PDA

View Full Version : interior door latch issues

jbgroby
October 7th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Anyone have problems getting the inside door handle latch to engage the door lock? I can't seem to get the door handle to release the lock?

These are all new after market parts?
Thoughts?

snazzypig
October 7th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Nothing fits and functions better than original parts. I use NOS or good used original wherever I can. I'm not doing a show quality restoration, so it makes things a lot easier.

jbgroby
October 8th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I'll have to track some down. Crap, got to pull the glass out of the door...

jbgroby
October 9th, 2016, 01:25 PM
I dug through all my spare parts and found one of the old linkages. Slipped it on and it works perfect. I then matched it up to the new aftermarket part. The size and length at exact. The problem comes in on the coiled spring, it does not seen to allow the linkage to travel far enough to trip the lock release.

I put in a call to a OEM parts house to pick up a driver's side one.

Jake

jbgroby
October 10th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Ok,we think we figured out what the problem is. The OEM door release is operated by a spring and moves the linkage forward and backward. The NEW aftermarket setup DOES NOT move the linkage forward enough to trip the release spring on the door lock. I had one OEM linkage for the passenger side and it works perfectly.

Side by side they are identical, but the spring just does not work correctly. It's possible that the springs is just too hard/tight, but you are taking a chance of striping the teeth off of the new shaft part (trashy soft metal). I see now way to adjust the spring.

I reached out to RJ Sisneros in Colorado for a OEM linkage.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag64/jbgroby/IMG_20161008_090049220_zpsqagr1wjl.jpg

Jake

snazzypig
October 10th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Glad you found the problem. If you are talking about the man in Crowley, Colorado, I have bought a few parts from him. He is reasonable and good to deal with. Some of his trucks are out in a field which is home to some rattlesnakes.

jbgroby
October 11th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Yep, RJ is good people! ****, I just about got a whole truck from him over the years.....