PDA

View Full Version : existing seat belt holes for 1966

Pops
July 21st, 2014, 05:28 AM
Well, here I am again. I was under my '66 the other day and spotted a few holes under the rear of cab floor. I noticed the holes were perfectly positioned for seat belts and come threaded. The middle holes appear to be plates with built in nuts; the outside corner holes appear to be weld nuts. It seems lap belts were an option in 1966 so the holes were put in all???
Anyway, are they safe to use if floor is solid? It looks to be an easy install. I tried to get some info and directions on this forum but came up short. Perhaps I'm not using the "search" correctly.
Is it as simple as using a washer, lock nut, grade 8 bolt, and making sure the metal portion of the belt is flush with floor? Can the belts be anchored without any swivel since they are lap belts? Anyone know bolt sizes, lengths, and thread info?? I have a pair of belts that look well made. I was told they came off a half ton ford though w/o ford logo. I will check tomorrow for fit. Advice needed. Thanks.

FetchMeAPepsi
July 21st, 2014, 02:16 PM
Its pretty simple. You just run the bolt through the belt till it's good-n-tight.
I installed one in Cecilia here.
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=52549&#post52549
I had fun with the post "Marty the Salesman" but the gist of it is all there. The only thing I didn't list (I think) was the bolt sizes.

You can go to a place like Tractor Supply where they have a bunch of bolts in bins and sell them by the pound. That way you can test a few and see which one works before you buy em.

Pops
July 22nd, 2014, 03:32 AM
Amazingly simple job. I picked up some grade 8, 7/16, fine thread bolts from the hardware and anchored in my belts. Unfortunately, my 7$ swap-meet 74 Ford truck belts are too short (maybe the seller didn't really have truck belts?). I can just barely snap the driver's side. I see I can buy extensions for about 8 bucks, but I also see that I can purchase a new after-market set for a reasonable price. If anyone cares to recommend a good vendor for a good set of lap belts, please post. Thanks.

Ed Snyder
July 22nd, 2014, 06:15 AM
I'm sure there are penny-pinchers out there who will disagree with me, Pops, but in my opinion seatbelts are not the place to go cheap on. My life, my wife's life, and my granddaughter's life are worth too much to me to rely on used seatbelts.

Prior to my trip to Redding, CA, for the April Mini-Meet, I replaced the old lap belts in my 2WD '67 with new 3-point lap/shoulder belts for driver and right hand passenger as well as new lap belt for the center passenger. And I just got done placing the same order for the one ton Suburban my Dad just gave me. I spent a couple of hours comparing all kinds of vendors, and would up ordering from that old stand-by, LMC. Here's a "cut and paste" from the order acknowledgment:

Part # Description Qty Price Total Status
38-2246-BL 3 PT RETRACTABLE SEAT BELT KIT 2 89.95 179.90 In Stock
38-2249-BL LAP SEAT BELT-BLACK 1 24.95 24.95 In Stock

Order Total $232.60

FetchMeAPepsi
July 22nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
This is what I picked up. The difference in this and OEM that I can tell is that OEM had a blueish paint on the buckle where this one is chrome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-60-Seat-Belt-Light-Blue-CASB4781-16-/290706064101?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1955|Make%3AChevrolet&hash=item43af6e82e5&vxp=mtr

Pops
July 22nd, 2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks for wisdom Ed.
Actually, I will eventually get new belts; hopefully 3 point. LMC is one of many companies that sell belts but they do not specialize so I thought I'd get some opinions first.
I am also hoping to find safe, clear instructions on fastening the belt to the B pillar, and, the retractor at the floor. Some jobs look pretty bad. I was at a car show Sunday and someone drilled out the B pillar and used about 8 washers to adjust the shoulder belt so it wouldn't hit the driver in the neck and collar bone. IMO, the sheet metal in the pillar will give way in a good accident and the washers would become like shrapnel.
Although I had factory threaded hole for the lap belts, I do not have existing holes in pillars. It they were already there, this would be a no brainer.

Ed Snyder
July 22nd, 2014, 06:12 PM
The '67 and later trucks come with anchor points already installed in the B pillars. I can't imagine that the sheet metal in the '67 B pillar is any stronger or thicker than the B pillar sheet metal in the 60-66 trucks.

Getting the washer and nut up inside the B pillar on the '66 and earlier trucks is a little tricky, but just requires getting creative by doing something like welding pieces of stiff wire to them. Taping the nut to the washer helps too.

Pops
August 5th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Hope this question makes sense. If I install 3 point seat belts, I am a little concerned about exact location for b-pillar hole to be drilled (comfort). I am also concerned about the rewind mechanism at floor. Do I have to drill new holes or is there some kind of bracket that mounts to the bolt holes already there?

Ed Snyder
August 6th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Hope this question makes sense. If I install 3 point seat belts, I am a little concerned about exact location for b-pillar hole to be drilled (comfort). I am also concerned about the rewind mechanism at floor. Do I have to drill new holes or is there some kind of bracket that mounts to the bolt holes already there?

Here's a photo of the 3-point belt I just received from LMC, Pops. The retractor and end of the belt next to it both bolt to the "L" bracket. The other leg of the "L" bolts to the floor. The anchor in the center (with the red washer) bolts to the B pillar. I like to mount them just above shoulder height to keep the belt from rubbing on my neck. The belt piece on the right (with the buckle) bolts to the floor toward the center of the bench seat of course. All the hardware shown comes with the belt kit. Installation is pretty straightforward and intuitive.

Click on the attached thumbnail for an enlarged view.

Pops
August 6th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Thanks Ed. In short, since I already have four existing holes, I do not have to drill any additional holes for the retractors. I realize I will need to drill for shoulder. Two thoughts: does the plate and nut for shoulder bolt come with kit? Secondly, the factory position for shoulder bolts looks too high. From your response, I take it I can bring down a couple inches. Do you have pictures of your installation?

Ed Snyder
August 9th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Thanks Ed. In short, since I already have four existing holes, I do not have to drill any additional holes for the retractors. I realize I will need to drill for shoulder. Two thoughts: does the plate and nut for shoulder bolt come with kit? Secondly, the factory position for shoulder bolts looks too high. From your response, I take it I can bring down a couple inches. Do you have pictures of your installation?

Here are a couple of photos from the installation in my 2WD '67, Pops. I used the factory location of course for the B pillar mounting. Since your '66 does not have those holes already, you can drill yours at any height you want. The plate and nut do come with the kit. A few inches above shoulder height is pretty comfortable, I think.

Pops
August 11th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Thank you Ed. Here's a another question, and then I feel I've covered everything. Are LMC belts two buckle systems (lap then shoulder) or one?

Ed Snyder
August 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Are LMC belts two buckle systems (lap then shoulder) or one?

Just one buckle, Pops.

Pops
August 12th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Big thank you Ed.