PDA

View Full Version : Horn button hardware...

surfamtn
October 8th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Hey all, I just found a round cast GMC horn button for my '66. I believe it is the right model for my truck, but that is based on taking the word of the eBay seller that posted it.
It came with the rubber seal on the back.
My column has a horn bushing tab that activates the horn when I touch it with a wire or what ever that also touches the center bolt it the wheel. So... The horn works.
Problem is that I can't find any mounting hardware for the '66. I feel like I need a spring of some sort, likely a clip mechanism and of course some bolts to hold it on. When I set the button on the wheel, it seems a bit smaller diameter than the hole in the steering wheel.

I can find several retailers with earlier and later model mounting kits, the 67-72 one looks to be the right kinda setup (based on looking at interweb photos) but Brothers told me it wouldn't fit.

Any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funky61
October 9th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Surfamtn, would you post a photo so we can see what you have going on.

Texas63GMC
October 9th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I am having the same problem. I'd like to know if the GMC horn button works the same as the chevy horn in this site.... http://www.64moneypit.pages.qpg.com/6066chevytrucks/id108.html
my horn didn't have the plastic insulator disc/spacer between the horn ring and disc. It probably had it at one time. These parts are available

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_058.html

surfamtn
October 9th, 2015, 04:11 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/09/664cf41614db19e90464b3cf2aebc3fa.jpg

Here's what I have.

If I bridge from the wheel but to the little brass tab the horn sounds. But that's a little awkward to do in traffic.

Funky61
October 9th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Here's what I had in my 61. The plastic ring is broken but the horn did work.
I do not have the button like yours. Looks like your missing a cup.

Funky61
October 9th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Looks like Texas has the answer; Great link!

surfamtn
October 9th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Yea... I suspected there was a cup that bolted to the wheel. Now where can I find it?
The typical online retailers, LMC, brothers, classic parts, have kits for 67-72 and pre-60 but nobody has 60-66.

surfamtn
October 9th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Doh.... Just opened the link.

Thanks tex!!!

LEWISMATKIN
October 15th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Surfamtn, this is Lewis Matkin. You are missing all the parts that make the horn work. (1) the metal cup that the horn button snaps in, (2) the plastic ring insulator/retainer that holds the cup in the wheel, (3) the 3 phillips head machine screws that anchor the plastic ring into the wheel pocket, and (4) the cone-shaped metal spring which also acts as the contact plate between the carbon contact in the wheel and the metal cup. Most of the needed parts from the 67-72 model GM trucks will work in your truck. I hope this is helpful in getting the required parts you need.

Cordially,
Lewis Ellis Matkin,Jr.
Ridge Manor, Fla.
1965 1002 305E V6

Funky61
October 16th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Lewis Matkin is back! Welcome back

Texas63GMC
October 26th, 2015, 04:24 PM
I'm confused. I think I understand that the horn grounds out to the steering shaft. And that the metal cup touches both the copper contact that goes thru the steering wheel and the steering shaft, nut or washer when the horn button is pushed....Is that right? so the metal cup tilts to touch both?

Funky61
November 7th, 2015, 03:17 AM
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151869594651

jagarra
November 7th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Yes, the cup tilts to touch ground. Think of the wire being hot or having voltage on it, when the button is depressed the cup will touch the side of ground completing a circuit to the relay which in turn honks the horn.

jbgroby
December 21st, 2015, 08:54 PM
Let me add a few cents here. I literally just installed everything for my horn as well this past weekend. The problem is that no matter which way I mount the "cup" the GMC horn lettering is NOT horizontally straight or close to being so. being an O/C sort of person this may tend to make me a little crazy.

Any idea as to why?

jbgroby
December 21st, 2015, 09:04 PM
ALSO would anyone know what the small hole in the dash could have been used for? Any factory options you can think of?

Texas63GMC
December 21st, 2015, 11:12 PM
Jake, on mine the horn button has a rubber ring that is a press fit into the "cup". I can rotate my button on the ring. (the rubber ring and cup have a notch cut that mate, but the horn button can be turned)
no idea about the hole in the dash. I have the one shown in your photo, one larger (say 3/4") to the right and two larger by the glove box. All three are plugged off. I assume they were for some option. Maybe PTO cable, dump bed?

Ed Snyder
December 21st, 2015, 11:29 PM
ALSO would anyone know what the small hole in the dash could have been used for? Any factory options you can think of?

You may be talking about the hole for the optional hand throttle (aka "poor man's cruise control"). My one ton Suburban has one. It's just like the choke cable, but the knob has a "T" on it.

jagarra
December 22nd, 2015, 12:15 AM
When I installed the Holley on my truck I had to move the choke to that location so it would reach. I figured it was used for an optional throttle cable as previously mentioned.
I installed the intermittent wiper switch in the old location for the choke, so everything was filled up. Both wipers switches were now next to each other.

jbgroby
December 22nd, 2015, 03:46 AM
Ok, it probaly was a throttle. I'll plug it with a chrome button. I did not think to twist the horn button, I figured the groove slot would not let me, I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks

jbgroby
December 22nd, 2015, 06:26 PM
UPDATE: I took a look last night and I figured I could drill out the hole correctly to be used as the GMC Flasher option location. (I have free space behind the panel). This will look better than under the dash mount. (I'll have a spare if anyone needs the mount)

bigblockv6
December 22nd, 2015, 07:26 PM
Jake, that's an excellent idea if you're not using a throttle cable. The flasher switch placement is ideal for that location.:thumbsup:

jbgroby
December 30th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Hey, I tried the twist on the horn button and it worked perfectly! Cant see the forest for the trees sometimes.