PDA

View Full Version : I LOVE this video! Gapping valves and promoting GMCs

TJ's GMC
April 19th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Love this guy! Tell them Block heads out there how it is! lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyoTQ0xaLBo

Ed Snyder
April 20th, 2016, 12:19 AM
Love this guy! Tell them Block heads out there how it is! lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyoTQ0xaLBo

It's easier and quicker to adjust the valves while the engine's running.

I love his commentary on the ignorant people who badmouth our V6s.

TJ's GMC
April 20th, 2016, 02:40 AM
It's easier and quicker to adjust the valves while the engine's running.

I love his commentary on the ignorant people who badmouth our V6s.

LOL! Yeah, I post this video on the chevy truck forum alot for those guys who bring up the all so glorious 350 to replace these V6's.

Semocoachworks
April 25th, 2016, 05:55 PM
LOL! Like this guy. Most of the knuckleheads around here look a you like your growing horns out of your head when you say 305 v6. God forbid you mention it at the parts store.

TJ's GMC
April 25th, 2016, 06:09 PM
LOL! Like this guy. Most of the knuckleheads around here look a you like your growing horns out of your head when you say 305 v6. God forbid you mention it at the parts store.

HAHA! SO dang true! I remember when I first got my GMC and went to get TUNE UP parts for my 305 at Napa....and I remember the awkward silence when I asked the guys there. They were like...you mean 305 V8 right? And I'm like...NO, It's a V6. Gotta love it!

6066gmcguy
April 26th, 2016, 02:21 AM
First Time I was in the NAPA parts house in Brigham, I told the guy I had a 1965 GMC With 305 and he said he knew what I needed and started pulling parts, so I let him do his things, when he piled all the parts on the counter I told him is a 1965 GMC V6 engine, he would need to look it up under GMC Truck to find the parts, so he told me there was no such a thing, and I asked him to look it up anyway. the look on his face was priceless.

TJ's GMC
April 26th, 2016, 05:39 AM
First Time I was in the NAPA parts house in Brigham, I told the guy I had a 1965 GMC With 305 and he said he knew what I needed and started pulling parts, so I let him do his things, when he piled all the parts on the counter I told him is a 1965 GMC V6 engine, he would need to look it up under GMC Truck to find the parts, so he told me there was no such a thing, and I asked him to look it up anyway. the look on his face was priceless.

lol! Yeah, The guys at Napa would tell me they had never heard of one and didn't think it existed. But in this case the customer was right. lol

POWERSTROKE
April 28th, 2016, 10:46 PM
The IDIOTS at my local NAPA store have never heard of a Chevy 350 V-8! Seriously, even the general manager doesn't know anything. Worst parts store I've ever been in.

bigblockv6
April 29th, 2016, 12:36 AM
They probably relate to it as a 5.7 liter V8. Bad enough I was getting some part for my 02 Trans Am from Oreilly auto parts the counter person kept repeating 350 350 350!!!! I told him no:pullinghairout: it's a 5.7 liter LS1 which is a 346 but their book says 350:lolsmack2::lolsmack2:

POWERSTROKE
April 29th, 2016, 02:38 AM
It would be the "Chevy" part that would throw these clowns when their computer says "Chevrolet".

Last time I was there I ordered all three flex lines for the brakes on my '96 F-250. I told the manager I needed the little U-shaped clips that held the one end. He says, " They're generic, I have boxes of them, I can get the right ones when I see the hoses.' 2-3 days later I go in to get the hoses and he tells me, "I wouldn't have anything like that...". Too lazy to look was my impression. I'll never cast a shadow in his doorway ever again.

TJ's GMC
April 30th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Well the guys at my napa aren't Quite that ignorant! lol Thank God. But it is funny when they give you that look. Even at the car show I took my truck to a lot of people were like...DUDE! Its got a V6!

POWERSTROKE
April 30th, 2016, 01:37 PM
The farming area I grew up in was a very high production area for livestock, hogs outnumbered people by several times, cattle did too. Every small town had a couple feed mills to grind & mix livestock feed plus a couple livestock trucking companies. Dad drove for several of them at different times. Gasoline powered semi-tractors were the preferred prime mover for all these companies. It wasn't until the very late 1960's that one or two company owners were brave enough to buy a diesel.

There were several companies that ran Ford Super-Duty gas engines exclusively, one happening to be owned by the owner of the local Ford dealer. Lots and lots of IH Red Diamond 450-6's, and everybody had a BIG V-6 GMC. Some companies had several. So I was exposed to BIG V-6 power at an early age riding shotgun with Dad. The guy Dad drove for the most even had a TORO-FLOW V-8 diesel in a Chevy C-70 short nose conventional.

I wasn't very old when I started driving, feed trucks, dump trucks, grain trucks. About '75 I started hauling ready mix concrete in a '74 Diamond REO with 555 V-8 Cummins & Allison ,5-speed.

TJ's GMC
May 1st, 2016, 05:34 AM
Wish my area had a bunch of V6's. lol I'd be making my own Stock pile!

Ed Snyder
May 1st, 2016, 08:04 AM
Wish my area had a bunch of V6's. lol I'd be making my own Stock pile!

Too bad you weren't a member of the forum a couple of years ago, Tom. I took a 305 and two 351s to the scrapper because I didn't have room to keep them all. That's where most of those heads and manifolds came from that you saw on my shelves.

TJ's GMC
May 1st, 2016, 03:15 PM
Too bad you weren't a member of the forum a couple of years ago, Tom. I took a 305 and two 351s to the scrapper because I didn't have room to keep them all. That's where most of those heads and manifolds came from that you saw on my shelves.

Yeah, Heck....2 years ago I was deep into rebuilding my 66's 292! haha Didn't even know what a V6 looked like; heard of it...but never had much interest until I saw mine for the first time. Oh well, Hoping a 379 or 401 will pop up in Oregon one day. Plan would be to swap out the 305 for one of those and then put the 305 in a 1000. I've been doing some heavy hauling with my GMC and I'm REALLY feeling the need for a gear splitter or some more cubic inches. But that V6 does a darn fine job for it's size I will say.