PDA

View Full Version : GMC Camper Liner

Clarke
January 23rd, 2016, 10:10 PM
I'm on a yo-yo trip here in Missouri this weekend and I saw this GMC from the highway. I turned around and went back and snuck a few pictures. The firewall was marked with 1962 however the hood had Amber turn signal lenses. The interior had many boxes of some type of pantyhose packages. Not sure if either one is for sale? LOL.

I remember seeing some camper threads on here a few months ago but I don't remember if any of them were related to the Camper Liner? Anyone have experience with these?

Clarke
January 23rd, 2016, 10:13 PM
Front

Clarke
January 23rd, 2016, 10:15 PM
Passenger side

Clarke
January 23rd, 2016, 10:16 PM
Driver side

Clarke
January 23rd, 2016, 10:18 PM
The important part

bigblockv6
January 23rd, 2016, 10:49 PM
I'm on a yo-yo trip here in Missouri this weekend and I saw this GMC from the highway. I turned around and went back and snuck a few pictures. The firewall was marked with 1962 however the hood had Amber turn signal lenses. The interior had many boxes of some type of pantyhose packages. Not sure if either one is for sale? LOL.

I remember seeing some camper threads on here a few months ago but I don't remember if any of them were related to the Camper Liner? Anyone have experience with these?

The truck can be a 63 model built in the fall of 62, so the marking on the firewall just may indicate it was built in 1962.:thumbsup:

David R Leifheit
January 23rd, 2016, 11:17 PM
The truck can be a 63 model built in the fall of 62, so the marking on the firewall just may indicate it was built in 1962.:thumbsup:

Even if built in the fall of 1962, a 63 model should still have had the clear lenses. I thought it was about halfway through the '63 model year before they changed. My '63 2500 has the clear lenses. But it looks like the '63 4000 has the amber ones.
I am not sure when either of mine were built, off the top of my head.

David R Leifheit
January 23rd, 2016, 11:23 PM
Looking at the pictures, it should be either a 1964 or 1965 2500 based on the cab, grill, and wheels.

Too bad they bent the heck out of the upper radiator mount. Factory power brakes is nice, and power steering. This was a real deluxe truck.
My '65 had power brakes, but used the auxiliary cylinder rather than the integrated one.

bigblockv6
January 23rd, 2016, 11:30 PM
Looking at the pictures, it should be either a 1964 or 1965 2500 based on the cab, grill, and wheels.

Too bad they bent the heck out of the upper radiator mount. Factory power brakes is nice, and power steering. This was a real deluxe truck.
My '65 had power brakes, but used the auxiliary cylinder rather than the integrated one.

:You're right it would be at least a 64 or 65 based on the cab alone:upyes: The 62 must have been a code for something else.

GMCNUT
January 24th, 2016, 10:04 AM
In the thousands of documents and pictures I either own or I've seen all the 6066 guys post I've personally never seen nor heard of a "Camper Liner" nor ever seen any emblems like this on a truck - very interesting to see if anyone else pipes up with any info on what these fender emblems really mean aside from the obvious - its got a camper on it - wondering if there was an option package associated with it, etc....

GMCNUT
January 24th, 2016, 10:06 AM
If you go back, check and see if the dealer add-on AC unit is still under the dash too....someone removed the engine brackets and compressor but the hoses are still present going through the firewall for AC

Clarke
January 25th, 2016, 03:13 AM
If you go back, check and see if the dealer add-on AC unit is still under the dash too....someone removed the engine brackets and compressor but the hoses are still present going through the firewall for AC

I was going to take a picture of the interior but it was packed full of old split boxes of pantyhose. I could barley see the instrument panel; only enough to see that there were no additional gauges added.

I was surprised to see the emblem too (that's why I took the photo), but I don't know near as much about these trucks as you guys do.

I was going to talk to the owner, but no one was there. There were several bumper pull campers in rough shape and an old school bus. I get that way a couple times a year; I might stop again sometime.

The frame was almost sitting on the ground. I believe it had four wheels on the rear axle. It's been sitting there for many years.

You guys have any idea if that's a 305 or 351?

bigblockv6
January 25th, 2016, 03:29 AM
It's a 305, the 351 became available in pickup trucks in 1966 and this truck appears to be either a 64 or 65. It has the smaller ww carb and smaller exhaust manifolds, both tell tale signs of a 305 engine,

GMCDAC
January 26th, 2016, 01:00 AM
That is an interesting find David! I dig old campers and motorhomes. I would think that Camper Liner was a small company that bought cab/chassis and built campers on them. They probably had made up their own fender badging. It's too bad it got neglected so badly. I would be willing to bet the upper radiator mount is bent because someone stole the radiator to sell as scrap. I did google Camper Liner with no substantial hits but did find what has to be the largest chassis mount cabover camper! We own what has to be the largest slide in cabover camper so big ones catch my eye. Here's that GMC for laffs!

Say hi to Carla for us!

DAC

Edit--Oh yeah---boxes of panty hose??? Are you kidding me??--LOL!

Clarke
January 27th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Hello Doug... The size of that camper is crazy. Although, I bet it would be comfortable. Thanks for sharing.

If your assumptions are correct about Camper Liner, I'm impressed with the overall package. Especially, with the vendor badges. Very professional looking, including the placement.

Yes, boxes and boxes of pantyhose. If you're interested, I could try to negotiate a deal for you. ;)