PDA

View Full Version : Jethro's 1964 I1000

Jethro
September 2nd, 2021, 08:54 PM
It's kinda strange how this truck story began. It all started because I got the idea that I wanted to get a different vehicle. Thought maybe a V6 car. Save some gas. A Mustang would be cool.

Checked all the local classifieds. Nothing interesting. Facebook marketplace seems to be where everything is nowadays. I'm on there every day for a couple weeks searching 94-04 Mustangs. Not finding the right one but this ad for a 64 GMC keeps popping up.

The first time I just skimmed past it. Cool truck. I've owned a couple Chevys that style. Looking for a Mustang.

The ad keeps showing up. After a few times I had to click on it and look at the pics. A couple more and I read the description. A couple more and I had to drive 300 miles to go buy it...

Drove the truck home. No dash lights. Burning a quart of oil every 30 miles. Leaking fuel pump. Mostly interstate. At night. "They might be right. I may be crazy."
Got her home in the wee hours May 1st.

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>)

Jethro
September 3rd, 2021, 04:06 PM
Now that I had the truck home I got to checking stuff out better. The fuel pump, which had a little drip when I bought the truck, was now leaking real bad. Ordered one from Rock Auto. Gotta get that fixed before I can really get to tinkering on the engine.

While I was waiting for the part I did a little cleanup and got rid of a few extra wires under the hood that had been added for unknown reasons by p-o's.

Everything was pretty crusty under the hood.

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>)

Jethro
September 3rd, 2021, 05:18 PM
My experience with inline 6 cylinders has been pretty limited. Back in the day, everybody I knew yanked em out and dropped in a small block. But I want to keep this one.

According to the VIN my truck came with the 230 cid. The guy I bought it from told me it was the original engine so the fuel pump I ordered was for the 230. When my new pump arrived it was completely different than what was on there. The guy was wrong.
Did some scraping and researching and found out I had a 250 out of a 67-70. Ordered a pump for that even tho I was kinda bummed that it wasn't the 230 that was supposed to be in there.

Once I had a fuel pump that fit and got it bolted on I fired her up and the carb immediately started spewing fuel. Ordered a rebuild kit.
In the meantime I messed around and found out the number 6 cylinder had really low compression. Found another engine, a 66 230 out of a Malibu and bought it. Figgered I had to pull the engine anyway cause the throw out bearing was growling pretty bad. Why fix an engine I didn't really want?

Got a new clutch kit and flywheel from Summit.

And dropped in the 230.

Jethro
September 3rd, 2021, 09:02 PM
Boy, that sure sounded easy!
Well, it wasn't. I ran into one thing after another but got er done.

For one thing, the carb linkage was all different on the 230 and that carb wasn't in great shape either. I had already ordered a rebuild kit for the first carb so went with that.
The only problem is I'm not a great carb guy by any means. It still leaked after I rebuilt it. So I ordered a rebuilt one.

When I went to swap the alternator in I found the front bracket was bent in and the alternator housing had a bunch ground off where the pivot bolt goes. There was no adjustment.
Lucky for me I have extra parts. I swapped in an internal regulator style and rewired accordingly. Addressed a couple other wiring issues while I was in there.

Got the engine compartment cleaned up quite a bit too.

The rebuilt carb I ordered arrived and I was less than elated. One of the top screws wasn't even tightened to touching. When I installed it fuel leaked at the inlet fitting. I had to use my old fitting to fix it. Other than that the carb works good now.

I like the way the internal regulator cleaned up the wiring. Should I have fuses in those hot wires tho? I'm thinking I should do that.

Jethro
September 4th, 2021, 12:48 AM
I had some Amazon gift cards and decided to spend em on a HEI distributor. Got it installed and the fuel pump started to leak. Had to change that out before I could even get it started to set the timing.
Remember, the one I already changed was on the 250. Lucky I had the first one I ordered for a 230.

Had a heck of a time even getting her started at all. The only way it would run was at 18 degrees advanced initial and not good then. I accidentally discovered that if I pushed the distributor toward the front of the truck the idle would speed up and she'd smooth out. Still couldn't get the timing right.
Thought maybe poor grounds?

So I grounded the frame, engine and cab real good. Didn't help the HEI. Put the old points distributor back in and got er running great.

