PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 shift boot

Texas63GMC
November 13th, 2015, 06:00 PM
anyone have photos or remember what kind of shift boot went over the 4x4 shift lever in the cab of these trucks? Also, I don't think the 4 speed sift lever had a boot. Is that correct? Was there ever a 4x4 shift pattern label or decal in the cab? Several reproduction decals are available with the correct shift pattern, but I don't know if they were in the GMC trucks.

bigblockv6
November 13th, 2015, 06:13 PM
My fathers 62 K1000 did not come with the boot on 4 speed shifter, the 4wd shifter pattern was mounted on the inside of the roof just in the same area where the rear view mirror goes. I may be able to post a pic of that diagram because my 68 has the same one as the 62. As far as the 4wd shifter boot the 68 also came with basically the same one used on 60-66 trucks except the hole was bigger since the 67-69 shifter was larger in diameter, reproductions of this one are available and can most likely can be retrofitted with a sleeve to fit the 60-66 shifter.

FetchMeAPepsi
November 13th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Oooo, I can help with this one! No one makes a direct replacement for early 60's trucks. I looked all over for it. The classic truck guys said the closest one is for the 67's if I remember right. This is the one I ordered and it bolted up pretty good. Takes a few summer weeks to heat up and lay down nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Gasket-1651-Shifter-Boot-Small-Round-Black-Rubber-5-500-Round-Plate-Ea-/391152818332?rmvSB=true

Edit: Bah, BBV6 beat me to it. I guess it was 68, not 67. :)

bigblockv6
November 14th, 2015, 02:31 AM
Oooo, I can help with this one! No one makes a direct replacement for early 60's trucks. I looked all over for it. The classic truck guys said the closest one is for the 67's if I remember right. This is the one I ordered and it bolted up pretty good. Takes a few summer weeks to heat up and lay down nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Gasket-1651-Shifter-Boot-Small-Round-Black-Rubber-5-500-Round-Plate-Ea-/391152818332?rmvSB=true

Edit: Bah, BBV6 beat me to it. I guess it was 68, not 67. :)

67-69 boots were the same!:lolsmack2:

bigblockv6
November 14th, 2015, 02:37 AM
This is a pic of the correct shift pattern label that was attached on the inside roof on 60-69 4wd trucks.:ok:

Texas63GMC
November 14th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the responses. BBV6 would the label be on the drivers side of the rear view mirror?

bigblockv6
November 14th, 2015, 07:09 PM
It's right in the center, My father's 62 did not come with the rear view mirror from the factory like many GMC trucks of that era. When the dealer installed the mirror it actually covered up the very bottom portion of the label. My 68 also did not come with the rear view mirror but the label was attached further up on the roof to clear the section if a mirror would be installed.
:thumbsup:

Texas63GMC
November 14th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Fetch, is the boot at post#485 of your build thread the 67ish ones or the Mr. Gasket boot you mentioned? Looks good and thanks!

FetchMeAPepsi
November 15th, 2015, 12:06 AM
Fetch, is the boot at post#485 of your build thread the 67ish ones or the Mr. Gasket boot you mentioned? Looks good and thanks!

that's it! The 67ish one is the Mr Gasket one. They're the same thing. Nice sleuthing!

bigblockv6
November 29th, 2015, 04:16 PM
The Mr. Gasket shift boot is an aftermarket replacement boot but it doesn't come close to be right configuration. I just bought this one on ebay that would be more period correct that is an exact reproduction for 67-72 trucks, it will also work with 60-66 trucks the only difference is the hole for the shifter is a larger diameter so a sleeve to fill in the gap would be necessary. :ok:

FetchMeAPepsi
December 1st, 2015, 05:29 PM
The Mr. Gasket shift boot is an aftermarket replacement boot but it doesn't come close to be right configuration. I just bought this one on ebay that would be more period correct that is an exact reproduction for 67-72 trucks, it will also work with 60-66 trucks the only difference is the hole for the shifter is a larger diameter so a sleeve to fill in the gap would be necessary. :ok:

I got my info from ClassicParts who uses the MrGasket version as when you slip the boot over the shaft then pull up on it to invert the rubber surrounding the shifter shaft it looks the same.

You should post a link to your boot so people can buy it though.

bigblockv6
December 1st, 2015, 10:37 PM
I got my 4wd shifter booth from American Classic truck parts. Other vendors also carry this reproduction style boot like The Truck Shop.