PDA

View Full Version : So where is everyone?

TJ's GMC
June 13th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Been looking at picture albums and I see all these trucks, but where are all the members? Several members doing intake mods on large engines, but no reports on how they run....no videos....Just pictures? Or one album was showing headers for a 305, How well did they increase performance? Any videos? Seems like a ton of stuff was going on with this site in the 2010-2012 years but now it's awfully quiet. lol So where is everybody? I know we are a rare type that doesn't slap a 350 into Everything we own, but there's a lot of members here. There was even a member looking into turbo charging one of these, seems like the thread just died. Did he give up? I know life gets in the way...haha....Number One reason my 66 is still in pieces...But seems like many have disappeared. Same thing at the 67-72 chevy truck forum! Back in the 2010-2012 years I've seen several old threads about V6's, and what where the members there saying? You guessed it..Throw in a 350. Seems like that has rubbed off on the entire world of restoration...if it ain't Cheap it ain't worth it. Who cares about being adventurous. Just take the easy routs in life. I hope by the time I'm retired this hobby won't be dead. And what I mean by that is....Everyone with the same engine, same paint job and same stinking slammed suspension and 5 spoke rims. I'm gonna be really mad if one day when I rebuild the 305 V6 in my GMC, I won't be able to because no parts will be available due to people scrapping perfectly good engines.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 13th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Been looking at picture albums and I see all these trucks, but where are all the members? Several members doing intake mods on large engines, but no reports on how they run....no videos....Just pictures? Or one album was showing headers for a 305, How well did they increase performance? Any videos? Seems like a ton of stuff was going on with this site in the 2010-2012 years but now it's awfully quiet. lol So where is everybody? I know we are a rare type that doesn't slap a 350 into Everything we own, but there's a lot of members here. There was even a member looking into turbo charging one of these, seems like the thread just died. Did he give up? I know life gets in the way...haha....Number One reason my 66 is still in pieces...But seems like many have disappeared. Same thing at the 67-72 chevy truck forum! Back in the 2010-2012 years I've seen several old threads about V6's, and what where the members there saying? You guessed it..Throw in a 350. Seems like that has rubbed off on the entire world of restoration...if it ain't Cheap it ain't worth it. Who cares about being adventurous. Just take the easy routs in life. I hope by the time I'm retired this hobby won't be dead. And what I mean by that is....Everyone with the same engine, same paint job and same stinking slammed suspension and 5 spoke rims. I'm gonna be really mad if one day when I rebuild the 305 V6 in my GMC, I won't be able to because no parts will be available due to people scrapping perfectly good engines.

I think these things go in waves. Trucks are really cool for a couple of years then they die out as people realize that they can't just tear one apart and have it magically rebuild itself. I still LOVE my truck, but I haven't had time to work on it because I'm getting older (finally out of my 30s) and now my kids have projects I have to work on (thanks kids). And there's the older generation with their issues, we able bodied have to take care of them and do for them.

I guess it's the big LIFE getting in the way. Anyway, it'll come back around. I'll be finished with the kid's car this summer and the boat I bought for the Prodigal Dad, then it's back to my old mainstay- my truck.

TJ's GMC
June 13th, 2016, 05:53 PM
I think these things go in waves. Trucks are really cool for a couple of years then they die out as people realize that they can't just tear one apart and have it magically rebuild itself. I still LOVE my truck, but I haven't had time to work on it because I'm getting older (finally out of my 30s) and now my kids have projects I have to work on (thanks kids). And there's the older generation with their issues, we able bodied have to take care of them and do for them.

I guess it's the big LIFE getting in the way. Anyway, it'll come back around. I'll be finished with the kid's car this summer and the boat I bought for the Prodigal Dad, then it's back to my old mainstay- my truck.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I'm not even 20 yet and between school, working 6 days a week so I can save money for my trucks, keeping the place looking decent, cutting firewood, and the list goes on....I'm busy! Oh yeah...the Heat. haha It's tough finding time, and when I Do have time it's hard to get motivated cause sometimes a man just needs a break. But, when I do get truck time...I spend a Minimum of 6 hours straight. haha! Amazing what you can get done in that amount of time. Got my 66's cab completely stripped and ready for cleaning on a Saturday I had off. Now it's building a roller cart for it and making a cover so I can sand blast. But since it was in the 90's yesterday....the a/c in the house sure was nice. And it's just gonna get hotter from here on out to. Ah well, that's what 5:30 AM is for!