Jethro
September 4th, 2021, 09:00 PM
Since the engine runs good now I started working on the electrical issues. Starting with the lack of instrument lighting. The printed circuit was partially fried.

I got a spare cluster with the truck. Between the two I think I have a good one now. Still need to add fuel and see if the gas gage works. Not 100 percent sure of the temp gage either. A p-o had it wired to the coil.

Today I got the tail and park lamps working.

Jethro
September 5th, 2021, 10:48 PM
Well, this is a shocking development. The Mrs. and I were out walking the dog and all of a sudden the one good brain cell I have orbiting around inside my skull happened to pass right in front. I remembered there was a whole set of NOS Monroe Gas Magnum shocks out in my pile o' truck parts.

Got to rooting around and sure nuff.

D6F864CF9D1593

They sure do look better and I bet it makes a world of difference driving.

Noticed the brake hoses are mighty crispy under there. Dual pot conversion coming soon.

Jethro
September 6th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Got one more small task done that is a big improvement. Installed a new lock cylinder in the driver's door. There was no key for the old one.

I didn't take any pics.

The cylinder came from LMC and was a pretty straight forward job to replace. There were only a couple issues. The forward door handle screw was rusted in real tight. I had to clean up the hole where the button goes with a needle file so it would slide smooth. And, this was the tricky one, the new snap ring that came with the lock didn't allow the lock to function.

The original lock had a simple wire snap ring. The replacement was a flat ring with holes for snap ring pliers. It all went together easy enough but wouldn't lock. I finally figgered out that the new flat snap ring was holding the retainer down just a wee bit farther than it should. Popped it out and put the original snap ring in and, voila, I can lock my truck.

Now I can put a radio in without worrying about it getting stolen.

FetchMeAPepsi
September 7th, 2021, 03:34 PM
subscribed for the ride

Jethro
September 8th, 2021, 02:37 AM
I hope it's a good ride Fetch. Can't wait to actually be driving this truck.
So far I'm up to like page 28 on your build journal. It's been a fun and interesting read. Your avatar cracks me up!

Jethro
September 15th, 2021, 09:11 PM
Quick update; I got a new ignition switch to replace the janky Ace Hardware universal with the padlock looking key. Well, that opened up a whole nother can of worms. Brightly colored worms wrapped in tape up under the dash.
The farther I got into it the more problems I found. It's been quite a learning experience. I'll do a complete update in a few days or when I get done...
Stay tuned.

Jethro
September 19th, 2021, 04:58 PM
It was right before Labor day weekend and I really wanted to drive the old truck some. Just had to button up a couple things on Fri. Of course it took longer than I planned. The insurance is "suspended" so I didn't have to pay but a couple bucks a month while I've been working on her. They closed before I got there.

Seeing as I couldn't drive without insurance I figgered I'd spend some time on some small bits. Like the ignition switch. A p-o had installed a universal switch from Ace Hardware and I didn't like it. The key looked like it fit a padlock and it was ****-eyed in the dash. I had one from LMS.

When I removed the switch from the dash I just reached up behind instead of crawling under cause I'm old and don't bend well. Not sure what it looked like before I moved it but there were wires not connected and all but the pink one came off in my hand.
Here's what it looked like. The brn/white and red both fell off about 2 seconds later.

Jethro
September 19th, 2021, 05:26 PM
I knew where the red, pink and purple wires go and I saw where the brn/white was before it fell off but I wasn't sure that was correct. I had no idea where the green was supposed to go. And the hardware store switch was a 4 terminal whereas the replacement was a 5 lug.

After searching the internet for a wiring diagram for hours I had no luck finding one that matched my truck. So I posted a question in the electric section of this forum. Gmcjuniorvan posted the exact diagram I needed which was very helpful. AZKen also gave me some solid advice. Thanks guys!

Long story short, I ended up with a completely disassembled dash harness finding all sorts of problems along the way. When I made it to the fuse block this is what awaited.

There was a wire nut sorta connecting those 2 loose ends.

Not looking good.

It seems that most of the fuse clips needed to rebuild these fuse blocks are no longer available. I searched and searched. If anyone has a source I would like to know.
Lucky for me I have a garage full of stuff. Old truck part pack rat. There's also a 66 Chevy in there.

