PDA

View Full Version : Park light lenses

tbucketnut
January 14th, 2020, 08:53 PM
Quick question, were the original lenses clear and use an amber 1157 bulb or where the lenses amber and use a clear 1157 bulb?

Thank in advance,

BillT
January 14th, 2020, 10:56 PM
Amber Lenses started in '63. The Bulbs should be clear.

tbucketnut
January 15th, 2020, 12:15 AM
Thank you Bill:signthankspin:

jmfurgason
March 13th, 2020, 08:32 PM
Question for anyone Stop lights work when headlight switch on , but stop tail lights not working when lights are turned off ?? suggestions ?? Thanks JF

Cfriis
March 14th, 2020, 01:24 AM
Bad ground is likely the issue

AZKen
March 14th, 2020, 02:21 AM
JF,
If you have NOT done anything recently (messing with wiring) and the stop filament was working in those modes, then recently stopped, I agree it may be the ground. "The ground" is a big word, there are several places that could be breaking down due to loose fit, corrosion, rust.....First place to check is the bulb base to socket. It always seems strange about ground. At first thought you would say, if the thing works when lights are on, then it is getting ground. But there is an explanation for that which we don't need to discuss yet. It is also strange that both rear lights have this problem. Their grounds are separate. This leads me away from ground. But "it's always the ground":) Just like "it's always the battery".
Let us know if the tail light flashes (turn signal) during the following modes.
1. Lights on
2. Lights off
3. Lights on brake on
4. Lights off brake on
5. Does the dome light work from headlight switch?
This info may help us in troubleshooting.

The turn signal filament is the same as the brake filament. FYI: The brake switch gets it's hot feed from a dedicated fuse. When brake is applied, switch closes and sends power to the turn signal switch, which routes the power to the rear tail light brake filament. The reason is it routed thru the turn signal switch is that brake power to the rear is shut off at whatever turn signal needs to flash on a turn. Otherwise that bulb/filament would not flash. This may help in your examination of the circuit, if ground is not the issue.

It is better for a forum if a person starts a new post when a different question is asked. That way you get your own subject heading and folks will see it.

ilvracn
March 14th, 2020, 02:38 PM
I got tired of fighting turn and brake light issues, bought new led tail light assemblies from tuckers. one of the best improvements i made on my 66

jmfurgason
March 14th, 2020, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all info, tail lights are LED, brake light was working ??? will recheck grounds. JM

AZKen
March 14th, 2020, 07:36 PM
OOPs! You said the magic words which leaves me out. I don't deal with LED problems. They need a different flasher and can have all kinds of issues I haven't researched. Never have used them.

Zorba
March 14th, 2020, 09:30 PM
You need a "heavy duty" flasher for LEDs. Not because they draw more current than standard, but because they draw LESS. Not enough to run a standard flasher, the HD flashers don't care what the load is.

FetchMeAPepsi
March 14th, 2020, 09:42 PM
I'd doublecheck the polarity of the brake lights. LED is sensitive to + and -, but the original bulbs aren't.

ilvracn
March 15th, 2020, 11:24 PM
are you using led bulbs and stock light sockets? or did you upgrade the whole light? on mine the problem was the ground connection in the socket, if you mess with bulb and socket, it would work till the next time i tried to use turn or brake lights.