PDA

View Full Version : 1964 GMC "crustine" semi-build.

Pages : [1] 2

TJ's GMC
May 6th, 2015, 04:04 AM
Well, alot of you have seen this truck already, but I thought I'd start a thread so I can document and post pictures of the things I do here and there. I don't have the pictures of when I brought her home anymore so these will have to do. But I do have a video. lol So meet Crustine! 1964 GMC 1500 with a 67 year 305E V6 and 4 speed. Good ol truck. Fun as heck. :thumbsup:

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

TJ's GMC
May 6th, 2015, 04:09 AM
So in this video after I started the tune up(changed the oil, new plugs and plug wires, new cap, points, and coil, new fuel filter). I started experiencing a knocking noise. And it was right after I changed the plugs...so here I think..great...wrong plugs...put the old ones back in...no change..again..great...now I gotta dig into the engine. Well fast forwarding I'm pretty sure it was either carbon...or some crap that fell in the cylinder from changing the plugs. This engine wasn't particularly clean. lol So after inspecting and more inspecting...suddenly...the knock stopped...I freeze...engine it running fine...no issues...no smoking...well Really fast forward and I'm know sure it was a valve that hung up because I have a slightly bent pushrod. Anyhow...no knock now!

TJ's GMC
May 6th, 2015, 04:19 AM
Alright! So, In one of those videos you'll here me talk about a blown head gasket...well...fast forward to last week end and my ordered head gaskets came in along with a set of intake gaskets from felpro. Sunday after church with some help from a friend I dismantled the engine enough to pull that one head off and low and behold..It WASN'T a blown head gasket. Here I am like NO!!! 4 hours of labor to find this!!!! lol Well...it was fun and very greasy. haha And I got winded lifting that head outta there but was able to mange alone...somehow...so anyway...come to find out the valley pan gasket is gone...pretty much sucked in by the engine and spit out...so of course I didn't have one so I'm like "Oh, but I got lots a silicon!!!" :ahhhh: lol. So...gooooed it up real good and threw it back on...put the head back on...torqued it down(making up my own pattern. lol Seems fine so far) and put the valve train back together...adjusted the valves on both sides....hook up my hoses and start pouring anti freeze in and I'm wondering why my pants are wet....well...that big ol harrison blew a hole. Crap!!! lol So fast forward to today and I throw in my 64 chevy's old radiator in there...hook everything up and Walla!!! No leaks!!! :thumbsup: (music dies) except for a crusty old lower rad hose that's dripping a bit...but quick enough. Ah well...get a new one from Napa and redrain the water for the 4th time. lol So, next on the list...Carb kit!!! New air cleaner...better oil...and drive drive drive!!! But for now...she's running wonderfully again! And I'm excited for out next drive. Video tomorrow guys. :egyptian:

TJ's GMC
May 7th, 2015, 04:05 AM
Well Gents, Here's the latest video! She's running like a swiss watch. Carb rebuild and I think we'll be doing a burnout. :thumbsup:

Onuma
May 8th, 2015, 03:59 AM
Cool. I've subbed to your YT channel too.

TJ's GMC
May 8th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Cool. I've subbed to your YT channel too.

Thanks! Got a notification this morning. :thumbsup:

jturk
May 15th, 2015, 12:33 AM
Looking good and sounds great TJ!! If my 65 would've had a V-6 instead of the inline 230 6 cylinder I would have kept it, but went totally different path because of that. Following your updates so keep them coming.

TJ's GMC
May 15th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Looking good and sounds great TJ!! If my 65 would've had a V-6 instead of the inline 230 6 cylinder I would have kept it, but went totally different path because of that. Following your updates so keep them coming.

Thanks! On another note...that little 230 could have been made into a mean motor. lol I'm talking turbo's here. :thumbsup: lol. I kept the 292 in my 66 chevy and have a freshly hopped up 292 going into it backed by a tremec 5 speed. It'll be one heck of alot of fun.

TJ's GMC
May 15th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Well how is everyone? lol Took crustine on her 1st "long haul" today. Went and picked up manure at a friend's house and brought it home...Thing ran FLAWLESSLY! Man! Bout a 15 mile round trip...took the long way home so I could pull some grades and I am impressed. I'd take that 305 over a stinkin 350 anyday. I'm pullin hills in 4th at 50 miles an hour at 1/4 throttle with ease. Awesome engine, people need to realize what they really have instead of wanting the cheap and easy rout. If it runs good leave it! :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
May 21st, 2015, 05:21 PM
Alrighty so Crustine had a new windshield installed yesterday! Nice to have the old cracked one gone and a new seal that doesn't leak like crazy.

Onuma
May 21st, 2015, 05:49 PM
Nice! I had my '66 windshield replaced last year -- different circumstances, however. It's great not to have to worry about rain & the elements getting in anymore :) Though I still need to clean up the door window channels & seals. Never-ending battle against rust, rot, and degradation.

TJ's GMC
May 21st, 2015, 07:30 PM
I hear ya. Its bad in Oregon for sure. I don't think we have to worry about the salt during the winter though...they just put down a bunch of sand.

Onuma
May 21st, 2015, 09:09 PM
I don't think we have to worry about the salt during the winter though...they just put down a bunch of sand.

The DC area was absolutely awful last year. Not only did they exhaust their supply of salt (literally, they ran out before the winter was over), but they have been using a surface pre-treatment solution on the roadways which is supposed to help melt ice & snow and prevent it from sticking. That stuff, it seems, does even more damage than salt -- or at least when combined with the salt makes a super-rusty cocktail which speeds up the corrosion process.

My '04 Ford Exploder had a rusty panel over the right rear wheel, but after this winter it switched from surface rust to full-blown rot :( Lame! Part of that is Ford's fault in engineering & poorly preparing the inner and outer surfaces, but part is my father's fault for trying to repair the rust half-assedly. He didn't seal it all as well as he should have, which caused even more crap to get in and corrode things. I will literally need the back quarter of the truck replaced to keep things from getting too bad in the long run...it's a good thing I can cut, weld, grind, sand, prep & paint!

David R Leifheit
May 21st, 2015, 10:30 PM
I hear ya. Its bad in Oregon for sure. I don't think we have to worry about the salt during the winter though...they just put down a bunch of sand.

Sand and lava rock (pumice and others). It *can* scratch up the paint, especially if you try to scrub it off, rather than hose off as much as you can.

My worry would be sliding. Sand doesn't do much really, and that craptastic anti-ice stuff they use (must be applied to dry pavement, breaks down in water) ... well I don't expect it to do anything.

TJ's GMC
May 22nd, 2015, 03:31 PM
Sand and lava rock (pumice and others). It *can* scratch up the paint, especially if you try to scrub it off, rather than hose off as much as you can.

My worry would be sliding. Sand doesn't do much really, and that craptastic anti-ice stuff they use (must be applied to dry pavement, breaks down in water) ... well I don't expect it to do anything.

Yeah, that's why I'm leaving the GMC as is for awhile. lol No paint to worry about scratching! :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
May 24th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Well....soooo..what was I saying about a 2 barrel holley? Well...sorry guys...THAT was a lie. HAHA! Yep, friend of mine had a large plenum 4 down to 2 barrel adapter and it fit right on and I had this edelbrock laying around so heck...Why not? Woke the engine up alot and that thing runs sweet. Hoping to modify the throttle linkage today so I can hook it up and see if she'll do a burnout. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
May 26th, 2015, 04:56 AM
I took Crustine for a little drive today and MAN! So...my situation now is...to low a gear ratio...not enough RPM and can't shift fast enough. lol I'll say one thing...there's a boat load of torque at my disposal now. :thumbsup: Needless to say I was in 4th gear withing 200 feet and I wasn't even floored...2nd goes so fast your tacked out before you can blink. lol Stoked with how well that 4 barrel worked out. New dizzy is on its was as I have been having troubles with my old one once in awhile. Next on the list I think is straight 2.5 inch duals with flowmaster 50's. And maybe converting to 3.73's in the future though I love the low gearing because I can haul a load and accelerate with ease. 55 seems to be about tops though. Need to also put a tach on there. Later guys.

TJ's GMC
May 26th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Picture of my gorgeous throttle linkage. lol NOT my welding.

Onuma
June 3rd, 2015, 02:52 AM
It ain't pretty, but I'd bet it's strong!

TJ's GMC
June 3rd, 2015, 03:23 AM
So far it hasn't gone anywhere. :lolsmack2:

TJ's GMC
June 27th, 2015, 02:00 PM
I'm taking the ol girl to a car show today! Hopefully I don't get booted out! :bump5:m Maybe I'll win "ugliest truck" award. :lolsmack2:

TJ's GMC
June 27th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Crustine won her 1st award today! Would haven taken the pictures of the truck at the show but it was so stinkin hot today I sat under a tree pretty much the whole time. lol

WDShaffer
June 28th, 2015, 10:56 PM
There ya go! A space for everyone at a good car show!

TJ's GMC
June 29th, 2015, 04:56 AM
Thanks! It was alot of fun for sure.

Onuma
June 29th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Excellent! Congrats to Crustine. Well deserved.

TJ's GMC
July 1st, 2015, 02:46 AM
Thanks. :thumbsup: It was alot of fun.

TJ's GMC
July 18th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Well guys, nothing to report lately as all I have been doing is driving Crustine. She's been such a good runner. My main focus has been on my 66 chevy. But I am hoping to take Crustine for some new exhaust next month. Those flowmaster's are calling my name. lol

TJ's GMC
September 7th, 2015, 04:21 AM
Hey guys! Well Crustine got upset at me for focusing so much time on my 66 C10 so she decided to Force me to pay attention to her. lol Starter quit working. Got it rebuilt and no issues now. Also got the engine a bigger air cleaner. So here's a video for ya and a picture! Tomorrow I'll upload a video of us doing a small acceleration test. See ya!

FetchMeAPepsi
September 9th, 2015, 04:12 PM
She's a purty ol' girl, that Crustine! She deserved some bling in her trophy case. Nice artwork on it too. I'd hang it on the front windshield and point to it every time a car passed me :lolsmack: !

Congrats! :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
September 9th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Thanks!!! Yep, she's lovely for sure! lol Alot of fun to. Love that V6.

TJ's GMC
September 19th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Crustine's new air cleaner! Matches a little better than that tiny one I had on there. lol

TJ's GMC
September 28th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Scrapped the crappy old seat that was in Crustine for a nicer original style seat. The 50 year old upholstery still looks good! lol Will be getting a good seat cover to protect the rips.

TJ's GMC
October 5th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Well Crustine's old mirrors are no more....both tended to sit where ever they pleased. lol SO I got some more bling. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
November 2nd, 2015, 05:54 PM
Here's a couple of update videos:

TJ's GMC
November 22nd, 2015, 11:08 PM
Hey guys!!! Crustine got new exhaust yesterday!!! She sounds soooo good! Here's a video! See ya!

Foley
November 25th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the video and audio!! I enjoyed listening to the great "stack music" as it's called. Who did the work for you, and what kinda dinero are we talking about for a set up like that?

Foley,
A guy with a rusted out exhaust sys

TJ's GMC
November 25th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the video and audio!! I enjoyed listening to the great "stack music" as it's called. Who did the work for you, and what kinda dinero are we talking about for a set up like that?

Foley,
A guy with a rusted out exhaust sys

Thanks for the comment! A local muffler shop did it for me. Known the owner for years. He purchased the mufflers and did the work for $500. Would have been $400 had he not had so much trouble getting the old exhaust manifold collector bolts out. The swap is really easy as this is a LWB truck so routing and finding a place for the mufflers is simple.

TJ's GMC
November 29th, 2015, 01:29 AM
Hi all. Installed a "new" electric fuel pump on Crustine and relocated it under the tank. Also got the headlights working properly and made a customer redneck fuel pump block off plate. lol See ya!

Funky61
December 1st, 2015, 05:55 PM
TJ, which brand of fuel pump did you use?

TJ's GMC
December 1st, 2015, 06:15 PM
TJ, which brand of fuel pump did you use?

I bought that pump 3 years ago so I don't even remember. :banghead:
I got it from Napa and that's all I remember. lol. I used it on my 66 C10 before I tore it apart.

TJ's GMC
December 27th, 2015, 01:26 AM
Hey guys, well today I installed new belts and a new rad cap and overflow tank. The tank really wasn't needed but I installed one just in case. lol And I made a drive by video so you guys could get a better idea of the exhaust. See ya! <br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

TJ's GMC
January 2nd, 2016, 04:56 AM
Well today I went and pressure washed Crustine from top to bottom including the underside....MAN did a ton of mud fall everywhere. lol Also got some super cleaner and sprayed the engine bay down with it and pressure washed the bay....looks a heck of alot better under there now. Firewall looks new! haha While I was at it I installed a ball and safety chain hooks on the bumper so I can tow trailers when needed. Which I did today. lol Put about a 1/4 load of wet oak in the bed and a bunch of branches and towed the trailer around today...double axle trailer weighing probably around 2500 pounds. Slowed the big v6 down a bit but it pulled it no issues none the less. I plan to start using the truck and trailer to tow my 1947 Case VAI around and maybe to some shows. See ya!

rusty66
January 2nd, 2016, 02:57 PM
Looking good, especially the engine.:thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
January 2nd, 2016, 03:15 PM
Looking good, especially the engine.:thumbsup:

Thanks! Yeah, it was nice to see there was still Some paint under the inch layer of grease! lol

TJ's GMC
January 20th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Well guys Crustine has been running like a champ! I've been driving her all over the place and even towed some loads with her. Been fun! I'm looking into possibly a different tranny for her as the SM-420 is terrible for towing applications. If I can score a good used gear splitter I may jump on it as a new Gear Vendors is a complete rip off.

TJ's GMC
February 22nd, 2016, 08:51 PM
Hey guys! Got my new tailgate installed! No more chevy tailgate on a GMC! :upyes:

Funky61
February 22nd, 2016, 09:08 PM
Nice TJ and looks to be pretty straight!

TJ's GMC
February 22nd, 2016, 09:45 PM
Nice TJ and looks to be pretty straight!

Thanks! And it is Very straight.

TJ's GMC
April 18th, 2016, 04:07 AM
Hi all! Went and visited Ed Snyder today. Had a fun time looking at his trucks and talking about our projects. While I was there I purchased a manifold from him to modify. Super excited to start some cutting. Also got some new shocks and hub caps and grease seals for Crustine. Later guys!

TJ's GMC
April 28th, 2016, 03:06 AM
Hi guys, Got the new shocks, grease seals, and hub caps installed. Man does this thing drive Alot better. What a difference! Also took some snapshots while I was out. Later all! :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
May 2nd, 2016, 12:44 AM
Well Crustine was hard at work yesterday. Loaded up a bunch of branches and moved some wood with her in the morning.

TJ's GMC
May 2nd, 2016, 12:49 AM
Then after getting my ears lowered I hitched up the trailer and loaded up my 47 Case tractor and took them to the shop where we installed new marker lights and got the tail lights on the trailer working correctly. Also installed a trailer harness on Crustine so now I can legally tow a trailer!!! :thumbsup:
I did find a severely cracked up front brake hose SO I'm gonna ordering new ones. lol

TJ's GMC
May 12th, 2016, 03:33 AM
Scored a set of bumper guards for Crustine. Also chrome painted the valve covers for the heck of it. lol

Funky61
May 12th, 2016, 03:35 AM
Great score TJ and the covers came out nice too.

TJ's GMC
May 12th, 2016, 03:36 AM
Great score TJ and the covers came out nice too.

Thanks! They look a bit better in camera. haha But when the sun hits them it almost looks like genuine chrome.

bigblockv6
May 12th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Looks close to the real thing in pics:ahhhh:

TJ's GMC
May 12th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Looks close to the real thing in pics:ahhhh:

lol. Looks pretty close in the sunshine to! Moving up in the world. Maybe I'll scout a pair or have them chromed. lol

TJ's GMC
May 14th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Well drove Crustine around today...Chrome paint is still there so I should be good. lol

bigblockv6
May 14th, 2016, 09:17 PM
You know those chrome painted valve covers may eventually tarnish from the heat!:lolsmack2:

TJ's GMC
May 16th, 2016, 04:41 AM
You know those chrome painted valve covers may eventually tarnish from the heat!:lolsmack2:

lol! Then I'll be repainting them! haha!