WDShaffer
June 13th, 2016, 06:18 PM
My teen is now poking me to get busy on the old truck. New Build Thread: Lazarus Project

http://i66.tinypic.com/e3gjp.jpg

(Day One -- when I had hair!)

bobdylan
June 13th, 2016, 06:53 PM
I have been wondering where people are my self, a lot of times you respond to a post, and the conversation ends. I am sticking with these engines, parts can be found just takes time.

TJ's GMC
June 13th, 2016, 07:58 PM
I agree Bob. I love the 305 in my 64. And to think of all the fun I WOULDN'T have had with it had I just dumped in a 350 like a ton of other people. It's been a great experience seeing the gains in dual exhaust, and opening up a manifold to fit the 4 barrel. I will say this...my GMC will Never see a V8. If I change anything...I'm going Detroit or Cummins. But I still prefer a 478 v6 over those two. And I agree, I don't like it when you reply and suddenly the conversation just stops. Had plenty of those happen!

FetchMeAPepsi
June 13th, 2016, 09:12 PM
My teen is now poking me to get busy on the old truck. New Build Thread: Lazarus Project

http://i66.tinypic.com/e3gjp.jpg

(Day One -- when I had hair!)

Hey WD! Glad to see you're getting back in the swing of things! Your pic isn't showing up though. Says "Moved or deleted".

FetchMeAPepsi
June 13th, 2016, 09:13 PM
I have been wondering where people are my self, a lot of times you respond to a post, and the conversation ends. I am sticking with these engines, parts can be found just takes time.

Yep, they get their info and they disappear. It's normal on forums though. People just have not stick-to-it-iveness anymore.

Funky61
June 14th, 2016, 07:14 AM
I still have the suburban that initially brought me here. Its post like this one that made go outside and see if my Suburban would start after weeks of just sitting; and she did! I let her warm up and reevaluated what I wanted to do about the seating.
I caught myself just admiring the lines and the early hood and all the other things I sorta forgot I had done to her.
Maybe I'll post a video up like TJ or try and bemuse the others with a well told story like Fetch has done.
This thread has my thoughts disturbed over my 61 Burb. Thanks for kicking up some dust to wake me up.
Henry. :lolsmack2:

TJ's GMC
June 14th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I still have the suburban that initially brought me here. Its post like this one that made go outside and see if my Suburban would start after weeks of just sitting; and she did! I let her warm up and reevaluated what I wanted to do about the seating.
I caught myself just admiring the lines and the early hood and all the other things I sorta forgot I had done to her.
Maybe I'll post a video up like TJ or try and bemuse the others with a well told story like Fetch has done.
This thread has my thoughts disturbed over my 61 Burb. Thanks for kicking up some dust to wake me up.
Henry. :lolsmack2:

Glad ya got some motivation! Hope to see a video soon!

WDShaffer
June 14th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Oops...I tried to resize, and when that didn’t work, I deleted it and reloaded it…sorry

http://i66.tinypic.com/2v3g660.jpg

Ahh to be young again.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 14th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Oops...I tried to resize, and when that didn’t work, I deleted it and reloaded it…sorry

http://i66.tinypic.com/2v3g660.jpg

Ahh to be young again.

Haha! Check you out bringin' all the ladies to the yard with your classic truck and laid back style! :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
June 15th, 2016, 02:42 AM
HAHA at that comment. Maybe I'll try that when my 66 is done. :lolsmack2:

MrCos
June 15th, 2016, 04:23 AM

dude,
Im in the same boat! I have my truck almost 2 years now and barely had time to play with it! Between ever changing work schedules, kids, home projects, and my newfound interests in fishing, I haven't had much time to tinker with it. :banghead:
but I hope soon I can put a few days away at a time to get it back on the road, maybe to pull a boat to fish on! :upyes:

Charon
June 15th, 2016, 04:15 PM
I am Back. Still have the fleet. Plus a few additions.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 15th, 2016, 11:17 PM
I am Back. Still have the fleet. Plus a few additions.

Well heck, I might have to push the kids aside and work on Cecilia again haha!

How about some pics of the fleet?

Charon
June 15th, 2016, 11:39 PM
Well the 60 and 65. But the 60 now has an Alaskan camper on it. I will get pics of that. The 65 now has a canopy. Its run all the time. 9,000 more miles since the fall of 14. A one owner 61 rampside with 53,000 miles. The 68 m715. Its the most fun truck to drive. Hands down. I have a few more to add but I don't have pics saved on this phone. I have a 61 k1500. Its getting rebuilt. Upgraded through out. And it is getting re powered with a v8.

