PDA

View Full Version : Looking for members that installed AC

GTS61
August 12th, 2016, 12:49 AM
I'm trying to find out what other members have purchased after market AC system kits. I'm looking to add AC, the evaporator, condenser, compressor everything needed to cool my pickup. Has anyone installed AC on their 305 V6? I heard that there is no brackets for the compressor. Anyways I'd sure appreciate any info on this matter. Thanks

FetchMeAPepsi
August 12th, 2016, 01:59 AM
You have to make your own AC bracket, but it's not a huge deal. You can make one with an Acetylene torch (learning to use one is easy, and fun!) or you can go down to the local muffler shop and have them cut you up one from some flat steel stock. Just talk to the welder and see what he'd charge to cut something up that would work.

HOTRODJOHN
August 12th, 2016, 02:02 AM
I am a Vintage Air dealer and will be doing it in a few weeks. I am just accumulating different parts to try to cover any problems. There are no A/C mounts but from looking at it I do not see a problem. There will be some trial & error but once I do the first one I will be able to help you out. I have the engine on the engine stand but cannot start for about 2 2wweks, I am installing 2 units on 2 other vehicles. You can PM me if you want. John

FetchMeAPepsi
August 12th, 2016, 03:11 AM
I am a Vintage Air dealer and will be doing it in a few weeks. I am just accumulating different parts to try to cover any problems. There are no A/C mounts but from looking at it I do not see a problem. There will be some trial & error but once I do the first one I will be able to help you out. I have the engine on the engine stand but cannot start for about 2 2wweks, I am installing 2 units on 2 other vehicles. You can PM me if you want. John

You now get my vote for winner of the internet! :welldone:

If you can fab up brackets and sell them the market may not be huge, but everyone here will add you to their Christmas list! It's the quality over quantity!
:upyes:

HOTRODJOHN
August 12th, 2016, 03:28 AM
Thanks, I am a man of mild means.

GTS61
August 12th, 2016, 11:09 AM

Thanks John!
I sent you a pm.

Clyde the 65
August 13th, 2016, 07:52 PM
I'm interested, sent you a pm. Thanks.

Quigley
August 13th, 2016, 09:39 PM
I have Vintage Air in my 66 and it works GREAT! Made a solid mount bracket in conjunction with the power steering and use it for the adjuster.

GTS61
August 13th, 2016, 09:45 PM
That is beautiful!!! What size of engine do you have? Do you fix up your pickup yourself?

Quigley
August 13th, 2016, 10:16 PM
It is the original 305E that came in the truck with a Powerflow also original. Did some of the work myself, but most was done by real mechanics and body man. Thanks for the Kudos, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. Dave

HOTRODJOHN
August 14th, 2016, 12:45 AM
Dave, Just would like to see some close up photos of the mountings including the pulleys. I cannot enlarge the 4 photos you posted. you can PM me if you want. John

Quigley
August 14th, 2016, 01:59 AM
John, PM sent, also did you try double clicking on pictures. works on my computer. Dave

Quigley
August 14th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Took some better pictures today. My truck has power steering and that was used but I think you could offset it to line up with a single pulley system an use the alternator for adjuster. Hope this is helpful. Dave

GTS61
August 14th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Dave which AC system did you get? I know it's VA but did you have to order everything separately or did you order the kit for 60-63 Chevy? It looks like I could order the same one since our engines are the same size. Hope mine will look as good as yours does!!

HOTRODJOHN
August 14th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Dave, Thanks a lot. was wondering how high it put the A/C over the motor. John

Quigley
August 14th, 2016, 10:12 PM
I used Vintage Air kit # 941164 for 64-66 GM using the original heater controls. :welcome:

GTS61
August 16th, 2016, 02:43 AM
Dave One company told me I would have to go to a 6 blade fan but it looks like you still have a 4 blade fan. I also have power steering on my 61 305. Where did you get your compressor bracket?

HOTRODJOHN
August 16th, 2016, 03:17 AM
I made another post but I thought that I would let you know. If anyone has an original A/C bracket there is an adapter to convert the York Bracket to the Sanden compressor. Even though there is an adapter I am still going to make one bracket to fit the Sanden on the 305's. I plan on putting the compressor on the top and the power steering bracket under it but will see how it lays out. Any suggestions please get in touch with me, I appreciate any feedback. John

GTS61
August 16th, 2016, 03:51 AM
Only suggestion I have John is that I'll be the first to purchase your bracket for the 305's!! Thanks for doing this John!

Quigley
August 18th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Dave One company told me I would have to go to a 6 blade fan but it looks like you still have a 4 blade fan. I also have power steering on my 61 305. Where did you get your compressor bracket?

I have not had any issues with the four blade fan. The bracket is a SBC that was modified. Dave

GTS61
August 18th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Do you have a fan on yours?

Quigley
August 18th, 2016, 11:48 PM
All that is on mine is the original four blade fan on the water pump. So far its worked fine. Dave

GTS61
August 19th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Wow Dave that is good to know!! I was told different.