PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up Heater Controls?

jbgroby
January 2nd, 2018, 10:00 PM
Being that I like to have froze my bottom off yesterday morning to drive the truck – its time to do the heater thing (south Louisiana won’t use much, but this week is a real bear).

IS there a tutorial anywhere I can read on hooking up a deluxe heater? I’m a bit befuddled on the wiring?

Power wire going to switch from fuse block, but them there are 3 spades from dash fan switch?

Thanks

AZKen
January 2nd, 2018, 11:25 PM
There are 4 spades on the fan control switch including the hot feed. This switch wires to the resistor. This resistor assy is mounted to the back side of the duct. Do you have that assy?

If you don't have a schematic, I can give you the hook up.

jbgroby
January 3rd, 2018, 01:30 PM
Thanks Az,

Yes shoot me the hook up, What I have is the following (should be stock)

Fan switch with the 4 spades
Resistor on the backside of the heater duck, this resistor has a coil of wire (resistor) between spades., I thought it was two, but I may be wrong.

can you pm me and I'll send my email.

AZKen
January 3rd, 2018, 06:26 PM
Email sent

jrmunn
January 4th, 2018, 05:37 AM
Can details hooking up the heater/defroster controls be put on the forum? I am interested in switching from the pull-out and turn handle to lever controls - the handle is coming off and sticks out into the same space that someone's head might end up in a hard stop.

JRMunn

AZKen
January 4th, 2018, 06:57 AM
Yes they can. In my case, with my info, I will wait to hear that my info works for Jake. Then I will post what I sent to him. Don't want to post it if it has errors. In the mean time, it's in the manuals, Chevy or GMC. My info to Jake was electrical, not cable. Cable is kind of intuitive. I think. I have not hooked mine all up yet either.

Jake has not acknowledged receiving my email yet.

jbgroby
January 4th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Just checked, I did not get it yet. 7:30 am new Orleans time

jrmunn
January 4th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Changing heater/defroster controls in the 64 GMC has been on my mind for years, so I can wait. Thank you for the reply.

JRMunn

Jeannie
January 4th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Moved to Interior, Dash, Lights, and Electrical...

jbgroby
January 5th, 2018, 01:47 PM
According to Classicparts, they did not like the harnesses that were on the market, so they redesigned one that they say is exact and fits the stock hook up, Part Number 52-718 (picture attached). I'm going to take a chance and order one.

The only difference I will need to do is connect the lead coming from my pre-wired fuse block to the harness plug, should be easy.

As before I'll do a step by step tutorial with pictures and post (Similar to the window re-installation - in the hopes that it helps all.

Funky61
January 15th, 2018, 01:19 AM
Jake I know you're going to do the tutorial from a restoration aspect, but here's what I have under my dash that may help you.

jbgroby
January 15th, 2018, 01:55 PM
That does help, thank you very much, I'll start the project the first week of February. Dee and I leave on a cruise today and all the extra project money is accounted for.....

jbgroby
February 26th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Ok as promised, here is a short tutorial on the harness hook-up. It’s pretty straight forward Plug and play. I have the deluxe heater/defrost setup and this is written for combo.

Prior to starting, I would clean the spades of the switch, resistor and fan motor with an fine emery file or cloth and test them in case you need to change them out, no sense in doing this install and then needing to do again.

The new wiring harness provided by Classic Parts, follows the factory color codes and each connector is marked with a number so it’s easy to tell where each plug is connected. Also they are wrapped to keep it clean.

The only thing I did different was snip off and change the provided Plug Connector #1 (factory original design) to a spade so it would plug into my fuse block in a spare location. I added an inline fuse as well.

Connector #1, (Brown Wire) goes to power source on fuse block, you could wire direct to battery if needed, but I prefer a factory cleaner look.

Connector #2, plugs into the heater switch (fan speed) on dash assembly, this has 4 wires - Brown, Orange, Blue and Yellow connected into the plug that connects to the switch.

Connector #3 (Blue and Yellow) connect to the resistor in the back side of the plenum box, I used a small inspection mirror so I could see how to plug it in. bit of a pain to reach.

Connector #4 (orange wire with factory connector) passes through firewall and connects directly to motor lug (slide on).

You should have a working heater/defrost assembly now go forth and defrost warmly