TJ's GMC
June 16th, 2016, 02:23 AM
New tires are in! :upyes:

David R Leifheit
June 16th, 2016, 03:44 PM
I have a 61 k1500. Its getting rebuilt. Upgraded through out. And it is getting re powered with a v8.

Shhhh... putting a v8 in one of the trucks is enough to get a person tarred & feathered here...

:)

TJ's GMC
June 16th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Shhhh... putting a v8 in one of the trucks is enough to get a person tarred & feathered here...

Especially if it's a 350 chevy. lol

FetchMeAPepsi
June 16th, 2016, 04:06 PM

He probably meant 351 V6! Where's my tar?:lolsmack2:

Charon
June 16th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I have a well built 305v6. It pulls an honest 250hp and 400lbs of torque. But I other plans for it. The k truck build has a 434 ci bigblock popping out 450 hp and 500+ torque. And besides the frame. And a nice body nothing is original.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 16th, 2016, 07:26 PM
I have a well built 305v6. It pulls an honest 250hp and 400lbs of torque. But I other plans for it. The k truck build has a 434 ci bigblock popping out 450 hp and 500+ torque. And besides the frame. And a nice body nothing is original.

Ok then, but you have to show a ton of pictures.

:poke:

TJ's GMC
June 16th, 2016, 09:36 PM

Man I would love to know what you did to that 305! Can you post pictures and specs? 400 torque is alot!

AZKen
June 16th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Jeannie will let us mention other GM motors, but just briefly, She is good that way, But this is a GMC Club. If you put a Chevy in a GMC, consider that you may be shunned. BUTT, If that's what it takes to get it running, we can be temporary BFF's.

Charon
June 17th, 2016, 01:22 AM
I have never advocated re powering working trucks. My 60 went from a swapped 350 back to a 305a. But the k truck is a compilation of 3 61's that all had huge issues. And really were parts. The 61 is a purpose built truck and it's being mentioned to show how certain improvements can be done to the k platform. Plus after a dozen or more 60-66 K truck builds I think this one will be a good reference for others. Fetch. No pics of the v6 mods until I am sure this is all going to work out here on 60-66. Plenty of pics will flow on the 61 K build. T J. Its a turbo charged v6. Simple.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 17th, 2016, 03:14 AM
I have never advocated re powering working trucks. My 60 went from a swapped 350 back to a 305a. But the k truck is a compilation of 3 61's that all had huge issues. And really were parts. The 61 is a purpose built truck and it's being mentioned to show how certain improvements can be done to the k platform. Plus after a dozen or more 60-66 K truck builds I think this one will be a good reference for others. Fetch. No pics of the v6 mods until I am sure this is all going to work out here on 60-66. Plenty of pics will flow on the 61 K build. T J. Its a turbo charged v6. Simple.

Turbo charged V6 sounds like a baaaaddd motor scooter! Can't wait to see that one. The K was toast. At least you got it back on the road. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC
June 17th, 2016, 05:44 AM

Sweet! Really hoping to see this one. I did a 4 barrel mod and dual exhaust on my 305. Made for a great improvement, but nothing like 400 foot pounds!

AZKen
June 17th, 2016, 09:43 AM
My comment was a joke reflecting on a moment when I got in trouble for advocating the use of a Chevy motor. The situation was handled in a very friendly manor. I did get a better understanding of the Clubs goals. Disregard my attempt at humor.

6066gmcguy
June 17th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I have been out to many car shows & Not seeing too many of our beloved GMC trucks. Not really doing much to my truck as it does not require a lot of work, just stuff to make it better for the car show season.

TJ's GMC
June 17th, 2016, 04:01 PM
That's the thing that really sucks about car shows. Heck, last year Most of the cars where bel airs it seemed! And guess what? They all had 350's to! :banghead: And people are drawn to them like wildfire. I guess cause most just don't care to know what's under the hood. I did get some good head scratchers with mine while it was there though. Very few new what it actually was.

bryanblock1
June 24th, 2016, 03:32 AM
Well I'm still actively working on mine! Converting back to v6, 351e

bryanblock1
June 24th, 2016, 03:35 AM

TJ's GMC
June 24th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Looks good! :thumbsup: