PDA

View Full Version : New air conditioning bracket

HOTRODJOHN
October 5th, 2016, 03:33 AM
Here is an up date on the bracket. This is a rough picture of where the bracket will end up mounting. Of course all the parts will be messaged and trimmed to fit perfect. 80% there. That will give you a general idea where it will go and how it fits. Any questions message me. It will that another few weeks and it will be finished. I have to make 25 pieces on the first run. It will come complete bracket, bottom support and all the hardware for mounting it. The only part that is not included will be the white fan belt, I am keeping it for myself. If you can give me some feedback, I would appreciate it. Also, would you want me to include the fan belt or leave it up to you. This will be for the Vintage Air Unit. Thanks, John

TJ's GMC
October 5th, 2016, 03:51 AM
No pic. :(

HOTRODJOHN
October 5th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Sorry, I forgot to post the photo. Here is one photo and will update more tonight.

TJ's GMC
October 5th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Very nice! :thumbsup:

ilvracn
October 5th, 2016, 07:22 PM
looks great:thumbsup:

Ed Snyder
October 5th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Here is an up date on the bracket. This is a rough picture of where the bracket will end up mounting. If you can give me some feedback, I would appreciate it. This will be for the Vintage Air Unit. Thanks, John

Sign me up for one, John. I do have one question, though. It's not obvious from your photos how to adjust the compressor for proper belt tension. I assume there would be a curved slot somewhere so the compressor would pivot. Can you clarify?
Thanks,
Ed

HOTRODJOHN
October 6th, 2016, 03:50 AM
I am almost done just some cosmetics. The bracket will move front to back and side to side, there are slots machined on both brackets, the one from Vintage Air and the one I made. Please ask me any questions because I tried to think of any problems we may encounter. When I get the parts back from the fabricator I will tig weld one of mounting brackets on and then they will be ready to go. When all done, I will post a photo to show everything included with the bracket to make the installation easy. On one of the photos there are slots running front to back, on the new bracket they run side to side. This gives you adjustment in both directions. John

AZKen
October 6th, 2016, 03:51 AM
John, it is aluminum, correct?

HOTRODJOHN
October 6th, 2016, 04:05 AM
Ken, it is steal. The only reason I have to weld on a mounting bracket, there were 2 bends for mounting but the bends were too tight. They had to shear one off and that's why I will have to do the welding. The Sanden compressor is aluminum. JOHN

TJ's GMC
October 6th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Bout how much are these gonna run John?

HOTRODJOHN
October 7th, 2016, 05:07 AM
As soon as i am done and get all the hardware i will let you know. I am bringing it to the sema show and vintage air may include it in their kits and catalog in the future. John

TJ's GMC
October 7th, 2016, 05:36 AM
That's awesome John! :thumbsup:

GTS61
October 7th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Looks good John. Let me know when you have the bracket for sale. Thanks

jbgroby
October 10th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Hot Rod,

Will this work with folks who have added the PS option and pump. because the way I see this It will fall just about where I have the PS Pump.

ilvracn
October 10th, 2016, 04:14 PM
looks like the cap on ps will be hitting bottom of ac bracket:noway:

AZKen
October 10th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately it's going to hit way more than the cap. Probably a lot of buyers without PS will want it.

ilvracn
October 10th, 2016, 07:57 PM
bummer guess i will have to make my own

HOTRODJOHN
October 11th, 2016, 01:10 AM
I will post a picture of a PS bracket I am making to use a factory unit. Many guys I spoke to didn't have any PS so I decided to make a bracket for that. It will go on the drivers side because the alternator was on top on the pass side. I am almost done with it as of now. The bracket will be on the drivers side and on the bottom under the Compressor, The PS will use the first pulley on the balancer but I am researching different style pulleys in order to make everything work. John

TJ's GMC
October 11th, 2016, 02:58 AM
Wouldn't take me long to sacrifice P/S for A/C on a 105 degree day.

jbgroby
October 11th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Wouldn't take me long to sacrifice P/S for A/C on a 105 degree day.

You got that right.......

ilvracn
October 11th, 2016, 10:11 PM
my truck has bigger tires, making it extremely hard to steer. a buddy of mine has a panel truck with manual steering, it is way easier to steer than mine. the panel has stock size tires, and a small block, not a heavy v-6. i'll be keeping my power steering. i have 3 other older cars with manual steering, they are manageable, but the truck needs power steering.

AZKen
October 11th, 2016, 11:51 PM
Up to you, but it's a great way to build up your biceps.....with the A/C on.

HOTRODJOHN
October 12th, 2016, 01:40 AM
You wouldn't have to get rid of it you would just have to re-locate it. That is why I am doing this bracket and it will move it to the bottom of the motor. I will post photos tomorrow. John

ilvracn
October 12th, 2016, 02:11 PM
i work for a living, so i like to relax when i drive, and enjoy the old girl.
relocation would be ok. can you use the sanden compressor with this bracket?

HOTRODJOHN
October 12th, 2016, 03:57 PM
That's what I made it for. I am a Vintage Air dealer and that's what comes with the kit. John

TJ's GMC
October 12th, 2016, 05:03 PM
You wouldn't have to get rid of it you would just have to re-locate it. That is why I am doing this bracket and it will move it to the bottom of the motor. I will post photos tomorrow. John

Sounds good, keeping the P/S will be nice, but like said....I'd sacrifice for A/C any day. haha Mainly because this truck is my daily driver and work truck. And the summers here are always in the 90's and over 100. At 5:30 PM after a long day of work on a 105 degree day...the A/C sounds more relaxing than P/S. But that's my opinion. And I have 32 inch nexen 10 plys on mine. I'm just glad your taking the time to fab an a/c bracket! :thumbsup:

HOTRODJOHN
October 13th, 2016, 12:36 AM
Here is the mock up photo, I just have to make one more support and it will be ready to go to the laser cutter. By the way it does not come with the white wire. Any feedback would be appreciated and no offence taken. John

AZKen
October 13th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Well, where do we get the white wire then? Part number? Anything?

HOTRODJOHN
October 13th, 2016, 02:01 AM
Well Ken, for you I will throw it in at N/C/