PDA

View Full Version : New project, it's gonna get strange

atomman
August 14th, 2016, 01:59 AM
OK, when I retired from the US Army in 1995, my first job was driving a hearse. Did this for 8 years part time. So, now that my V-12 is almost ready to rumble, I need somewere to put it. As a pretty good wood worker, I thought I would build a wooden hearse, have always wanted to. I just bought the body needed to make a wooden hearse, a 1942 Ford ambulance. OK, so I am a little kooky, but hey, the wife still kisses me at night. The V-12 will require the frame to be lengthened, the body shorten for a sedance deville town car, and the wooden box will be built on the back. So, look at the pix, and give me your ideas.

atomman.

HOTRODJOHN
August 14th, 2016, 06:17 AM
Looks pretty cool. I like things that are a little different. People ask me why am I building a station wagon, I tell them everyone has a Camaro and Mustangs. Hope you will keep use updated on the project. John

AZKen
August 14th, 2016, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't be caught dead in that!

GMCDAC
August 15th, 2016, 12:58 AM
I can't help on ideas but I hope to see more of this project!

DAC

atomman
September 2nd, 2016, 12:40 AM
Ok GMC folks, can I use the V-12 air pump to for an air ride, bagged, suspension. It worked for the big trucks, wouldn't it work to keep a tank full of air on a street rod.?
Atomman

bobdylan
September 2nd, 2016, 01:51 AM
I don't see any reason why it would not work, It is an air compressor. How is the engine build going?

bigblockv6
September 2nd, 2016, 03:05 AM
The big truck compressors run continuously, that may be overkill for what you're using it for. I use a York AC compressor as an air source and what's nice about that it can cycle on and off hooked up to a pressure switch or even just a on and off switch.:ok:

TJ's GMC
September 2nd, 2016, 04:01 PM
Subbed. :thumbsup:

paultravisholland
November 2nd, 2018, 04:24 PM
How much do you anticipate this to weigh when finished?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

Rockdriller
April 26th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Well, this is my brand new very favorite project.

LEWISMATKIN
May 1st, 2019, 01:26 AM
automan, you can use the air compressor from the v-12. you need several things in order to use it. First, you need the bracket the compressor mounts on. Second, you must fabricate an oil pressure line to the back of the compressor to furnish lubrication, and a drain line to return oil back into the crankcase of the engine. Third, you will need a compressor discharge line( a steel braided teflon line with the right fittings fixed to the ends) an air govenor (D-2 type), and a air resavoir from a big truck. plumb the lines to the appropriate ports, run the engine and the govenor will activate the unloaders in the compressor at 120-125psi. I would be happy to help with a general line diagram when you get the system installed.