Well my magnum manifold is on its way! Super excited to cut that thing open and get some air flow through that motor. Probably gonna grab some jet down kits for my edelbrock.

TJ's GMC
May 17th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Got my magnum manifold! Gonna take it Wednesday and have a buddy mill it for me.

azlamm65GMC
May 18th, 2016, 05:32 AM
Very nice

TJ's GMC
May 18th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Very nice

Thanks! Excited to start cutting this evening!

TJ's GMC
May 21st, 2016, 03:22 PM
Started by grinding down the flange on the manifold. I then purchase a 1 inch tall block of aluminum to be the carb adapter. Then I found out that one of my buddies has a mill! :thumbsup: So I'll be getting a perfect job done. Super excited guys!!!

bigblockv6
May 21st, 2016, 04:45 PM
Why not just use a 4bbl square bore carb spacer? Save you the extra work:ahhhh:

TJ's GMC
May 21st, 2016, 08:13 PM
Why not just use a 4bbl square bore carb spacer? Save you the extra work:ahhhh:

I would have! But the one I have wouldn't fit right. The mounting holes to mount the adapter to the manifold were in the wrong places. Oh well! I don't mind. lol

bigblockv6
May 21st, 2016, 09:59 PM
The problem is your talking about an adapter and I'm talking about a spacer plate.:pullinghairout: A square bore spacer plate will only have holes where the carb mounts, all you have to do is make 4 new holes in the spacer plate that sink down, you did see the pic of my setup in this previous post?

TJ's GMC
May 22nd, 2016, 06:23 AM
The problem is your talking about an adapter and I'm talking about a spacer plate.:pullinghairout: A square bore spacer plate will only have holes where the carb mounts, all you have to do is make 4 new holes in the spacer plate that sink down, you did see the pic of my setup in this previous post?

Yep! I did. My bad. haha! We were talking about the same thing and I was wording it differently...or not. lol Well it's to late now. Already have everything milled out and ready to be bolted together. Sunday I'll drill and tap the manifold and will be putting it on the motor for a test. More pics to come.

TJ's GMC
May 22nd, 2016, 04:43 PM
More pictures of course! lol!
Spent the rest of yesterday after work milling out this intake and adapter. Time consuming, but a lot of fun. Enjoy the pictures!

TJ's GMC
May 22nd, 2016, 04:50 PM
Comparison pictures. And I am surprised at how clean the plugs are considering it was drinking all that fuel with no air.

TJ's GMC
May 23rd, 2016, 01:55 AM
Well guys, I got everything installed today! :thumbsup:

All I can say is...Man...What an improvement! Drinks the fuel with No problem and pulls better than I expected. Few vacuum leaks to fix and it'll run like a champ again. Needs new intake gaskets(they'll be here tuesday) and has a little leak between the adapter and manifold which some silicon and a re-tighten should fix. Idles a tad rough and back fires through the exhaust just a tad when slowing down. New gaskets should remedy that. Far as the plugs go...they're burning real clean...even with points and a pertronix coil. Gonna have to put some thicker oil in the engine and a can of engine restore as it looked like it was burning a bit of oil. lol Had to lead foot it a couple times....hopefully didn't hurt anything! Anyhow, Hope ya'all enjoyed your weekend! See ya!

TJ's GMC
May 26th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Alright, so I installed a new set of intake gaskets....also siliconed the adapter gasket to the intake...well...the leaks are gone or there is at least hardly Any leak. Idles smooth...fires right up...and pulls like a dream. Pops when slowing down now. lol But that's nothing new for a carbed engine. Timing is at 10 so that might be a bit much, but I'm a leave her like this for now. Will pull some plugs and do another check, and will be making a video soon. Got a lead on some 16 inch rims so I will have pictures if I get them.

TJ's GMC
May 31st, 2016, 05:04 AM
Well Crustine has been running better than ever. Got the fuel gauge to work properly so I can try and do a fuel mileage test. Towing has improved. Hauled a good load of lumber the other day and Crustine did a fine job. Also made a video for ya'all.....will be making a better acceleration video later when I have someone to hold the camera. Later guys!

aphaynes
May 31st, 2016, 06:07 PM
:yourock: Looking good!

Funky61
May 31st, 2016, 06:46 PM
I'm curious to see if you have an improvement in mileage. Also I read somewhere that adding a crossover pipe in the exhaust stops the popping on deceleration.
Nice work on all these upgrades and videos too TJ; I really enjoy them and looks like you get a lot of views too.

TJ's GMC
May 31st, 2016, 07:07 PM
:yourock: Looking good!
Thanks man!
I'm curious to see if you have an improvement in mileage. Also I read somewhere that adding a crossover pipe in the exhaust stops the popping on deceleration.
Nice work on all these upgrades and videos too TJ; I really enjoy them and looks like you get a lot of views too.

I'm curious to. Hoping the mileage didn't go down! haha! It pops a tad when slowing down, but only around 1500 does it really pop. Plugs are burning clean though. Yeah, finally over 560 subscribers now! Been posting for 2 years. Thanks! :thumbsup:

kchampagne
June 2nd, 2016, 03:13 PM
TJ, the engine sounds amazing!! What size exhaust are you running?

TJ's GMC
June 2nd, 2016, 03:40 PM
TJ, the engine sounds amazing!! What size exhaust are you running?

Thanks! I'm running 2.25 to the muffler and then a 2.5 tail pipe. True dual exhaust. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
June 4th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Well Crustine had another heavy load in tow this morning! Not quite as heavy as last week's, but still good size. :thumbsup: That ol 305 V6 done did a fine job!

