PDA

View Full Version : Windshield wiper motors

Hantke
January 19th, 2015, 11:46 PM
Does anybody have any pictures of a mounted wiper motor? I don't have the wiper switch or the motors (I don't think it do at least...) and can't seem to find any good pictures of where they are or how to replace them, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hantke
January 20th, 2015, 12:37 AM
New question. I found the wiper motor and wires, I have the blck, dark blue, and light blue near the instrument panel. The yellow (fuse wire) doesn't appear to be retrievable. Is it possible to run the wipers without the fuse wire? I'm going to need to build a to-do list to fix the wipers.

FetchMeAPepsi
January 20th, 2015, 11:44 PM
New question. I found the wiper motor and wires, I have the blck, dark blue, and light blue near the instrument panel. The yellow (fuse wire) doesn't appear to be retrievable. Is it possible to run the wipers without the fuse wire? I'm going to need to build a to-do list to fix the wipers.

Where did you find the wiper motors?

You can run it without the fuse wire, but you gotta be careful of a fire if you get a short.

Hantke
January 20th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Apparently it's just one big assembly, dead center in the cab under the dash

Hantke
January 20th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Mine has a pump attached to it for a sprayer to wash the windshield, but like most things, it's been ripped up and cut out partially

FetchMeAPepsi
January 21st, 2015, 01:27 AM
Your info says you don't have a GMC. So what vehicle are you talking about? We are not allowed to talk about anything but a GMC with a GMC motor I have been told.

He just got a new chevy, but the windshield motor should be the same. :chillpill:

:beer:

GMCDAC
January 21st, 2015, 02:06 AM
Here's the thread about his Chevy, Ken.

http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48548

AZKen
January 21st, 2015, 02:38 AM
Great truck that looks pretty solid. I had a northern CA. truck with that same "moss". Power washed off and paint was still good. Used #0000 steel wool on it also, carefully. Did not read the whole other post so maybe you had your own ideas. H: Put that truck in your signature.

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 04:00 AM
I'll get around to it one of these days! My computer just fried on me so I'm down to the mobile devices for any forum use. But yeah it's a '66 C20, I was hoping it was the same part GMC used, but if I can't talk about it here I'll go back to my other rides forum lol.

AZKen
January 21st, 2015, 10:07 PM
So I read that you have a motor. Did you test it? That's the next step. You do need a fuse for everything. You can bench test it with a battery or a battery charger. Use an inline fuse while testing. To determine if it is one speed or two, tell me how many terminals are on the motor and I will give you the test procedure. Then the washer test after that. I'm thinking only two speed had washer.

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 10:09 PM
There are 5 wires

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 10:09 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/21/9b50c62788eab1ff4b7d036b65cdde3d.jpg

AZKen
January 21st, 2015, 10:26 PM
Stand by while I check. I have a 63 manual. Do you have a manual?

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 10:51 PM
I couldn't find a manual for a 66 3/4 ton yet, plus there is a lot of "custom" work lol. I got a new test light as mine burned out and a couple test leads that should hopefully help me not have to solder until I know exactly which ones I want soldered.

AZKen
January 21st, 2015, 10:53 PM
If you want to service it, check it, clean it, then you need to take it out. If you want to just check wiring and try it... you have two connectors as you can see. The yellow wire goes to fuse panel, the blue goes to switch. The other connector energizes the solenoid on the washer pump.

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 11:04 PM
Okay, so if i was to test to see if it worked, I would simply supply power to the wire going to the fuse panel, then what? The solid yellow goes from one plug to empty space, black + dark blue are connected and come out near the disappears and I never found the other end of the black / yellow striped one.
If I supply power to yellow, the light blue or dark blue just need to be grounded to make it work theoretically, right?

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 11:04 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/21/29ed7bffa44e674413120c975006e72b.jpg

AZKen
January 21st, 2015, 11:22 PM
Unplug connectors. I don't see the dark colors in you pic very well. Your diagram does not match the colors on my info or your actual. If I am seeing it correctly. Here is what I have. Using your color sketch as ref: Connect terminals for DB and LB together and to ground, power to terminal for Yel WITH inline fuse, this is LO, disconnect DB, this is HI. Keep DB and LB jumpered but not to ground, this is off. If you had a proper switch you could test with connectors connected and IGN on. But you don't so need test wire from battery and jumpers. For this test you need to be sure you have battery/power source neg continuity to wiper motor case.

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 11:35 PM
Okay, pump has dark blue + black & yellow, black & yellow connects back to the motor. Dark blue comes out by switch location.

Motor from L to R has black & yellow, yellow, light blue, solid black. The diagram was off google.

So I'll jump DB to LB (pump to motor) and supply power to yellow

AZKen
January 21st, 2015, 11:37 PM
read again....DB jumped to LB AND grounded..... the DB,LB, YEL are per your color diagram NOT necessarily per actual wire color.

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 11:39 PM
Motor: black yellow, yellow, light blue, black
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/21/0ece36bf9d76dc19214dcd9e92809721.jpg
pump: black yellow, dark blue
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/21/1c0a2fd51ffc2d978a8a2af5c6bfa496.jpg

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 11:39 PM
Okay, I can do that, I have a ground wire and a jump cable. I added some hopefully better quality pictures to

AZKen
January 21st, 2015, 11:45 PM
Lets agree to use "Pump Coil "connections and "Wiper Motor" Connections. There is no pump motor. The pump is operated thru gearing from the wiper motor as you know. The pump is actuated via a coil/solenoid. It's gear is always turning but pump rod is not always moving. I think that's the general deal. Just so we don't get mixed up with terms.
The pump and it's coil are operated by one wire to hot and one wire to switch and sw is grounded on dash to complete circuit. I guess it's a push button on the wiper switch?

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 11:48 PM
Sure thing, sorry about that! I almost wish I didn't have the sprayers just to simplify things!
So I found the wire fuse has power, but there is seemingly no way to connect to it, other than that I'm hooked up

*edit*

So I hooked onto a flange sticking off the fuse, my jumper now has power verified by the test light. Not sure if that is safe or not, but it turns off when the key is turned off so I can at least test it for now. I'll hook it up and try turning the key back to the one position

Hantke
January 21st, 2015, 11:57 PM
Okay, it works! At least it's making noise. I can hear the gears moving as well, but the wiper blade attachment points aren't rotating

Hantke
January 22nd, 2015, 12:18 AM
Ignore the actual video. This is the sound i get, is this the wiper motor? Or is the the gears for the sprayer?
https://vimeo.com/117443272

AZKen
January 22nd, 2015, 12:29 AM
Looks like total picture is motor connector: black to top of sw (said to be term 1), LB to sw 3, yel to fused ign on. yel/blk to washer connector, DB from washer connector to sw 2. Motor case and sw grounded to dash/chassis.

Hantke
January 22nd, 2015, 12:33 AM
Should I try connecting b&yellow back again? I assumed if it was left disconnected (required to use the leads) it just wouldn't allow me to use my sprayers (not an issue due to Hose rot and a lack of a container, etc).

AZKen
January 22nd, 2015, 12:34 AM
Did you unplug washer pump connector, if so, it's the motor. Does not sound good. Don't do that very much until you see if transmission arms are hooked up and what the heck is connected to them. Get a light under there are see what is attached and what is turning. Unplug washer connector while testing. I have a person who has a switch for you. PM your address. Will advise more in PM.

Hantke
January 22nd, 2015, 12:38 AM
So right now I have yellow connected to Power, tried LB + DB and LB alone (grounded, of course) to try HI & LO but got the exact same result both ways. The washer has nothing connected to it now (DB is on the washer plug, but connected or not it makes the same sound)

Hantke
January 22nd, 2015, 12:41 AM
Am I able to view what's going on from anywhere or do I need to completely remove the wiper motor?

AZKen
January 22nd, 2015, 02:10 AM
You need to see if there are splined posts coming up thru cowl and see if they move. Put your hand on the wiper motor and around and see if you can sense what is rumbling. Could be a loose wiper motor mount. There is a rocker bar that reciprocates back and forth on motor. Are there any transmission arms from that bar going to each wiper post? Take it out. Could be broken gears, may be only nylon.
Did you see me say someone has a switch and knob for you? and a motor if you want it. Fairly near you. Very reasonable indeed. I asked you to PM me.

Hantke
January 22nd, 2015, 02:28 AM
Oh sorry when I posted I hadn't seen your post, I was just leaving the shop on my way to class. I'll send a PM in just a minute.

AZKen
January 22nd, 2015, 02:33 AM
No sweat, catch you tomorrow. Go to class.

Hantke
January 26th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all the help! After removing my cowl I realized that it was literally packed with pine needles. I thought it was a shallow cowl, wow was I wrong! After cleaning it out a lot and coating my driveway in the remnants, I got to the arms which were bound tight. I worked 'em loose little by little and got the whole system moving and when I got it to reach to its full extent it gave off a pretty good pop and I could feel resistance of what I assumed was the wiper motor. Gave it a test run, and wallah! I have a working wiper assembly! Now I just need to get some wipers!

Hantke
January 27th, 2015, 12:44 AM
After a few scoops of mud and needles:
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/26/8c795decd9cb7fd00ddc89b288e66b23.jpg
After a quick rinse:
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/26/3f5d5de0593f1c820d134e9accfe989e.jpg
And a kind of cool look at the old paint layers
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/26/3472adec5d00b86caa12d87f46e12af4.jpg

AZKen
January 28th, 2015, 05:09 AM
Good work Hantke.

Hantke
January 28th, 2015, 05:25 AM
Thanks! I was quite pleased to come out of this without having to replace the wiper motor! I don't think I could have done it by now without the help of you guys though, so thank you for your help!

Now I just need to find some new wiper arms!

AZKen
January 28th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Any of the usual classic truck vendors have them, unless you mean the transmission arms.

Hantke
January 28th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Okay, cool. I struck out at Napa and auto zone. Oreillys claims to have them for $11 and if that doesn't work I just found a new place called golden eagle classic right down the road from me.

GJones
May 4th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Has anyone upgraded to a newer, better wiper and motor? If so, what did you use? My wipers are mostly terrible although I just put new blades on them. Was wondering if there is a way to upgrade?