PDA

View Full Version : 305e crossroads

MrCos
September 18th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Hi everyone,
I got a 60 fleetside with a 305e, I haven't been doing much to it do to time restraints, etc. What I started doing is cleaning up the engine compartment. When I bought it a few months ago it hadn't ran in a few years. I haven't tried to start it up yet. I took the valve covers off to check things out. Then as I tinkered more I found a possible problem on the cam.
It's pitted and has some chipping on the cam surfaces. I'm not as versed with engine so I'm torn between trying to rebuild the 305 and keeping original as I can. But I'm also considering doing in a newer 350 so I can get ps,ac, etc.
I plan to keep this truck and hand it down to my boys. Not to mention driving it often.

So I need some advice, which way do I go? What is more economical? I worry about the availability of parts for the 305. Conversely I like the options of having a newer engine, etc.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks folks!
Marcos

MrCos
October 18th, 2014, 07:07 AM
:bump5:
Hi everyone, just curious if any so cal members can recommend a good engine shop around here? Hopefully in the IE or surrounding areas? Or maybe some shops to avoid? I wanna get some stuff checked out on my 305e, etc. Just worried about there not being a mechanic with experience on these engine nearby.
Anyways Thanks y'all!

Funky61
October 18th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Hey MrCos,
You may want to ask around some of the big truck shops to see if they can refer you or know someone that has experience with these engines.

Another possible option is to buy another V6 that is in better condition than you have now; and/or get one that's larger but dimensionally the same(351E, 401M...)

MrCos
October 21st, 2014, 12:52 AM
good Idea Funky! :thumbsup:
I start checking around and see if I can find someone local. thanks for the advice!
Marcos