PDA

View Full Version : 1000 vs 1500

gizmoduck99
January 25th, 2016, 11:52 PM
Hey everyone! New to the forums. I've been wanting a 63 GMC for about 20 years (dad had one) and found one close to me but it's a 1500. Is there any reason to not buy a 1500 and hold out for a 1000? So far all I can find in major differences is suspension related. Would I be able to use the 1/2 ton drum to disc conversion kit?

If it indeed does run and doesn't have any major rust issues I'd just want to do the brake conversion and then slowly do the rest later (just a restoration and maybe new engine/trans). I just don't want to buy it and then realize later I should have held out for the 1/2 ton because of some hard-to-find part or major headache from needing to customize something.

Attached is a pic of the truck. Guy is asking $3600 and says it has a running 350, automatic. Claims there's just some rust in the usual places on the doors. Also needs new wood in the bed, but that's easy.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

TJ's GMC
January 29th, 2016, 05:20 AM
I'd find a GMC with a GMC motor. 350 is to common and should be saved for Chevys. Probably had a fine running V6 in it at one point and that was scrapped for a small block.

Foley
February 1st, 2016, 05:12 AM
Welcome to the forum Seattle. Since you're asking the questions. Here is my answer. Hold out for exactly what you want, exactly what Dad had, and just keep looking. 1000, 1500? Wide side, step side? Manual, automatic?

Foley,
Greenwood, CA