PDA

View Full Version : Burb survivor

Rustbucket
June 9th, 2016, 01:53 AM
hey jeannie this might be a good one for the archives:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172229360235?redirect=mobile

TJ's GMC
June 9th, 2016, 03:05 AM
That's nice! Seems to have a 351E instead of a 305E like the poster says.

Funky61
June 9th, 2016, 03:17 PM
First time I've seen a complete AIR smog pump system on the V6. Nice Looking suburban. So are the leaf springs an option?

Ed Snyder
June 9th, 2016, 08:47 PM
First time I've seen a complete AIR smog pump system on the V6. Nice Looking suburban. So are the leaf springs an option?

I had to laugh, Henry, when the seller claimed "rare" leaf spring rear suspension. From 1963 on, all the GMCs came with rear leaves. He seems a little confused on a few things, calling it a Chevrolet in a couple of places, and saying it's a 305 when his own photo of the ID plate says it's a 351. And his claim that it's "likely the nicest original in the country" is definitely a stretch. I saw an unrestored '66 Burb that was way nicer than this one at a show a few years ago. And if I saw one, there are probably others somewhere in the country too that are nicer. My own '62 is in better shape than this eBay one.

AZKen
June 10th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Dealer installed A/C but none of it is there? What? Isn't that the same thing as "It doesn't have A/C" ? Anyway, I thought they had funky on-dash vents then? I did get a 305 motor from CA with that same smog pump in a parts box. I think it was a CA thing for sure. It's not bad, if he really does have a bid at 17K, he should take it now. Right now.

Thanks to Rustbucket, sounds like we are bashing his intent. Not meant to. It IS a good one for the archives.

Funky61
June 10th, 2016, 12:40 AM
Yes on the Archives-Keeper remarks. It has great photos of the floor that I need. I did not realize there was such gap (step area) on the passenger side.

TJ's GMC
June 10th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Dealer installed A/C but none of it is there? What? Isn't that the same thing as "It doesn't have A/C" ? Anyway, I thought they had funky on-dash vents then? I did get a 305 motor from CA with that same smog pump in a parts box. I think it was a CA thing for sure. It's not bad, if he really does have a bid at 17K, he should take it now. Right now.

Thanks to Rustbucket, sounds like we are bashing his intent. Not meant to. It IS a good one for the archives.

I don't even see a place on the dash for A/C controls. Has the heat knobs and that's it.

TJ's GMC
June 10th, 2016, 03:55 PM
I had to laugh, Henry, when the seller claimed "rare" leaf spring rear suspension. From 1963 on, all the GMCs came with rear leaves. He seems a little confused on a few things, calling it a Chevrolet in a couple of places, and saying it's a 305 when his own photo of the ID plate says it's a 351. And his claim that it's "likely the nicest original in the country" is definitely a stretch. I saw an unrestored '66 Burb that was way nicer than this one at a show a few years ago. And if I saw one, there are probably others somewhere in the country too that are nicer. My own '62 is in better shape than this eBay one.

Anything to make it sell right for a higher price right? lol

David R Leifheit
June 10th, 2016, 09:55 PM
I don't even see a place on the dash for A/C controls. Has the heat knobs and that's it.

Because:
*Dealer installed A/C (missing compressor and underdash unit)

It would have been an underdash unit, totally self contained. All controls on the unit.
Basically what the ad says is it -had- A/C but had been removed.
Or it never had A/C since none of the system is there... so how could anyone tell?

AZKen
June 11th, 2016, 12:26 AM
Even if they could tell from mounting holes, what value did it add to the ad and what value does it add to the truck? If he has original dealer paper work showing purchase/installation of Air, that's kind of good. If not, any under dash unit could have been there during any era of it's life. Done by PO.

As said, probably a good old honest guy with little knowledge of vintage trucks. Translation: stole it from a widow neighbor!
As you can tell, this is a dealer.

TJ's GMC
June 11th, 2016, 02:03 AM
A self-contained all controls on unit is not factory right? lol

Ed Snyder
June 11th, 2016, 04:14 AM
Because:
*Dealer installed A/C (missing compressor and underdash unit)

It would have been an underdash unit, totally self contained. All controls on the unit.
Basically what the ad says is it -had- A/C but had been removed.
Or it never had A/C since none of the system is there... so how could anyone tell?

You can tell it had A/C because you can still see the mounting bracket for the compressor, and you can see the condenser in front of the radiator.

AZKen
June 11th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Good point Ed. I should have scrolled down more. I see the drier also. "Never mind" as Emily Litella would say. I see the pad for the York.

David R Leifheit
June 11th, 2016, 07:53 AM
You can tell it had A/C because you can still see the mounting bracket for the compressor, and you can see the condenser in front of the radiator.

Except it appears to only have a 2 belt pulley on the fan, and none of the pictures seem to show holes for the hoses to pass through (I had a '66 with the underdash unit still installed).

So there is a mount for *something* (I'd have a compressor there, but not for A/C if I had the opportunity).
I missed that it still had the condenser.

Still though, to say it has it, but the main parts are missing... isn't that the same as saying it doesn't have A/C?
One would have to replace the components left on the truck (I see a small cylinder affixed to the overflow tank as well) since they are compromised by the atmosphere?

It seems dishonest to claim it has A/C then say it doesn't.

Of course it has been pointed out that he doesn't even seem to know what motor it has or anything else.

I tried to go to the website with all the pictures, but another site to sign up for?

jimjaz
June 11th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Survivor, yes. Nicest in the country, no. I would love to buy a truck with dealer added air that is missing all of its' components.
There was a Chevy Sub taken as a trade-in a couple years ago in Washington state that was up on eBay asking about the same price- 17K. The difference is that it sold in a matter of just a couple of days. It was in time-capsule shape.

bobdylan
June 12th, 2016, 02:48 AM
The two pulley fan would be correct. It would have a three pulley damper.I have that set up in my 64 suburban. Mine was put in back in the day . riverside, I think Wards? Bob

David R Leifheit
June 12th, 2016, 11:27 AM
The two pulley fan would be correct. It would have a three pulley damper.I have that set up in my 64 suburban. Mine was put in back in the day . riverside, I think Wards? Bob

Is your A/C compressor above the fan?
Look at the pictures, there is no way a belt from the crank would miss the fan pulley to get to where the bracket for the A/C pump is.
(which is why I probably overlooked the bracket before, because of its location)

bobdylan
June 12th, 2016, 02:42 PM
I had not really looked at all the pictures, my compressor is setting where the smog pump is .

Jeannie
July 13th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Thank you for the link, Rustbucket. This Carryall is now archived with the 60-66 GMC Club at http://6066gmcclub.com/album.php?albumid=317

-Jeannie

6066 GMC Club