The whole dash harness got robbed from the Chevy. I discovered that the 2 harnesses are the same at their core. The differences being extra wires on the 66 Chevy harness. Between the two I used the best parts to build one good harness for the GMC. Except one connector.
Got to rooting around in my wire box and found another partial harness that had that end. :-)

She's back alive again now. It's the weekend again. And I still didn't get the insurance turned back on. Gotta do that tomorrow. I'm itching to take her out for a spin.

Jethro
September 19th, 2021, 05:27 PM
That second pic was supposed to be this.

Jethro
September 20th, 2021, 12:57 AM
AZKen linked me to a video how to clean wires with a salt and vinegar solution. Then neutralize the acid in the vinegar with a baking soda and water solution. I used it on my connectors and it worked great!

A good soak for about an hour took this

To this

My fuse block took a more manual approach. Ain't perfect but it is much better than before.

And the whole dash lights up like a Christmas tree. The key was off in this pic but the gen, oil and turn indicator bulbs all work too.

Pretty sure the gas gage works now. Tomorrow I'll get the insurance turned back on and drive her.

Funky61
September 20th, 2021, 04:54 PM
Boy Jethro that cleaned great and those dash lights have really come to life! Nice tip and video link too.

Jethro
September 20th, 2021, 09:12 PM
Yeah. I was amazed!
I'm very grateful to AZKen for that cleaning tip.

I just got back from the insurance office. Gonna take her out for a spin in a bit. First to the gas station. Might maybe even stop by the car wash. If all goes well in town we'll hit some back roads.
First I gotta get out of these work boots.

Jethro
September 21st, 2021, 03:00 PM
Well, we didn't get to the car wash but she drove great both in and out of town. Cruised right down the back country roads at 55. Man, those new shocks made a big difference!
I drove her to work today.

9 gallons of gas didn't make the fuel gage go any higher. Looks like a new sender gets added to the list. I keep forgetting to look at the temp gage until it's been running for a while. Gotta remember to check that cold.

Jethro
September 27th, 2021, 11:55 PM
Since my last update the old gal got new fluids in her tranny and rear end. Looked like it was more than due. It ain't easy to find old school lube now days!

She shifts smoother now and ain't quite as noisy going down the road. Inside the pumpkin didn't look too bad. A bit of rust pitting on the gears but I think that dog will hunt for a while yet. 3:54 gears in there.

I've been looking for the elusive GMC heater knob. Pert near impossible to find.

Unless, that is, you look in the ashtray! Woo-hoo!

Been getting some windshield time in finally. She runs great down the back roads. Put about 150 miles on over the weekend. The last 79 miles worth I did the math... 17.1mpg! I'm surprised and really happy about that!

Drove her to work today and stopped by the car wash for a much deserved bath on the way home. Layers came off! I bet it's been years since she got washed.

Jethro
September 28th, 2021, 12:02 AM
Dang. I just realized looking at that pic of the knob from the ashtray... that probably ain't it. Looks like wipers?

Does anybody have a pic of the knob I'm looking for?

jagarra
September 28th, 2021, 01:11 AM
This knob matches the others in your dash. <br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>
Normally the heater controls are a group four lever type with a small knob. I don't recognise your switch and where it is located, maybe it was added on later.

Ed Snyder
September 28th, 2021, 01:32 AM
I've been looking for the elusive GMC heater knob. Pert near impossible to find.

The deluxe heater came with the slider knobs. Yours is the somewhat rare standard heater control. It came with a round, oblong knob. You should be able to see an example in these old photos.

Jethro
September 30th, 2021, 09:09 PM
That's it, Ed. And that's about as good a pic as I've seen. It's different than the Chevy. Do you know if the Chevy knob will work until I can find the GMC knob?

Ed Snyder
October 1st, 2021, 06:45 AM
That's it, Ed. And that's about as good a pic as I've seen. It's different than the Chevy. Do you know if the Chevy knob will work until I can find the GMC knob?

Sorry, Jethro, but I'm not familiar with the Chevy knobs. All I can suggest is just to try it and see if it works.

Jethro
October 1st, 2021, 03:58 PM
I s'pose I'll give it a try. Cold weather is coming soon.

Jethro
February 22nd, 2022, 02:00 AM
Score!
I got a screamin' deal on a used C⁵lifford 4 barrel intake, Holley carb. And Clifford headers.
More stuff for spring.

