PDA

View Full Version : 1962 gmc

Quigley
December 25th, 2015, 07:59 PM
:helpsign: I have a 1966 C-1000 that I did a frame off on and kind of know the ins and out of it. I am have a chance to buy a decent 1962. My question is and I know there are a lot of differences in a 62 and a 66. Is there any real bad drawbacks in the 62 compared to the 66. :signthankspin: Dave

bigblockv6
December 25th, 2015, 08:07 PM
For 2wd models the 66 would have better suspension over the 62, 66 rear leafs vs 62 rear coils and swing arms. Also 62 had front torsion bar independent suspension vs the 66 coil spring independent suspension.

Quigley
December 25th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks BigBlock. Are the suspension differences major stumbling blocks or are they minor problems? I do not want to start another major project with large, hard to overcome problems. Thanks, Dave

bigblockv6
December 25th, 2015, 08:38 PM
What are your plans with the 62? Are you considering swapping the 62 components to the 66?

Quigley
December 25th, 2015, 09:00 PM
My 66 is almost a show truck and I am very fussy with it and create a lot of work every time I drive it. The 62 is nice but more usable and I would drive it more in warm weather. Probably use the 62 as a short driver, something to take my dogs to the pond in without fear of scratching it Thanks, Dave

Quigley
December 31st, 2015, 04:28 PM
What are your plans with the 62? Are you considering swapping the 62 components to the 66?

No.

FetchMeAPepsi
December 31st, 2015, 05:26 PM
UGHHHH! I had this big reply typed out and now it's gone. Stupid ice storms!!!

:pullinghairout:

A couple of things I remember saying:

Unfortunately I don't know anything about 66's so I can't say what's rare on both, but....

There's a brass bushing at the front axles that is hard to find. I found mine at quad4x4.com after much searching when I rebuilt my front axles.

The turn signal lever and horn button can be hard to find for 62 models but if you're just going to work her you might not care if it's year specific. They make generic ones. :)

Also they don't make the curved windshields in clear anymore that I know of. All the ones now are made in mexico and have the bluish tint to them.

But the curved windshield is way cooler than anything else so it's worth it to get the 62 if you can. God intended two things to be curvy, and they both start with "W". Women and Windshields! :teehee:

One more thing, the 62 is a "knee knocker" design so watch your knees. 10000% better looking than newer models, but you may end up with bruised knees gettin in and out if you're a big-ol' boy!

Other than that I can't think of anything else. Welcome to the '62 world! It's a fun ride!

:welcome: