PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Suburban interior paint

bpmcgee
September 15th, 2016, 04:21 PM
I'm wondering how the 61 'burb would have been painted inside.

I know the Chevy pickups had a dark grey/black dash and silver/grey everywhere else. I'm just getting familiar with GMC, though -- would they have been painted the same? And would the Suburban have been painted like the pickup?

Thanks!

Brian

Funky61
September 15th, 2016, 06:23 PM
That's how my Suburban was on the inside; silver with the darker dash top paint.

GMCNUT
September 16th, 2016, 01:25 PM
1961 is a one year only Bluish or Greenish Silver interior color - 1960 used a different shade of Silver that is more pewter-like. I have a code for 1961 Silver if you need it - it matches up on the computerized systems today as a Mitsubishi interior color or something seems like so it can be readily produced at any automotive paint store - I just had two spray cans made up in this very color so I could do some firewall color touch ups. I'll have to go to the body shop and get the code if you need it - dont have it here

bpmcgee
September 16th, 2016, 04:22 PM
GMCNUT,

I'd love to have that code! My interior is a golden-brown right now but I want it original.

B

bigblockv6
September 17th, 2016, 03:07 AM
GMCNUT, what year is your truck?

GMCNUT
September 19th, 2016, 06:10 PM
GMCNUT,

I'd love to have that code! My interior is a golden-brown right now but I want it original.

B

sorry for the slow reply - just getting back after a week's vacation. I will get the code next trip over to the body man's shop this week and post for you

GMCNUT
September 19th, 2016, 06:13 PM
GMCNUT, what year is your truck?

LOL - which one? I have one of just about every model year from 1955 to 1966 under roof here somewhere....

bigblockv6
September 20th, 2016, 04:04 AM
LOL - which one? I have one of just about every model year from 1955 to 1966 under roof here somewhere....

The one that has the wrong interior color:teehee:

GMCNUT
September 20th, 2016, 01:32 PM
The one that has the wrong interior color:teehee:

None of my trucks have the wrong interior color Pete - are you refuting that 1961 is a different Silver interior color from 1960? Not sure what you are trying to say here

bigblockv6
September 20th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Sorry GMCNUT I got you confused:pullinghairout: with bpmcgee

bpmcgee
September 20th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Me?

It's a '61 GMC Suburban (The subject of the thread :) )

B

Funky61
September 20th, 2016, 06:34 PM
I'm in for that code as well.
Thanks, Henry

GMCNUT
September 20th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Sorry GMCNUT I got you confused:pullinghairout: with bpmcgee

LOL - easy to do with so many members all talking about similar subjects

bpmcgee
October 19th, 2016, 08:39 PM
GMCNut,

I picked up the Suburban, and it's definitely fawn inside. Sure doesn't look like a repaint, and I'm not sure why someone would repaint it fawn.

Did you find that paint code?

B

GMCNUT
October 20th, 2016, 03:31 PM
GMCNut,

I picked up the Suburban, and it's definitely fawn inside. Sure doesn't look like a repaint, and I'm not sure why someone would repaint it fawn.

B

If its factory Fawn inside I'd check your VIN and lets see if its truly a 61 or if its actually a 62 titled as a 61. Often trucks were titled as the year the were sold in vs the actual model year - could well be you have a 62 Suburban sold in late 1961 and thus titled as such. Post the VIN and we'll tell you

bpmcgee
October 20th, 2016, 04:40 PM
The VIN begins with 1001CN, which would make it a California 60-61 I believe?

B

David R Leifheit
October 20th, 2016, 07:16 PM
The VIN begins with 1001CN, which would make it a California 60-61 I believe?

B

10 = 1/2 ton - 1000 series
01 = 115" Wheelbase
C = Oakland, California
N = 1960/1961

Should end with an "A" for 6000 GVW class.

bpmcgee
October 20th, 2016, 10:23 PM
So we agree that it's a real '61 and not a '62 sold early right?

I'll get a picture of the interior color.

B

GMCNUT
October 21st, 2016, 05:22 PM
So we agree that it's a real '61 and not a '62 sold early right?

I'll get a picture of the interior color.

B

YEP - "N" is indeed the right series for 60 and 61. All I can speculate before seeing pics is if your interior is Fawn, it was one of the very last trucks off the line with a new 1962 hot on its heels and they were already switching to Fawn, or someone has repainted it at some time or other. I have personally never seen an 60-61 Chevy nor GMC with original Fawn inside, so your truck would be a very strange variant to say the least....

bpmcgee
October 21st, 2016, 05:30 PM
I agree, GMCNut -- I'm a big believer in Occam's Razor.

B

bpmcgee
October 27th, 2016, 04:08 PM
GMCNut,

B

Hey GMCNut,

Did you ever get a chance to find that paint code? I'm ready to paint some seats, so I could really use it!

Thanks,

B

Funky61
October 27th, 2016, 08:47 PM
BP is your Suburban the burgundy color red one on 67-72 board?

bpmcgee
October 27th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Yeah, it is. You checked out the pictures over there?

B

Funky61
October 27th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Yes; I thought I saw your Bpmcgee call letters mentioned.

I'm thinking that the color looks too gold for a fawn. Your floorboards (shifter hump area) are silver like mine, but I think they did a repaint on the other panels inside; dash and sides. Just my opinion of course and kind of a moot point since your going back to the silver.

bpmcgee
October 27th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Well, the seat is tan vinyl, like a 62 would have, which makes me wonder if it left the factory medium fawn instead of silver fawn. When I removed the dashboard to check the lights, it was DEFINITELY silver fawn behind the dash, so I agree it was that color when first it breathed life.

The more I think about this, the more this feels like fruitless speculation. I start to feel like I'm being more rigid than the factory was. I've seen the grey fabric for the '61s, and frankly the aqua fabric from the '62 will match my exterior color better, which will be Cape Blue.

In other words, since it's at least possible this was a late '61 which ended up being painted as a '62, and that works best for my plan, I'm seriously considering going down that path.

bpmcgee
April 17th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Bump.

GMCNut, did you get that paint code?

B

GMCNUT
April 17th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Sorry! I forgot to post it - its called "Flaxen Oyster" in a modern match to current colors, and it sprayed out to match my Suburban interior original paint (under the seat back cushions nice and clean and un-faded) perfectly. I took the can w/ code on it to the body shop to use to convert to Dupont so I'll have a Dupont code for it shortly. As soon as I get that back I will post. Seems like Flaxen Oyster came out to be a Toyota color or something like that - always interesting to see what modern manufacturers are using that matches up to our older colors

bpmcgee
April 17th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Flaxen Oyster from 1999 Lexus?

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Flaxen%20Oyster&tditzler=27579&rows=50