PDA

View Full Version : Dad's pickup

DeltaRed
January 18th, 2016, 04:15 PM
I still own Dad's '66 . He purchaced it new in ElDorado,KS.It was the only vehicle he ever bought BRAND NEW. I remember us driveing the old '51 Chevy to town and driveing the new 'Jimmy' homeI was 10 years old..Dad special ordered it as a heave duty model.He was farming,and hauled his grain to town with.Dad ordered it with a 250 inline 6. It was shortlived,only lasted 80,000 miles. So he bought a used 305 from a wrecked pickup.He and my then 15 year old sister did the swap.It has an oversize clutch,oversize radiator,heavy springs,posi trac rearend,7.50x16 HD tires,4.56 rear end gears......The 'Jimmy' now has only about 120,000 miles and is semi retired. Dad owned several newer pickups,but always kept his Jimmy'.The 'Jimmy' is now kind of a family institution.

Clyde
January 18th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Neat story, I hope you keep it forever.

FetchMeAPepsi
January 18th, 2016, 04:55 PM
I cant quite make out the pictures on this thread. Maybe theyre too small?
Good to hear you kept your dad's Jimmy. Oh and :welcome: to the club!

GMCDAC
January 18th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Welcome from western South Dakota! I can relate with "family institution" GMC's! We are looking forward to pictures of this family member! Great story thanks for sharing.

DAC

TJ's GMC
January 19th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Welcome and good write up! Hope the truck stays in the family. Pictures would be cool!

Ed Snyder
January 19th, 2016, 05:42 PM
I still own Dad's '66 . He purchaced it new in ElDorado,KS.It was the only vehicle he ever bought BRAND NEW. I remember us driveing the old '51 Chevy to town and driveing the new 'Jimmy' homeI was 10 years old..Dad special ordered it as a heave duty model.He was farming,and hauled his grain to town with.Dad ordered it with a 250 inline 6. It was shortlived,only lasted 80,000 miles. So he bought a used 305 from a wrecked pickup.He and my then 15 year old sister did the swap.It has an oversize clutch,oversize radiator,heavy springs,posi trac rearend,7.50x16 HD tires,4.56 rear end gears......The 'Jimmy' now has only about 120,000 miles and is semi retired. Dad owned several newer pickups,but always kept his Jimmy'.The 'Jimmy' is now kind of a family institution.

Mine is a similar story, Red. My Dad bought the one ton Suburban new in Wichita, KS, in 1965. He gave it to me in the summer of 2014. Since El Dorado is a smaller town (12,000 people) only about 35 miles from Wichita (350,000 people), I'm wondering if El Dorado actually had a GMC dealership back then, or if your Dad bought it at Sauder-Lygrisse, the GMC dealership in Wichita where my Dad bought his.

You can read about the one ton Suburban here:
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48275

DeltaRed
January 22nd, 2016, 05:39 AM
Dad bought the 'Jimmy' at Nofsinger Motors in ElDorado. I think they are now out of business

Clarke
January 25th, 2016, 03:22 AM
Dad bought the 'Jimmy' at Nofsinger Motors in ElDorado. I think they are now out of business

I remember that car lot. I live just a few miles from El Dorado.