TJ's GMC
June 12th, 2016, 03:03 PM
So yesterday after work I changed the oil and filter in Crustine. Boy that oil came out a bit dirty! Anyhow, fresh rotella 15w-40 seemed to make things all better. I'm gonna head to Napa today and get some zinc additive. I figure it can't hurt since I am driving this truck everyday.
As I have been doing towing and alot of city like driving so far my mileage has been 10 mpg. So I'm guessing 12 on the highway. Mileage and speed should go up a hair as I found a nice set of 238/85r16's that I will be purchasing. Currently has 29's on it right now(sucks, and they have flat spots. lol). Also purchased a new front brake hose as I am in danger of no brakes if it's not changed out soon. haha Not to mention she needs a new brake booster and master cylinder! Oh...add to that a new steering gear box and tie rod arms because the steering has its own mind...especially when gust of wind hit the truck. So quite a list! Will be doing it a little at a time as my 66 takes priority.

bigblockv6
June 12th, 2016, 04:03 PM
I'm using Rotella 15W-40 in my 478 as break in oil because it contains zinc, so why would you need to add additional zinc to it?:helpsign:

jrmunn
June 12th, 2016, 04:08 PM
TJ,

If you think a brake line hose is going bad, change it as soon as you can. I had one go out on a 64 GMC pickup with a single pot master cylinder while coming back from a trip to the mountains with a load of trash and lost all hydraulic brakes. I was saved by the emergency brake that operates the rear wheel brakes manually. A few weeks later, the emergency brake cable broke, so I was very lucky. This was a wake-up call about how important being able to stop is. I have since replaced all brake line hoses, put in a new emergency brake cable (made locally and works great), and installed a dual pot master cylinder (where the hardest part was bending a new line to fit under the motor).

JRMunn

TJ's GMC
June 12th, 2016, 04:40 PM
I'm using Rotella 15W-40 in my 478 as break in oil because it contains zinc, so why would you need to add additional zinc to it?:helpsign:
My bad, I didn't know it already had zinc in it! haha! Thanks!
TJ,

If you think a brake line hose is going bad, change it as soon as you can. I had one go out on a 64 GMC pickup with a single pot master cylinder while coming back from a trip to the mountains with a load of trash and lost all hydraulic brakes. I was saved by the emergency brake that operates the rear wheel brakes manually. A few weeks later, the emergency brake cable broke, so I was very lucky. This was a wake-up call about how important being able to stop is. I have since replaced all brake line hoses, put in a new emergency brake cable (made locally and works great), and installed a dual pot master cylinder (where the hardest part was bending a new line to fit under the motor).

JRMunn

Will do! 1st I noticed it was when I had the truck on a lift, that was a wake up call just Noticing it! haha Gonna try and get it replaced today. As of now I've just been slowing down really early so I don't have to use the brakes to much. lol

TJ's GMC
June 16th, 2016, 02:30 AM
New tires came in today! And here's a picture of the new rims!

Funky61
June 16th, 2016, 02:50 AM
Nice TJ! Are those the GM factory 16" steel wheels.

TJ's GMC
June 16th, 2016, 03:00 AM
Nice TJ! Are those the GM factory 16" steel wheels.

Thanks man! Unfortunately the rims are off a ford, but I will grind the blue oval stamp off and the curse will be lifted. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
June 16th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Well I got Crustine's new tires mounted this morning !:thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi
June 16th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Hey TJ! Those ford wheels bolted up right? I might have to do that. I'm hating life with these 15s and GMC rims are tough to come by. What were they to originally?

Your new tires look SLICK! :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
June 16th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Hey TJ! Those ford wheels bolted up right? I might have to do that. I'm hating life with these 15s and GMC rims are tough to come by. What were they to originally?

Your new tires look SLICK! :thumbsup:

Yep, the ford rims have a little larger center hole, but they will fit fine. Be sure to get them off a 60's or early 70's truck as I believe the bolt patterns changed. Have you considered just going with a taller tire for the 15's? These are almost 32 inches tall and you can get that size with a 15 inch rim. Thanks man!

Charon
June 17th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Pep. You have 6 lug wheels. TJ has 8 lug. Put some 31-10.50 -15tires on yours Pep. Easy peasy. I just put some goodyears in that size on my 82 f150

FetchMeAPepsi
June 17th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Pep. You have 6 lug wheels. TJ has 8 lug. Put some 31-10.50 -15tires on yours Pep. Easy peasy. I just put some goodyears in that size on my 82 f150

Man I'm glad you're back. Those numbers don't even sound like a tire. Looked them up and boom, chunky piecrust tires with lots of MEAT. Thanks!

(sorry for the temp hijack TJ! :hijacked:)

TJ's GMC
June 17th, 2016, 03:55 PM
No biggie Fetch! I didn't take the time to think yours was a half ton when you said 15's! But yes, 31 inch tires are available...heck, I had 30's on my 66.

TJ's GMC
June 17th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Hi guys! Well I replace the front bumper today. Getting Crustine all prepped for the show on the 25th. Perrty excited!

TJ's GMC
June 21st, 2016, 03:19 PM
Hi guys! Picked up this clock from a member at a different forum. Unsure of weather it works or not, but it will be neat in the dash!

TJ's GMC
June 23rd, 2016, 05:24 AM
Hi guys! Well I fried the points on Crustine's engine. haha To much coil....Pertronix 45K coil with stock points....after about 1000 miles they were toast. haha SO, since I had the old pertronix unit sitting in a box that I had used on my old 292 I decided to see if it would fit the 305's dizzy. Sure enough, it fell right it almost to easy! Made for a nice little improvement! Idles smoother and even pulls a bit smoother. Moving up in the world! I'm pointless now! Though I do have two spare sets of points in the glove box just in case. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
June 26th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Well Crustine did really well at the show today. She won best under construction again! And here is a quick picture I took of my group. :thumbsup:

Funky61
June 26th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Congratulations and well done TJ!!

TJ's GMC
June 27th, 2016, 04:31 AM
Congratulations and well done TJ!!

Thanks man! It was a blast! :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
June 29th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Hi guys! Got the new to me clock installed this evening. :thumbsup:

Ed Snyder
June 29th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Hi guys! Got the new to me clock installed this evening. :thumbsup:

Does it work?

TJ's GMC
June 29th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Does it work?

Hi Ed, Don't know if it works or not. I'm going to hook up some power to it this evening and see if it does. It if doesn't a guy on another forum gave some tips on cleaning the insides.

jturk
June 30th, 2016, 12:25 PM
TJ,
Really like what you're doing with your truck. Also really like your gusto and enthusiasm when it comes to these great GMC's. Keep up the great work and look forward to your posts.

TJ's GMC
June 30th, 2016, 03:06 PM
TJ,
Really like what you're doing with your truck. Also really like your gusto and enthusiasm when it comes to these great GMC's. Keep up the great work and look forward to your posts.

Thanks man! I've always enjoyed unique and different. :thumbsup: I tend not to follow the crowd. haha

TJ's GMC
July 21st, 2016, 03:43 PM
My new MSD box showed up yesterday. Little spendy, but thought it would be interesting to try out. Will work well in the RPM range of these engines. Now I have to order new plug wires because this box does not work well with solid core plug wires. :pullinghairout: Oh well....guess they just try and get ya where ever they can!

bigblockv6
July 21st, 2016, 10:49 PM
So it looks like you'll have to use resistor wires, let me know how it works out. Wonder if it will work with the setup I got in my HEI? It's got an MSD coil and a MSD Digital Module with rev limiter:helpsign:

TJ's GMC
July 22nd, 2016, 02:25 AM
So it looks like you'll have to use resistor wires, let me know how it works out. Wonder if it will work with the setup I got in my HEI? It's got an MSD coil and a MSD Digital Module with rev limiter:helpsign:

Should work fine with yours. It is for points and hei setups. Gives several sparks instead of just one. Pretty cool. :thumbsup:

bigblockv6
July 22nd, 2016, 02:55 AM
That's what I heard, it actually fires the plugs even when they don't need to be fired!:thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
July 22nd, 2016, 05:31 AM
That's what I heard, it actually fires the plugs even when they don't need to be fired!:thumbsup:

And if not wired correctly....will allow the engine to stay running weather the key is on or off! :ahhhh: Got my "correct" plug wires in. Universals so I gotta cut to fit. Nice set though.

TJ's GMC
July 25th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Hi guys, wiring my MSD box in as I type. lol Did get all connections wired up and man she runs and is more responsive than before! Excited for a test run!

TJ's GMC
July 25th, 2016, 04:46 AM
Well I got the box loomed up and wired in. Works nicely! Have some retuning to do and I need to gap the plugs a bit wider, but the engine idles really smooth and it is Very responsive....2nd gear pulls so fast I can't shift fast enough! Will report again and get a video soon. I really don't like hammering on this engine as I am trying to make it last as long as possible. haha Main reason I do these mods is to see how efficient they are.

MSD box: $225(discounted). $249.95 without.

Plug wires: $46 MSD Street Fire 8.0 spiral core universals.

Time: 5 hours installing.

Worth it? Depends on how much you expect. I feel like it gets better throttle response, little better acceleration, starts better, and smoother idle. Also doesn't back fire when slowing down either. Like said, I am sure gapping the plugs a bit wider will help as they come around .035 to .040 and I could push .060 if I wanted to! I did check the spark from the coil to the valve cover.....and needless to say it left burn marks on the paint. haha Not much effort either.

bigblockv6
July 25th, 2016, 06:54 AM
If you want to go to .060 gap, that's something I just did recently on the plugs then get some HEI spec plugs. I found AC R44XLS6 PLUGS have the correct 3/4 reach and are within the heat range. These plugs are actually for a 90's GM 4 cylinder application:ok:

TJ's GMC
July 25th, 2016, 03:48 PM
If you want to go to .060 gap, that's something I just did recently on the plugs then get some HEI spec plugs. I found AC R44XLS6 PLUGS have the correct 3/4 reach and are within the heat range. These plugs are actually for a 90's GM 4 cylinder application:ok:

Cool! I'll look into a set! I have NGK's in it right now. Was gonna gap then at .045 or .050 and see how the engine responds. Have to clean out the spark plug galleys again cause they have pine needles! lol

TJ's GMC
July 31st, 2016, 05:14 AM
Well today we had a car show in Grants Pass which is about 36 miles from me. Crustine did great on the way up and through the day, but on the way back everything went hay wire. Bout half way home I lost power going up a grade. That I believe was due to vapor lock as the metal fuel filter was pretty hot. Was able to make it home by putting a cold wet rag on the filter. Then this evening I readjusted the timing to 6 degrees and took it for a short drive. She ran like normal. Come home and I hear water leaking. :pullinghairout: Now I have a stinkin water leak coming from the back or side of the block. Oh well...guess ya gotta pay to have fun. Hope it's not a fricken freeze plug cause the one on the back of the head is sure a pitb to get to. Crustine might be down for awhile. Can't keep up.

TJ's GMC
August 1st, 2016, 05:13 AM
Well guys, today I spent the whole darn day pulling the engine....****...in the time it took to pull this motor I had the cab, front clip, bed, and motor and tranny out of my 66! lol What a pita this was to pull. Didn't help that I had to separate the trans at all. Least with the bell housing design of the chevy 6 you can separate it from the engine without having to take the stinkin flywheel off! :pullinghairout: Well, motor is out. I am going to do a full reseal and install a new flywheel(If I can get one), clutch, and pressure plate. As you will see in the pictures they are toast. Also broke a motor mount so I will need one of them. Least the motor will look nice again. Gonna paint it up. Debating weather I should do the red or go detroit diesel green. Guess I could try both and see. lol

TJ's GMC
August 1st, 2016, 05:16 AM
2nd set of pictures. Nice chuck out of the clutch there. NOT my driving.

David R Leifheit
August 1st, 2016, 02:52 PM
Well guys, today I spent the whole darn day pulling the engine....****...in the time it took to pull this motor I had the cab, front clip, bed, and motor and tranny out of my 66! lol What a pita this was to pull.

And this is why when I pull the motor from one of my trucks, I remove the front clip. Once the front clip is gone... comes out easily.
Well, once you remember to remove the shifter off the transmission (if a toploader) it comes out and then goes back in relatively easy.

TJ's GMC
August 1st, 2016, 02:59 PM
And this is why when I pull the motor from one of my trucks, I remove the front clip. Once the front clip is gone... comes out easily.
Well, once you remember to remove the shifter off the transmission (if a toploader) it comes out and then goes back in relatively easy.

Reason my 292 was easy was because I could separate the bell housing from the block without having to take the stinkin flywheel and pressure plate off. lol Once I got the trans separated the engine pulled out with ease. Heavy beast, but it came out. Going back in will be another story.

TJ's GMC
August 2nd, 2016, 07:34 AM
Well it is Monday the 1st and the time is 11:28 PM. After 8 hours of work I came home and started straight into tearing this engine down. And didn't stop until 11 pm. What a stinkin pain. Ending up that I have to pull the crank shaft out so I can replace the rear main seal. Which has revealed to me the rod and main bearings. Ugh. For a fairly low mileage engine...they suck. But the sucker didn't knock so they are gonna stay and go right back where they came from. Crank is sure a beast. That'll be fun lifting out...all on account of a stupid rear main seal. :pullinghairout: Darn thing better not leak a drop of nothing after all this work. Should look nice at least. I'm exhausted....had a 14 hour day. lol Glad I have the day off of work tomorrow.

TJ's GMC
August 3rd, 2016, 03:25 AM
Got busy on it again today. Removed the crank and ripped out the old rear main. Now I am waiting on my gasket set, rod and main bearings(they need replace), and a new timing chain. Clutch kit should be here Wednesday. Also have a new oil pump on order as well. Got to work on cleaning the engine up and I painted the oil pan and motor mounts.

TJ's GMC
August 3rd, 2016, 03:29 AM
Crankshaft weighs a Ton! And these are the largest main caps I have seen yet. Sheesh!

kchampagne
August 3rd, 2016, 03:36 AM
Looking good TJ!

bigblockv6
August 3rd, 2016, 04:18 AM
Good idea, while it's apart to change the bearings. Got to see some pics when you're done of that Alpine Green look:thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
August 3rd, 2016, 05:33 AM
Looking good TJ!
Thanks man!
Good idea, while it's apart to change the bearings. Got to see some pics when you're done of that Alpine Green look:thumbsup:

Thanks! I am painting whatever I tend to pick up and clean. haha Stuff has 50 years worth of grease and crap build up so the cleaning process is slow for sure. Hoping to deal with the water pump housing Wednesday and get that painted. Might do the fan and water pump pulley as well. Mains won't be here until Tuesday of next week so I have some time....unfortunately. haha More pics will be on for sure.

bigblockv6
August 3rd, 2016, 05:48 AM
Well it looks like you had no problem finding gaskets and bearings:upyes:

TJ's GMC
August 3rd, 2016, 03:12 PM
Well it looks like you had no problem finding gaskets and bearings:upyes:

I know the rods and mains should be correct. I was lucky to find an old set of replacement mains. We'll see if the gasket set is right. haha May have to go somewhere else for that to. Hopefully not as I really wanna get this over with.

TJ's GMC
August 6th, 2016, 05:44 AM
Slowly but surely getting more and more parts painted. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
August 6th, 2016, 05:46 AM
Got some new parts in yesterday as well. Timing set which included the gears a chain. :upyes: Rod bearings, oil pump, and gasket set(not pictured). Still having a hard time getting a clutch kit, but I'll find one somewhere.

TJ's GMC
August 9th, 2016, 02:08 AM
Block is painted! :upyes: And much more!

