View Full Version : V 12 bone yard

bobdylan
February 21st, 2016, 03:29 AM
Some pictures from v12 grave yard on a large farm. 4206

George Bongert
February 21st, 2016, 06:29 AM
Some pictures from v12 grave yard on a large farm. 4206

Greetings bobdylan!

After seeing these pictures, I don't know if I should be shocked, or if I should cry! What a waste of rare vintage engines! The worst part is that many of these engines, if not all of them are beyond restoration! God what a shame!

bobdylan
February 21st, 2016, 02:35 PM
Four engines I tried turned over. Most of the engines were in working order when taken out of service. Several of the blocks that do not have heads have ..030 and.040 over high compression pistons. Bob

TJ's GMC
February 21st, 2016, 04:00 PM
That sucks. Big rare engines like those should have been taken care of and at Least put under a dang roof.

bozzhogg
February 21st, 2016, 07:17 PM
Man were is this at and what is their phone number??? Ross. Hodges Durham, NC with '66 GMC with '12 flat bed.

David R Leifheit
February 21st, 2016, 08:41 PM
Four engines I tried turned over. Most of the engines were in working order when taken out of service. Several of the blocks that do not have heads have ..030 and.040 over high compression pistons. Bob

The ones without heads should be complete junk, which means the piston size isn't important. Those pistons are, or should be, rusted to the block. Getting them out will be "fun".

I'm actually surprised you could get any of them to turn over. Without some protection, every one of them should have at least two cylinders with pistons rusted into them. I have several 305s under cover, and have most of them stuck now (turned when stored). Motors which ran when pulled.

bobdylan
February 22nd, 2016, 12:41 AM
The engines came from a very dry climate, the cylinders that were in the open are really not pitted, I have seen engines that have heads on that get a little water and can not dry out look much worse, In will start soaking with ATF and deisel. Time will tell

bobdylan
February 22nd, 2016, 12:53 AM
For those asking for the location and phone number. The bone yard is being relocated to my place.I moved 8 engines and lots of parts, will take two more trips, I can only about 6 tons at a time. Bob

Nate
February 22nd, 2016, 01:12 AM
It's great that you were able to purchase these and save them from being sold as junk.
I buy any GMC BBv6 I come across around here, so far I have 2 305's plus the 1 in the truck I am working on now, the 2 305's that I have are stuck and I use them for donor parts.

George Bongert
February 22nd, 2016, 01:54 AM
The ones without heads should be complete junk, which means the piston size isn't important. Those pistons are, or should be, rusted to the block. Getting them out will be "fun".

I'm actually surprised you could get any of them to turn over. Without some protection, every one of them should have at least two cylinders with pistons rusted into them. I have several 305s under cover, and have most of them stuck now (turned when stored). Motors which ran when pulled.

Greetings David!

You bring up a very valid point here, and that is even if any given engine is under cover, they can still "seize up" over time, mostly due to temperature/weather changes and condensation collecting on, and in the engine. Despite those engines being in a dry climate, being exposed to outdoor weather conditions certainly did not do them any good. In viewing those pictures, I did notice that the engines without heads had rust in the cylinders, and it has been my experience that cylinders with that amount of rust that the engine is already seized and will not turn over, and upon disassembly (which is the "fun" part that you eluded to,) the rust in the cylinders cannot be "cleaned up" by simply honing them, they have to be rebored. Still, I applaud bobdylans effort to save these engines from being scrapped and trying to salvage them.

bobdylan
February 22nd, 2016, 02:51 AM
George.My hope is to get the over sized pistons out and use them in some blocks that have not been over sized we will see. I have had some luck after soaking removing them thru the bottom, I use an air chisel with some thing resting on the piston and vibrate them out. George I see you are from Wisconsin. I lived in Mercer Wisc. and also Cedarburg Wisc. Bob

TJ's GMC
February 22nd, 2016, 03:31 AM
Glad you were able to get them, hopefully you'll be able to free a couple of them up.

George Bongert
February 22nd, 2016, 05:24 AM
George.My hope is to get the over sized pistons out and use them in some blocks that have not been over sized we will see. I have had some luck after soaking removing them thru the bottom, I use an air chisel with some thing resting on the piston and vibrate them out. George I see you are from Wisconsin. I lived in Mercer Wisc. and also Cedarburg Wisc. Bob

Greetings Bob!

Yeah, I have lived in Wisconsin all of my life. Good luck with those engines. Sure would have been a shame for them to go for scrap iron.

GMCDAC
February 23rd, 2016, 03:25 AM
Great that you saved them Bob, even if a small portion of the parts or assemblies will be useable! Do you or anyone have a picture of one of these beauties while in-service on an irrigation system? I for one would find that extremely interesting.

DAC

GMCNUT
February 23rd, 2016, 07:17 PM
Wow....how amazing. I wonder how many of these you can make whole again and then make run.....would be cool to take one of these engines on a trailer behind a V6 equipped GMC truck to car shows in the summer and crank it in front of the crowd....

bobdylan
February 23rd, 2016, 07:22 PM
That is my plan, I have a 64 Gmc suburban 305 4speed I want to pull it with. I also want to have a crosley 4cyl. next to the 702 ,To show some contrast. Bob

lizziemeister'sV6
February 24th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Could stage the little Crosley 4 cylinder motor as a pony engine to the V-12 for starting - like the old John Deere 2 cylinder and Cat 6 cylinder diesels - that way you could show that - "size does matter" :upyes:

bobdylan
February 25th, 2016, 12:02 AM
Could stage the little Crosley 4 cylinder motor as a pony engine to the V-12 for starting - like the old John Deere 2 cylinder and Cat 6 cylinder diesels - that way you could show that - "size does matter" :upyes: That could cool.