PDA

View Full Version : 1966 GMC 1/2 6.2 diesel swap

Rob Dale
December 13th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Hello Folks,

I just wanted to find out if anyone has any info on swapping a GM 6.2 diesel into a '66 GMC 1/2 ton pick up. The 6.2 is out of my Dad's old 1993 GMC 1/2 ton pickup. My '66 currently has a chevy 454 big block in it now. I am not looking for the pros/cons about the 6.2 diesel engine itself, this drivetrain has been in the family a long time and has been a good performer. Dad is gone now so I would like keep his diesel going in my '66. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Hey, at least it will have a GMC engine back in it, lol.

Thanks again.

Rob Dale
Mustang, Oklahoma

FetchMeAPepsi
December 13th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I can't help with the swap, but good on you keeping your dad's truck alive. You'll just have to worry about motor mounts and trans adapters from what I know. You can have custom mounts made or you can fab something up.

Rob Dale
December 13th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. I get questioned on why the 6.2 diesel, but when ever I hear it running it makes me think of my dad and all the years he used the truck to haul firewood in Florida. The '93 GMC 1/2 ton literally rotted away, frame, body, all that was really remaining was the drive train. I actually drove it to Oklahoma from Florida while Dad was still around, felt the floor flexing at times, lol, but it made all good and well. So anyways, thanks again and I will keep the forum posted on how this project unfolds.

FetchMeAPepsi
December 13th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Haha, flexing floors over 900 miles. That'll pucker you up! Looking forward to seeing the progress. You'll be blazing a trail for anyone else in a similar situation. :thumbsup:

kchampagne
December 14th, 2016, 12:15 AM
Your project sounds like a great idea! You might what to look around on the 67-72 Chevy trucks site. I believe there are quite a few diesel swap projects on there. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

TJ's GMC
December 14th, 2016, 01:30 AM
I wouldn't even worry about the 67-72 chevy sight. Reason being is the folks over there are so dang stuck on 350 chevys they think anything else is not worth it. :banghead:

FetchMeAPepsi
December 14th, 2016, 01:40 AM
Your project sounds like a great idea! You might what to look around on the 67-72 Chevy trucks site. I believe there are quite a few diesel swap projects on there. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

No! bad kchampagne! Where's my squirt bottle?

kchampagne
December 14th, 2016, 02:30 AM
Well, Rob asked for info on diesel swaps and I am not aware of any builds on here. Just trying to be responsive and help a brother out since I know there are a few done on that site. He didn't ask for a 350 swap. Geez.

FetchMeAPepsi
December 14th, 2016, 02:35 AM
Well, Rob asked for info on diesel swaps and I am not aware of any builds on here. Just trying to be responsive and help a brother out since I know there are a few done on that site. He didn't ask for a 350 swap. Geez.

Haha!

Yeah, there's more swaps into chibbys all over the place, but this one's a GMC. That makes it special.

TJ's GMC
December 14th, 2016, 02:38 AM

No I totally understand! Didn't mean it to sound rude, just warning to OP that blokes over there tend to be stuck on the common things. 6.2's tend to be looked down upon over there just like the v6 cause they're all stuck on 350's. That's what I meant. Shoulda specified. My bad.

kchampagne
December 14th, 2016, 02:55 AM
Oh, no worries! I just really like Rob's story about someday being able to hear his Dad's engine under the hood of his GMC. I'd love to follow along on a build like that and help anyway I can!

BobBray
December 15th, 2016, 07:59 AM
GM 6.2/6.5 diesels have the common Chevrolet bell housing bolt pattern, and generally use 454 motor mounts. Chances are pretty good if your truck is set up for a 454, a 6.2 swap will not be too much trouble. They weigh about the same as a Chevy big block too.

Rob Dale
December 16th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, I enjoy it. I found a local mechanic who works on older GMC/Chevy trucks, I think we are gonna be able to work out a deal with my '92 GMC and the 454 that is in my 1966 GMC, that will help keep my cost under control and I will get to participate in the project as well. I know its a love/hate deal on the 6.2's, but I am hoping as long as this one has been in the family it will keep on chugging away in the '66.
Will keep the forum posted, thanks again.
Rob Dale