TJ's GMC
August 9th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Motor mounts should be here tomorrow as well as a can of vht high temp exhaust manifold cast iron gray paint.

bigblockv6
August 9th, 2016, 02:49 AM
The Alpine Green looks good, did you use Duplicolor? Did you know that GMC actually painted the exhaust manifolds in yellow:teehee:

TJ's GMC
August 9th, 2016, 06:33 AM
The Alpine Green looks good, did you use Duplicolor? Did you know that GMC actually painted the exhaust manifolds in yellow:teehee:

Thanks! Yes I have been using Dupli color engine paint and their primer. Even had to use the engine clear as well. haha Bought out Napa's supply of Green and Primer! I am using the Krylon rust tough black for all the pulleys, motor mounts, and other misc parts. And I am using chrome paint for some of the bolts. Then I will use the VHT cast iron paint for the manifolds. No yellow for me! Yuck! :lolsmack2:

Did get the new bearings slid in and oiled down with lucas. Torqued the main caps to 135 ft pounds and the rods to 60 ft pounds. Pictures in the morning as it is 10:32 PM and I am tuckered.

TJ's GMC
August 18th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Well guys, this update is over due. Last week I got the block and other stuff painted up. And during the weekend I came down with some crazy virus that almost knocked me off my feet and left me in bed for 3 days. But 2 of those I fought it and work on this thing. All day saturday and Sunday dad and I and a friend work on this. Finally the motor and tranny are in and hooked up....minus the clutch fork which I believe I found a way to get it in without yarding the whole system out(don't ask how). So here are the latest pictures. Will get more soon.

TJ's GMC
August 18th, 2016, 05:28 AM
More....

TJ's GMC
August 22nd, 2016, 05:32 AM
IT'S ALIVE FOLKS!!!!!! Video soon! :upyes:

6066gmcguy
August 22nd, 2016, 02:26 PM
Lookin' Good there TJ

TJ's GMC
August 22nd, 2016, 03:44 PM
Lookin' Good there TJ

Thanks Jolly!!! I will be painting that red bracket green very soon! haha! Tonight after work I'll be getting water hooked up and adjusting the valves and we should be back on the road in a few days! :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
August 23rd, 2016, 03:56 PM
Wooohooo! She runs!!!!!!!!

Funky61
August 23rd, 2016, 06:49 PM
Congratulations TJ and again; another awesome video! Thanks for showing the flywheel issue and area you mentioned in your thread.

kchampagne
August 23rd, 2016, 08:22 PM
TJ,

Looks and sounds awesome! Digging the green. Great work!!

TJ's GMC
August 23rd, 2016, 10:41 PM
Congratulations TJ and again; another awesome video! Thanks for showing the flywheel issue and area you mentioned in your thread.

TJ,

Looks and sounds awesome! Digging the green. Great work!!

Thanks guys! Will post this video in the other thread I posted in as well so the folks there can see it. :ok:

TJ's GMC
August 26th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Hi guys! Here is the motor all done! Been driving it and I still have clutch issues to work out, but so far so good.

TJ's GMC
November 16th, 2016, 05:05 AM
Now the month of November and all is good thus far. Last weekend I took Crustine to the shop and drained out the Liquid in the rear end and refilled with Lucas and 75-90. Also did a quick underneath inspection and so far all is OK. Do need a carrier bearing still. lol But it's holding up well enough for the distances I drive. I will say I love hearing that flowmaster tone in a canyon....thing just echos and brings a big smile to my face....even if in 3rd I am only doing 30 MPH. lol! What a good ol truck. She will almost break loose the tires by lead footing, but a good clutch drop with the rpm at 2700 does it in 2nd no problem. lol While it was raining yesterday I took a corner hard at it in 2nd and the tires broke loose. lol Fun fun. But I have to always remind myself I need this motor to last so I pamper it a lot. But gotta blow some carbon out once in awhile right! Later gents.

jturk
November 16th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Looking really good TJ, keep the shiny er rusty side up and have fun.

TJ's GMC
November 16th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Looking really good TJ, keep the shiny er rusty side up and have fun.

haha Thanks man. She'll be shiny one of these days. :thumbsup:

bobdylan
November 17th, 2016, 02:09 PM
I was looking at your engine picture, looks good in green. I am curious about the oil breather cap. I thought the 305E would be a sealed cap. When I first bought mine it had the wrong cap, and had oil all over the engine.

TJ's GMC
November 17th, 2016, 03:29 PM
I was looking at your engine picture, looks good in green. I am curious about the oil breather cap. I thought the 305E would be a sealed cap. When I first bought mine it had the wrong cap, and had oil all over the engine.

Thanks! You are correct, that breather cap is off my 292. This motor used to have two sealed caps. One with a hose hooked to the air cleaner for PCV. I gave that system to a friend for his 305 when I converted to the 4 barrel and took this breather off one of my spare 292 engines. It does spit some oil after traveling high speeds...as in 50 where the RPM's are up. But with the little bit of daily driving I do it seems ok thus far. I will eventually drill a hole in the bottom of the Air cleaner and hook a PCV system back up.

bobdylan
November 17th, 2016, 05:46 PM
If this is a 305e it should not have a pvc valve. Should be closed caps. The crank case takes air in though the breather at the back of block and vents through check valves in cylinder.

TJ's GMC
November 17th, 2016, 06:14 PM
If this is a 305e it should not have a pvc valve. Should be closed caps. The crank case takes air in though the breather at the back of block and vents through check valves in cylinder.

It's a 67 305E. The crank case breather port is plugged by a Casting Plug. On Page 1 Post 3 of this build you can see a pic of the stock setup somewhat. The air cleaner has a hose that hooked to the valve cover via a cap with a hose port.

Ed Snyder
November 17th, 2016, 06:26 PM

Through its years of production, the hole behind the left cylinder head of the V6 transitioned from a road draft tube to a filter canister to a casting plug. You're describing the "middle aged" V6.

bobdylan
November 17th, 2016, 06:26 PM
That all makes sense, Thanks for clearing that up. Not trying to be critical, just curious.