PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning fuel lines

jagarra
December 24th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I am in the process of cleaning the lines to the engine compartment. I have been capping off the lines and filling them with Stabul. Seems to be working so far. The line feeding the filter has been the worse, luckily the line from the filter to the engine was not too bad, at least it wasn't blocked entirely.
Had to drop the fuel filter housing as it was really blocked inside the fittings.
When I cut the rubber portion of the line between the filter housing and tank, it was a solid block of hardened vanish in the center, for about 3"
Amazing how that vanish gets everywhere and gets so solid.

jrmunn
December 24th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Jagarra,

Now that you have removed rubber fuel lines to solve one problem, I want to warn you about another. I put some "new" rubber fuel lines on my 64 GMC pickup last year, and they are already turning into mush and leaking. I did the exact same thing on a 66 GMC truck using fuel line from another parts store that seems to be holding up fine. I am guessing that there is a difference in the way these rubber fuel lines are reacting to the new gas formulations in California. So it is worth checking to be sure that rubber fuel lines are compatible with new gas before buying them. And the same can be said for rubber parts in other fuel line components, such as fuel pump diaphragms and the gaskets for filter canisters. This is just another example of my growing list of learning things the hard way.

JRMunn

jagarra
December 25th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the warning. seems that this NEW GAS is more trouble than it is worth, especially for older vehicles.
We have issues with the gas, issues with the oil.