PDA

View Full Version : wiring question

sevenchevy
March 26th, 2016, 01:10 AM
I've re wired my 1963 surburban with a kwik wire harness. I want to use the exsisting gauges and I'm at a loss. I have an old set of gauges, hooked them up and they work. I did want to use the old gauges. Anybody have an idea where to go from here?

Funky61
March 26th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Welcome Sevenchevy, are you saying you want to use the factory gauges or old aftermarket aka SW etc...

I'd get a factory manual or find the schematic to trace down the wires to splice into.
Photo's help as well to see what your working on.

AZKen
March 27th, 2016, 08:46 AM
You say "existing gauges" and you say "old gauges". What does "old gauges" mean? What gauges exactly do you want to hook up? What is the problem if they work? We need much better explanation please. You also need to specify each gauge and if it is mechanical or electrical. Each gauge will have different hookup requirements, different sender requirements.

sevenchevy
March 27th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Yeah sorry I didn't give much info. The new harness has gauge supply (+) and gauge sender wires. When I said old gauges,I took an old set of vdo gauges and temporarily hooked them up accordingly to harness instructions. They worked. When it comes to wiring the exsisting (factory) gauges the wire colors don't jive. After some trail and error I've got the gas gauge working as well as the temp. The factory tach has a green wire and a brown wire. All I have is a purple wire from my hei distributor. The other gauge I'm not sure about is the battery gauge. I've got a red and black wire. When I hook up the red to hot and the black to ground I blow the gauge fuse. When I hook up the vdo volt gauge temporarily it shows 12 volts. I could just use the volt gauge but don't want to. I hope maybe this clears things up.

AZKen
March 27th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Don't think Factory 63 tach will work with HEI. You have converted to non voltage regulator/original ignition I suppose. Also most 63's have tell tale (idiot lights) for Gen and oil. Therefore senders are different for tell tale than for gauges. If you mean Amp gauge when you say battery gauge, follow wiring diagram for a amp gauge. Usually one to batt, one to alt. Not sure what you mean by "battery gauge". Voltage and AMP gauges hook up differently.
It's funny, when you say old gauges to an old guy it don't mean VDO. I was thinking same a Funky61, Stewart Warner. Also don't worry about colors, wire per function of the wire. How many actual original analog dial gauges in the instrument cluster? Be aware that PO's add gauges in the panel.

sevenchevy
March 27th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Attached you will see the dash on the 63 Suburban. As you can see, it says battery. Not sure it's an amp meter or volt meter.

AZKen
March 27th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Looks like you have the Deluxe cluster. Very nice. That would be an ammeter. It would be the best to obtain a schematic for 63 deluxe cluster and wire per. I probably should not advise because I don't know what changes there are in the electrical system. Don't know what motor or senders exist. It is said that ammeters should not be used with greater than 60 amp alt. Use Volt meter instead. It is also somewhat safer wiring.
BTW: This is a Chevy, right?

sevenchevy
March 27th, 2016, 11:51 PM
Yes. It is a chevy. I think i may just wire in the volt meter and be done with it. Thanks for your help,it is greatly appreciated. But i do only have a 60 amp alternator so maybe i will look for a wiring diagram. I'll keep you posted

bigblockv6
March 28th, 2016, 04:16 AM
GMC had a voltmeter they called a Bat-O-Meter, it could be made to be fitted on your left side of the cluster opposite to the Tach. I've seen one done to a Chevy before and it looked real good just like it belonged there.:thumbsup:

AZKen
March 28th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Good idea BBV6. BTW Chevy man, that left side is for a vacuum gauge and the clock was mounted on the dash. Pedestal style. Now those are really rare. Don't mind Chevy questions but the Stovebolt site is Chevy. Maybe more info there. They have a 60-66 forum.

bigblockv6
March 28th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Here's a pic of the Bat-O-Meter, the things to do is remove it from it's housing and install it in your cluster, very much just the same way the Tach is installed in your trucks Cluster. Both gauges were manufactured by Sun so dimensionally they are the same.:thumbsup:

GMCNUT
March 28th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Chevyman, I am in process of installing a new wiring harness in my own 1963 Chevy pickup w/ same deluxe guage & tach package as you have, but I ordered an original reproduction harness made for trucks that came with deluxe guages, where your kit is more intended for the hot rodder who will later install Dolphin or other aftermarket guages. Your harness doesn't have the simple plug & play connectors that a factory harness would have so if it were me, I'd get that harness you bought put on a Chevy forum and sell it, and re-order a correct original reproduction harness from Classic Parts of America www.classicparts.com and then every stock thing about your truck will work as it is designed to. They also make correct original harnesses that are only slightly altered from original so they work with HEI ignition.

The tach is on a separate harness, and as was the case with GMC trucks too, your 1963 Chevy would require an external Sun transmitter box - EB9A for V8 and EB7A for 6 cyl. The transmitter boxes used a AA looking internal battery that is no longer made, so you can use a AA and it will work but its best to send your transmitter box and tach to one of the companies who does solid state conversions - they remove the EB transmitter board and install their own which uses modern technology to send RPM information to the tach - they calibrate the tach perfectly with the new electronics and viola! you get a perfect working tach back. They also restore the guage face when desired.

Let me know if you need specifc info to do any of the above but I believe you will be happier if you ditch that aftermarket wiring harness and replace with a correct original design harness.