM
Wow! That sounds just like the knock my motor (305E) started doing! I can't figure it out either! I've taken the oil pan off and looked at everything as much as I could and didn't see or feel anything abnormal. I even ran it briefly with the oil pan off and don't hear it. I also took off the dust cover of my tranny and checked inside the area of the torque converter. All looks and feels fine. Mine sounds like it's coming from the aft part of the motor. It speeds up with rpm until you can't really hear it and then comes back as idle drops. If you find out what this mistery is I'd love to hear about it. I posted about this recently titled "engine knock". Let me know if you figure it out! Good luck!