The chrome came from Amazon.

Jethro
July 20th, 2022, 09:54 PM
It's been a little while since I've had a chance to do any work on the truck. Seems like there's always something else that has to be done first. Finally got some free time tho and used it well.

The P.O. had told me he just did the brakes. They worked fair... mostly. Except when they pulled hard left... sometimes. Or right... occasionally. And the brake fluid would disappear intermittently. Otherwise they were fine.

The original single line brake system is not one I like. Last year I bought a master cylinder for a 4-drum 67 C10. Also all 3 hoses and a roll of steel line and some fittings. Just now got the chance to upgrade.

The O.E. master cylinder mounts to the firewall with 2 bolts in a diagonal pattern.
The 67 master mounts horizontal.

Luckily, GMC put both bolt patterns there for me. I did have to switch the bolts around. There are 2 different length bolts. The long ones go thru the master cylinder.

Jethro
July 20th, 2022, 10:17 PM
There is only the one brake line from the O.E. master cylinder. It goes down to the frame and connects to a tee. From there, one side feeds the Left front wheel cylinder and the other side feeds a line to another tee over on the right side.

I ran a new steel line from the master cylinder down to that first tee. I also ran a new short steel line over to the left front brake hose and installed a new hose while I was there.
Here's where we start to change things. After removing the steel line to the right side tee I made a new steel line all the way to the right front hose. I had purchased a new hose but this one looked fine so I left it.
Now the front brakes are isolated from the rear on one half of the new master.

Next I removed the tee from the right side and the entire steel line and crispy old hose to the rear brakes. A new steel line was installed all the way to the new rear hose.
Now the rear brakes are isolated on the other half of the new master.

The pedal was really low even after bleeding the system. Because the rod from the pedal to the master was a half inch short. I cut it and lengthened it. I can't recommend just anybody doing this. Kinda important. But that's what I did. It's sleeved. Plenty strong.

Jethro
July 20th, 2022, 10:40 PM
I feel a whole lot safer now with the split brake system.

If you wanted to do this conversion and your brakes really were in good condition you'd be done. This was not the case.
When I test drove my truck it dove left hard every time. At least it was consistent now.

The next chance I got I pulled the wheels for a proper look-see.
To say I was unimpressed by the last mechanic's skills is an understatement.

Both front brakes were installed backwards. The bearings were just barely greased. Left front cylinder leaking. Right front adjuster all the way loose and froze.
Rear brakes had a leaky cylinder on the right. Both primary shoes on right rear. Both secondary shoes on left. Parking cables cut on both sides. Random hardware.

I replaced the right front hose after all. Replaced both front wheel cylinders. And put all the shoes on correctly. Adjusted everything up and bled the front again.

Stops great now!

I have the 2 rear wheel cylinders and a hardware kit. Have a replacement parking brake actuator for the missing one. Waiting on new cables. Then I'll finish up the rear brakes and be really happy.

Next project will be a radio install.
The radio hole is already hacked so I don't have to even feel guilty.

Jethro
July 31st, 2022, 06:37 PM
So I let better judgement prevail and worked on other stuff before the radio. Namely the headlights. They were all wonky. The left pointed kinda down and the right pointed up and right. Hard to see at night...

I ordered a whole set of adjuster kits and springs a few weeks ago and decided to tackle a quick and easy job. Or so I thought.

The grill was a little bent. Made it pretty hard just to remove the trim bezels. Thought I took a pic before. Guess not.
Anyway, once the bezels were off I could see that the springs were all stretched out and most all of the adjusters were broken. The driver side horizontal was nothing more than a sheet metal screw.

Jethro
July 31st, 2022, 06:52 PM
It was at this point that I figgered out the O.E. adjusters are riveted in as are the springs. In order to remove the headlight backing plates the whole grill has to come out.

Here's the best pic I have of the grill. Since it was out I took the opportunity to do a little bit of hammer and dolly work. Looks quite a bit better now. And the bezels go in and out much easier.

During reassembly be really careful while you're stretching those springs back on with a greasy old seal pick.
Probably not the correct tool...

Not sure if you can tell the difference in the grille. Bolted on a chrome plate holder too.

And a dome light lens to replace the missing one.