PDA

View Full Version : Vin Help please

tonyb1
March 28th, 2016, 05:06 PM
I have successfully decoded my vin - all with the exception of an M in it.

I cannot find out what plant an M designates?

A = Atlanta, Geogia
B = Baltimore, Maryland
* C = Oakland California
F = Flint, Michigan
* H = Oakland California
J = Janesville, Wisconsin
N = Norwood, Ohio
* P = Pontiac, Michigan
S = St. Louis, Missouri
T = Tarrytown, New York
* Z = Fremont, California

Was there an overflow plant?
Any Ideas?

jrmunn
March 29th, 2016, 03:38 PM
With no replies from anyone who actually knows, I will make a guess to see if it gets a response from someone with better information. I thought these GMC trucks were also made in Canada, but the cities I see listed are in the US. If they were made in Canada, "M" might mean Montreal?

JRMunn

Funky61
March 29th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I think depending on the series of the truck, the M designated the V-6 engine in the VIN.
TonyB1, what series truck do you have and would you mind posting the partial VIN except for the last few numbers?

bigblockv6
March 29th, 2016, 05:58 PM
The M designation was used on 67 and up pickups following the C or K designation for body style, for instance CM-2500 would be conventional cab, V6 gas, 3/4 ton. The same type of code system was used on larger E, H & J series trucks starting in 66:ok:

AZKen
March 30th, 2016, 12:52 AM
Welcome from one AZ to another........Yes, we need the entire VIN in case you are assuming it's plant designation and to be sure it's a Kosher GMC VIN. Good, complete info gets good answers on a forum.

6066gmcguy
March 30th, 2016, 02:22 AM
Dose not look like you wanted anyone to know anything about your truck, you posted no info to speak of to even take a guess, What year does it claim to be? how about a peek at what the vin number is you have?

David R Leifheit
March 30th, 2016, 03:20 AM
With no replies from anyone who actually knows, I will make a guess to see if it gets a response from someone with better information. I thought these GMC trucks were also made in Canada, but the cities I see listed are in the US. If they were made in Canada, "M" might mean Montreal?

JRMunn

No response because not enough information in his post.

BTW, Canadian VINs do not have plant information.
But would need to see his VIN to know if it is Canadian or not (there is a difference).

AZKen
March 30th, 2016, 04:08 AM
Tony, it's a good idea to monitor your post, especially if you are new and need help. We see some folks who post and never come back or respond. You did come to the right place for GMC or even Chevy. But we will loose interest in helping someone who bounces around the net leaving questions all over. That ain't us. Now-a-days with WIFI, laptops, iphones and all, it should be easy to check your forum question unless you are in the hospital and even then we would expect you to ask for a computer.

tonyb1
March 30th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Hey Guys
here is my Vin minus the last 4 numbers

1001MF----A

it is a legit vin it is in the right spot and no signs of it ever being tampered with........

Thanks for all of your help.

AZKen
March 30th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Well Tony, if you have looked at it with a magnifying glass and sure its not scratched, dented, faded, painted over.......as you said there are no "M's" in the 5 position for USA. You have found something rare, unknown, fake or mis stamped. Does the title say that exact number also? David or others can advise if it's Canadian. pretty sure it is not. I would like to have a pic of the M for our archives.

David R Leifheit
March 30th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Hey Guys
here is my Vin minus the last 4 numbers

1001MF----A

it is a legit vin it is in the right spot and no signs of it ever being tampered with........

Thanks for all of your help.

Definitely not Canadian.
I'd say make sure you look at it in good lighting. Unless someone knows of one, none of the group members have had a '64 with an "M" in the VIN. And with Jolly's research he doesn't appear to have known that to be a valid plant as that doesn't appear on any of the pages he has put up.

AZKen
March 30th, 2016, 07:26 AM
The Title would be interesting to compare. I'm betting it's a screwed up N or H.... or something a previous nefarious owner did. I thru that word in there to seem like I read a lot at Starbucks. Tony, if it's an M we owe you a 6 pack and beg for your understanding. I hope it's not so I can stop searching the freakin internet.

tonyb1
March 30th, 2016, 02:57 PM
I will double check everything today and let you know!!!

Thanks for everyones help

bobdylan
March 30th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Is that the frame stamp, or door pillar? I would look at both.

David R Leifheit
March 30th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Is that the frame stamp, or door pillar? I would look at both.

I think the consensus over time has been that it is rare for a GMC of the 60-66 variety to have a frame stamp. Chevrolet is more common.

I've stripped out a few, had a few rolling frames, and cannot say I have seen a stamp on the frame that corresponds to the VIN. I've seen it on '67 and newer more often.

tonyb1
March 30th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Well Guys,

I went back out to my ripped apart truck that I have owned for 4 years now...........and looked at the VIN on truck - it definitely looks like an M.

Then I grabbed the title that was safely stored in the safety box, and it clearly says an "H".

Looking at the VIN plate on the truck again - it is faint and is an H instead of an "M".

Sorry for confusing everyone and wasting their time on this........It was driving me crazy.........

Sorry guys!!

AZKen
March 30th, 2016, 07:43 PM
No problem, we all make mistakes. It's human nature. You are banned for a year.

FetchMeAPepsi
March 30th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Well Guys,

I went back out to my ripped apart truck that I have owned for 4 years now...........and looked at the VIN on truck - it definitely looks like an M.

Then I grabbed the title that was safely stored in the safety box, and it clearly says an "H".

Looking at the VIN plate on the truck again - it is faint and is an H instead of an "M".

Sorry for confusing everyone and wasting their time on this........It was driving me crazy.........

Sorry guys!!

Never a waste of time when you learn somethin new, I say. At least you got the mystery solved. What all are you doin to the truck?

Oh, and :welcome: to the forum!

Edit:
No problem, we all make mistakes. It's human nature. You are banned for a year.

BWahahaha! I just saw this :lolsmack2:

tonyb1
March 30th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Well, It already has a 350 in it........(was there when I bought it), and it has been lowered 2".

But it is a short bed fleetside with a big back window!!!!!

I have found that even though it is an arizona truck - it had a lot of rust in the rockers and floor area - so right now it is all cut up - ready for new pieces.

I am looking at colors - and would love to do an original red and white truck with whitewalls,

I still have to wire the truck before I can figure out anything on the engine that is in it........I will be using a universal kit (hopefully it will work out good)

So - I have a ton of work to do - and hopefully wont waste another 4 years....... I just love the look of this truck!!!! -

Cant post pics yet - as there are too many pieces.......

AZKen
March 30th, 2016, 10:06 PM
I'll come and see it someday. I'm at 101 and east Cactus.

tonyb1
March 30th, 2016, 10:32 PM
I am at Brown and Meridian

You are welcome anytime!!!!

6066gmcguy
March 31st, 2016, 01:56 AM
Ok looks like you got it figured out. 1964 was the only year with the new style cab to come from Oakland, plant H, 1965-66 got moved to the New Fremont plant, code Z. the oakland plant must have been shut down.

Canadian GMC vins look more like chevy truck vin numbers, just in case anyone wanted to know.