PDA

View Full Version : '62 1ton dually

62 Addict
August 7th, 2016, 12:53 AM
Finally! I made it back home and went & played with my truck today. Yes, I got pics.
The bad: Didn't get the 305 running. #2 has some rust that won't let go. Now soaking. The water pump is toast. It leaks out weep hole & shaft wobbles. Need to put kit in the Holley 2 barrel. The wiring is hacked! Lots of shorts due to bad taps. Windshield is cracked all over. Lots of other little things.
The good: Has 14 bolt rear, gears unknown. Has 16" rims, so tires should be cheap. Cleaned up wiring enough so it should run without burning. Brake master had fluid and brake & clutch feel OK. Looks like water got in carb, not head gasket or crack block. Still no buyer remorse! And dog got to run around on a farm all day.

FetchMeAPepsi
August 7th, 2016, 02:09 AM
Great pics! I haven't done a water pump but I did a full step-by-step on rebuilding a carb. It's in my build if you get stuck and need some pics to reference. The holley can't be too much different than the stromberg they came with.

Congrats on a great find!

62 Addict
August 7th, 2016, 05:16 AM
Thanks. The carb would be alright except for the pump diaphragm is dried out. Kinda bummed I didn't get to hear it run. Soon.

TJ's GMC
August 7th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Very nice truck! Diggin the patina. :thumbsup:

The 500 holley 2 barrel and an HEI setup with dual exhaust is a nice improvement in these. Be sure to establish you have a solid engine before getting all that though. If you break it loose I would be doing a valve adjustment and them a compression check. If the numbers are good then a full tune up and drive the heck out of it. :upyes:

62 Addict
August 8th, 2016, 01:51 AM
Was hoping to have it running yesterday, now I have to wait 3-4 wks for more home time. It was a driving truck until owner died 5 yrs ago. Guess I'll order head gaskets in case I need them. At least those are still made. Unlike cab mounts.

TJ's GMC
August 8th, 2016, 01:53 AM
Master engine gasket kits are also available from O'reilys. Got one for my 305 and all has been correct thus far. Comes with Everything.

62 Addict
August 13th, 2016, 04:17 AM
Thanks, I will check O'Reillys. Did order water pump from Summit.

TJ's GMC
August 13th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Only thing that sucks with the kit from O'riellys is they don't provide the came shaft cover gasket. Long as you have enough silicon you'll be ok. haha Other than that I've been good. :thumbsup: