PDA

View Full Version : Engine stand v12

bobdylan
January 20th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Have any of you ever built a rotating engine stand for v12, looking for ideas. Thanks. Bob

atomman
January 20th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Use heavy 1/4 steel, that's for sure.

TJ's GMC
January 20th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Haven't built one but I would say you'd need mounts on front and rear of the engine for sure! lol And 10 grade bolts!

AZKen
January 20th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Well maybe a rotisserie (like for a car body) using two engine stands or I've seen octagon "wheels" on both ends so as to roll it on the ground 8 different orientations. (no moving parts that way).... or use two tractor tires. As TJ says, I am assuming it needs supported on both ends.

AZKen
January 20th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Haven't thought this out that much but the thoughts may spark an idea. Anyway back to the big tractor wheels. The V12 would be the "axle" and possibly you could utilize the tractor brakes to lock the "axle" so as to either just wheel it around the yard in upright position or in lock/brake mode the "axle" would also rotate to reach a certain part of motor when tires rotated...or some manner of locking/unlocking. Bigger the tire, easier the roll. Especially using a "Y" hitch, hitched to a truck or ATV or whatever to pull it around or to rotate for servicing motor.
I have seen jet and propeller aircraft engine stands on military online auctions. Maybe you can find one or at least google them and copy the design.
Google body rotisserie and then hit "images" at top and you will see dozens of ideas. Google VW body rotisserie to see the octagon/multi sided type.

bobdylan
January 20th, 2016, 07:34 PM
I like the military surplus ideam The guys that have the v12 tractors to haul minute man missles have a lot of stuff, I will be going when the weather warms up, The car rotisery would probably work, I built one once for 70 cuda, it was like to big engine stands.